George Floyd Thread

greg775

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

More police violence on innocent people tonight, this time in Buffalo.

Where are all the good cops immediately arresting the guy who just violently assaulted this man?

edit: oh they're just blatantly lying about, natch

Edited by StrangeSox

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

More police violence on innocent people tonight, this time in Buffalo.

Where are all the good cops immediately arresting the guy who just violently assaulted this man?

edit: oh they're just blatantly lying about, natch

Somehow it’s quite doubtful Fox News will be showing THAT lowlight...

#SayHerName: Tepid response to Breonna Taylor's killing has many wondering which black lives matter?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/say-her-name-tepid-response-to-breonna-taylors-killing-has-many-wondering-which-black-lives-matter-183720214.html

We are def. running low on good cops who may be in hiding. We literally share a country with people who deeply resent having to be distracted for one moment by the death of a black man. They won't have it. 

Ripping off a Facebook friend's post

Man, white folks all over social media are big mad today. It's like they're all uncomfortable and angry about people making assumptions about their character because of their skin color, and I even saw where some of them don't feel safe to go out into the streets because they're white.

Man, that must be a b****, huh?

• Love 5

11 minutes ago, pcq said:

We are def. running low on good cops who may be in hiding. We literally share a country with people who deeply resent having to be distracted for one moment by the death of a black man. They won't have it. 

I'd recommend that everyone go read "Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland."

It's not about policing per se. It's about the power of ideologically driven group think that can get, well, perfectly ordinary people to commit heinous crimes against their fellow man. The men in Battalion 101 weren't ardent Nazis. They were drafted into rear guard service from a fairly non Nazi part of Germany from not particularly Nazi friendly backgrounds and demographics. Nevertheless, their crimes against humanity slowly ratcheted up to marching thousands to the edge of mass graves, shooting the people in the base of the skull, and shoving them into the pit to make room for the next batch.

American police forces obviously are not at Nazi mass murder. It's not anywhere I think they'd ever get. But the point is that sort of social organizational influence can lead nearly anyone to do horrific things in the right conditions. That sort of deep organizational rot seems to be where a lot of police forces are in this country today. A seige-occupation mentality where the people they are policing aren't their fellow citizens and residents but others. Look into David Grossman and the training his group gives to police agencies across the country that drills into them that they're all in war zones and need to be ready to kill.

Even if you want to completely discount any analogies to modern policing issues, it's a very good and important book. Think Stanford prison experiments but, you know, horribly real.

Edited by StrangeSox

You know what's really telling...

Walmart has pulled all guns and ammunition off their shelves in response to the protesting and rioting that has been happening. 

The website to apply for a FOID card is down for maintenance. 

There are white supremacists marching the streets hurting people of color and we can't even arm ourselves. 

Every time a white kid shoots up a school, Walmart has never even considered pulling their guns off the shelves. 

I can't believe these cops just keep fucking up over and over and over again since the murder happened, on video nonetheless. Insane. You'd think they would practice some decency with the limelight on them.

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

Walmart has pulled all guns and ammunition off their shelves in response to the protesting and rioting that has been happening. 

The website to apply for a FOID card is down for maintenance. 

There are white supremacists marching the streets hurting people of color and we can't even arm ourselves. 

Every time a white kid shoots up a school, Walmart has never even considered pulling their guns off the shelves. 

Do people start mass rioting and looting when a school gets shot up? No, they don't. That has nothing to do with your stance on this issue either, it is just a fact. They don't want the guns stolen and in the hands of looters. It seems blatantly clear to me. Not sure what is confusing you here. 

27 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I can't believe these cops just keep fucking up over and over and over again since the murder happened, on video nonetheless. Insane. You'd think they would practice some decency with the limelight on them.

Most people never really have those type of encounters with police. They can go their whole lives never even being pulled over. But anyone who has witnessed them enough knows that the violence by the police can occur aggressively and without provocation.

This really is their best behavior. Its what happens when you put the mask and tactical gear on. They are dressed like combatants, you wear that with the expectation of combat. 

Militarization of the police is an entirely different issue though.

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The website to apply for a FOID card is down for maintenance

There is a difference in protesting and looting.  When a white kid shoots up a school a mob typically doesn't sack the local Walmart and steal everything including weapons.  Taking the weapons away here seems like a prudent step.  

8 hours ago, Butter Parque said:

This is all very trite. 

Whether you're white or black, tell your kids that they have no chance for success and don't be shocked if they achieve nothing. 

