George Floyd Thread

greg775

Serious situation in Minneapolis. Been reading Wed night about looting and angry people in the streets and in front of houses of different people involved in the shooting and the prosecution of the impending case. Stay safe and may justice be served as soon as legally possible.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Some crazy protesting going on in Chicago right now. Destroying police cars seems to be a thing. What has happened and what has been happening for years is unjust, but this is no way to protest it.

On one hand, I agree. It doesn’t make sense to me to break the windows of a business or loot stores. On the other hand, Colin Kaepernick tried to protest the same issue silently by simply kneeling, and he was vilified.

Im not really sure what alternative form of protest will actually make a difference.

• Like 3

Some footage I shot of the protest last night that made it to CNN. The big one they used was of a cop car on fire. 

I was there protesting from 4pm to 2am. Everyone was peaceful until some of the police started getting aggressive and when people from outside the protest started to loot. It’s important to separate the looters from the people who were down there protesting peacefully. 

As a black person we’re expected to just swallow it every time an unarmed black person is killed, especially by the police. And everytime we do protest peacefully, we’re told we’re going too far and are vilified.

People are fed up with being gunned down in the streets. People are fed up with police officers not being held accountable for their actions. If there are people out there who truly feel that the only way they can get their voices heard is by rioting, we have to ask ourselves what brought us to this point.

I saw people looting grocery stores and pharmacies last night because they‘re hungry, because they don’t have access to health care and because they’re out of work/the government hasn’t provided for them since the pandemic started. The system has failed these people and it has to be addressed. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

At the risk of getting this topic closed, and getting in trouble, can I ask if I'm allowed to be sad when I see the city of Chicago torched and graffittied and shattered (windows) and looted and see my city of Kansas City torched and graffittied and shattered (windows)? Two beautiful cities being assaulted? I've watched two of Martin Luther King's closest relatives on TV saying he would be so sad at this. And I am of the opinion the troublemakers for the most part are planted in cities to cause as much destruction as they can.

I am a believer in things can change if we don't give up and we can achieve change and justice without violence. Seeing a mob of white kids (the video I saw they were white kids) destroy a mall gleefully over the pretense of protest in Scottsdale, Arizona actually makes me sad.

I wish people would listen to Martin Luther King's living relatives and how sad they are too.

Don't worry, this is my only post on the matter as I pray for everybody's safety in the United States.

Edited by greg775

44 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

It’s important to separate the looters from the people who were down there protesting peacefully. 

Amen. And those people must be stopped. The ones who are organized from afar and there to cause chaos and destroy a city.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Jesus christ. This is a closed expressway, by order of the city, so the truck shouldn't have even been on there. A bunch of people saying there's at least a confederate flag somewhere on the truck.

Well, on the plus side, that’s not as bad as the NYPD police wagon plowing forward into into the crowd through a barrier/bike fence, Bakersfield (suv or minivan just plowing through an intersection, reverses and comes back through) or another scene (Denver?) where people were trying to jump on top and the driver panicked and tried to hit at least one protestor.  Then there was the Atlanta officer run over by an ATV.

(The first thing that immediately to mind when the truck driver stopped for the kid (?) in the road was the Reginald Denny situation during the LA Riots.)

And apparently the White House on Friday night was worried enough about a potential breach that Trump had to be locked down in the secure bunker for one hour...would have been first “occupation” of WH since the War of 1812.

Edited by caulfield12

An Info Wars crew burned down a homeless man's belongings in Austin last night. They've been spreading the video around social media platforms, saying that it is BLM members in an effort to demonize the protestors. 

Make sure you get the full story of what happens in any video before you come to any conclusion.

Military police arriving on the grounds of the White House.

Surreal.

Might be the first active deployment of troops in Washington since the end of the Civil War and beginning of Reconstruction Era?

The Insurrection Act of 1807 invoked to create a photo opportunity holding up a Bible at St. John’s Church?  What?  And is America now officially at war...with itself?   But (fine print) that act is only available to be applied at the request of a state government first.

Deliberately confronting completely peaceful protestors with tear gas, mounted police and rubber bullets....ummm...this isn’t over by a long shot.

Edited by caulfield12

On 6/1/2020 at 8:18 AM, Balta1701 said:

Jesus christ. This is a closed expressway, by order of the city, so the truck shouldn't have even been on there. A bunch of people saying there's at least a confederate flag somewhere on the truck.

Minnesota authorities are now saying a man who drove a tanker truck toward protesters may not have done so intentionally.

What happened: On Sunday, Bogdan Vechirko drove a tanker truck toward a group of protesters on the I-35W bridge near Minneapolis. It doesn't appear anybody was injured. He was subsequently arrested and charged with assault.

On Sunday, Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington's department tweeted that the driver was “inciting a crowd of peaceful demonstrators.”

But Harrington walked it back today, saying, “We don't have any information that makes this seem like this was an intentional act."

Harrington says the state had not yet finished putting up roadblocks when Vechirko was on the freeway. “He saw the crowd, and from what it looked like, panicked,” said Harrington.

Vechirko is being interviewed by investigators, but Department of Corrections Commissioner Paul Schnell says it will be up to the county attorney whether to pursue the case.

Jail records show that Vechirko was still in custody without bail Monday night.

www.cnn.com

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So peaceful protesters are shot with rubber bullets and tear gassed for a photo op, and the people who are OK with that think governors are dictators for making them stay home during a pandemic. Crazy what has happened to America.