If they want to teach their kids that there's a boogeyman out there to get them if they are attempt to succeed, then let me keep my tax dollars because they have no hope anyway. 

The idea that all blacks are being held down by this invisible force is just insane. I don't know, go to the office parks once in a while, there's plenty of African Americans out there earning a living. Most of them got an education. They pay taxes. I have doubts that any of them would resort to a level of lawlessness that includes burning down a building or stealing sneakers.  But I guess they snuck past the society that sought to oppress them. 

Do you actually think systematic oppression doesn’t exist?

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Greg you can't throw money at the problem like that ffs

Well, reparations is going to be a big point in the upcoming election. Biden is in favor; I would guess Trump for sure is not. If Joe B as expected, wins, he has to come up with an amount. I say $1 million per single African American person and $1 million per family "should" end a lot of this strife. That's a lot of money. And a very generous amount for reparations. Plus my suggestion about having Joe appoint an African American police watchdog or Police Observer if you will, who has an office next to the police chief and has the same powers as chief. We need solutions and I have two. I would also assume their would be Native American reparations. If so, the same amount of money. $1 million per Native American single person or $1 million per family unit.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Well, reparations is going to be a big point in the upcoming election. Biden is in favor; I would guess Trump for sure is not. If Joe B as expected, wins, he has to come up with an amount. I say $1 million per single African American person and $1 million per family "should" end a lot of this strife. That's a lot of money. And a very generous amount for reparations. Plus my suggestion about having Joe appoint an African American police watchdog or Police Observer if you will, who has an office next to the police chief and has the same powers as chief. We need solutions and I have two. I would also assume their would be Native American reparations. If so, the same amount of money. $1 million per Native American single person or $1 million per family unit.

Why?

There’s clearly no consensus on this issue...and I can hardly imagine Kamala Harris, the Atlanta mayor or Rep. Val Demings will make that a pre-condition of being the Biden VP choice.

Saying it’s going to be part of the Democratic platform any more so than UBI or blanket student loan forgiveness is dubious at best, especially at the numbers you’re bandying about.

Btw, the 75 year old in Buffalo was in serious condition overnight in the hospital.  Two police officers suspended so far.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

They're demonstrating their power and unaccountability.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love that in this insane proposal that families somehow get less than single people.

• Love 1

CPD getting in on the violence, dragging two women from their car and assaulting them, including kneeling on one of their necks.

https://abc7chicago.com/cpd-officers-under-investigation-in-brickyard-mall-incident;-family-to-speak-out/6230816/

As for how much we spend on policing vs. social programs, another illustration. This time from LA via an @dril tweet comparison.

What blows my mind is the violence by some police still going on when they have to know everything is being videotaped.  Do they feel invincible?  Are they not concerned about the consequences?  And why aren't the good cops (there are more of them than the bad ones) speaking out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What blows my mind is the violence by some police still going on when they have to know everything is being videotaped.  Do they feel invincible?  Are they not concerned about the consequences?  And why aren't the good cops (there are more of them than the bad ones) speaking out?

1. They do feel invincible and don't fear consequences. These are deliberate shows of force
  2. Group psychology makes sure the good cops are at best complicit

Here's some more of our boys in blue, this time giving armed white supremacists a heads up that they're about to violently assault and arrest protesters. They try to do it discretely so that they don't "appear to be playing favorites." They similarly let armed white supremacist gangs roam around fishtown in Philly a few days back. What more are they doing across the country that isn't being caught on film?

edit: and why would law enforcement be seizing masks?

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love that in this insane proposal that families somehow get less than single people.

Well, I thought the whole point was to encourage marriage/families, so interpreted it as $1 million per person and a bonus of $1 extra million per married family?

Good thing it’s not the Philippines, the average payout would be $7-11 million.  Somehow a system that incentivizes having more children (unless all the money to raise them was held back until 18/21/25, which would make raising them better a bit challenging) seems a bit dubious, at best.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Old habits die hard. This is just how they treat people. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just like doing the abstract math that he presents here like we are shaking change out of our pockets. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just like doing the abstract math that he presents here like we are shaking change out of our pockets. 

It’s utter insanity.  I mean, we gave people like $1,200 per eligible person for COVID-19 and that cost us nearly a 1/4 of a trillion dollars.  I believe our Federal revenue is somewhere in the $3M to $4M range per year, so basically a 1/16 of that.

Now give the ~40M African Americans $1M each and well I can’t do that math.  But I think we can just safely assume it would be a bit of a financial problem 😉

• Quin locked this topic