I'm worried about physical America right now in terms of if this goes on, all cities will physically be destroyed. At some point the looters and arsonists have to be physically stopped or we will have no cities. When are they going to attack and burn down apartment complexes and homes in neighborhoods to go with the businesses?

Eventually they we will be without power and water if they get organized enough to attack those things and the anarchy is going to affect our ability to just survive (food, water, shelter).

The people who are making the trouble and not peacefully protesting. have to be stopped before everything gets burned to a crisp. Why can't we identify the organized groups causing the trouble and stop them before it's too late? If this goes on night after night all summer and our police don't stop it (one NYC cop admitted he's laying down cause he doesn't want to get hurt and if he fights back he'll be fired for too much force) we will all be without shelter and food.

Can somebody give us updates on Illinois violence on a daily basis? I'm worried about Naperville after last night.

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm worried about physical America right now in terms of if this goes on, all cities will physically be destroyed. At some point the looters and arsonists have to be physically stopped or we will have no cities. When are they going to attack and burn down apartment complexes and homes in neighborhoods to go with the businesses?

Eventually they we will be without power and water if they get organized enough to attack those things and the anarchy is going to affect our ability to just survive (food, water, shelter).

The people who are making the trouble and not peacefully protesting. have to be stopped before everything gets burned to a crisp. Why can't we identify the organized groups causing the trouble and stop them before it's too late? If this goes on night after night all summer and our police don't stop it (one NYC cop admitted he's laying down cause he doesn't want to get hurt and if he fights back he'll be fired for too much force) we will all be without shelter and food.

Can somebody give us updates on Illinois violence on a daily basis? I'm worried about Naperville after last night.

Ok Boomer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I live in Uptown where the main protest was last night. The target where they stopped in front of I have shopped at since they converted it from a CTA rail yard.

Some windows  were broken, some shops were broken into. Most of that seemed to be inside jobs or opportunists. On a regular warm night in Uptown there may be shootings, there may be windows broken, there may be bad stuff. It wasnt the end of the world, it was just another day. But it was strange to hear people acting like Uptown is Lincoln Park. I guess that means this area has finally made it.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

You may want to consider who is instigating the violence in many cases:

Many, many more examples from across the country are available.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have to defund the police and redistribute that money into the most economically devastated communities. I'm glad to see all these organizations in Minnesota end their contracts with the police department.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Lessons learned since 1619 in America?

Well, pretty much none.

And there are no organized groups.  Antifa is neither organized, nor can you classify it as domestic terrorism when there have been at least ten times as many “right wing” acts of violence ending in loss of life than from the left.

And it hasn’t even been substantiated that Antifa is involved at all.  Lots of bogus twitter accounts pretending to be Antifa, inciting readers to violence...reports of agitators (white and black) coming in from the outside and pretending to be part of the protests before looting, hoping to create a war between the police and protestors.   Could be Russian or Chinese bots online, but there’s definitely no proof and no domestic terrorism group has ever been labeled as such because during the next administration the Tea Party Patriots and Michigan Militia would be on the list and it would just go back and forth.

Until we honestly deal with the problems as a country and have an open/frank discussion about race, this cycle will just keep repeating. 

African-Americans are the likeliest to be classified as essential workers and be forced to continue working in hazardous conditions, the likeliest to die from Covid, the likeliest to lose a low-paying job, the likeliest to be victims of police brutality.   

You can follow a straight line from 1967-68 to 1992 to 2014 to today...things still haven’t changed all that much. Quelling the violence/looting is just 1/4th of the problem here.

How would Pope John Paul II deal with this issue, in your opinion?

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

They have to defund the police and redistribute that money into the most economically devastated communities. I'm glad to see all these organizations in Minnesota end their contracts with the police department.  

Well they are also shooting cops as well.  4 shot last night in St. Louis.

Then this wonderful guy decided to shoot a cop in Vegas last night.  

And a couple of cops got ran over in NYC.

But yes lets defund the police because its the cool thing to say.  Are there bad police sure.   There are bad people all over.  Remove the unions from protecting them..  Fire them.  And prosecute them with the fullest extend of the law if they fuck up.  But all of these assholes who are using this as an opportunity to play grand theft auto live edition and shoot police and loot businesses can go fuck themselves.  If you buy into that this is acceptable then you are truly lost.  And for all of those who think we dont need police and can defund them.  Good luck with that.  I hope you are ready for GTA live edition all the time.  

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well they are also shooting cops as well.  4 shot last night in St. Louis.

Then this wonderful guy decided to shoot a cop in Vegas last night.  

And a couple of cops got ran over in NYC.

But yes lets defund the police because its the cool thing to say.  Are there bad police sure.   There are bad people all over.  Remove the unions from protecting them..  Fire them.  And prosecute them with the fullest extend of the law if they fuck up.  But all of these assholes who are using this as an opportunity to play grand theft auto live edition and shoot police and loot businesses can go fuck themselves.  If you buy into that this is acceptable then you are truly lost.  And for all of those who think we dont need police and can defund them.  Good luck with that.  I hope you are ready for GTA live edition all the time.  

So you don't think the 1000s of officers caught on 100s of videos attacking unarmed protesters and escalating situations are a huge part of the problem? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Chisoxfn changed the title to George Floyd Thread
  • Quin locked this topic