Juan Soto out Opening Day with COVID-19

Steve9347

2 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

There’s no way they’d scrap the season on opening day right....... RIGHT?!

Apparently he’s asymptotic and the rest of the team tested negative. Hopefully it’s just a false positive test for Soto. 

The rest of the team tested negative two days ago, when he tested positive. We’re just getting those results now. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Really, really bad news. This is the nightmare scenario we all knew could happen.......and it may be happening before Opening Day. A player tested positive for COVID......and played the same night. That is a PROBLEM

This is why depth is super important this year. Hopefully they were taking precautions in the clubhouse/on the field and nobody else retests positive. 

Selfishly, I just hope MLB doesn’t do anything drastic in response to this. We need sports back in this country!

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Really, really bad news. This is the nightmare scenario we all knew could happen.......and it may be happening before Opening Day. A player tested positive for COVID......and played the same night. That is a PROBLEM

Idk how you get around postponing the nationals and the orioles games until tests come back

Edited by mqr

Apparently Soto tested positive a few weeks ago, came back with the team for a week or so and then tested positive again. This should not be news, as these things happen. He could be completely over it and non-contagious, but has virus fragments in his system that triggered a positive. 

This kind of stuff has been happening for months, it shouldn't be a surprise and MLB should have thought of this very situation in their return to play protocol. 

It's not a brand new positive so it's not as big of a deal as it would have been if it was. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems to me that there’s no way they should be playing tonight.  What if the results come back Saturday and every Nats player has it (not realistic, I know)?  The Orioles and Yankees would have to quarantine then as well.

The way this shit spreads, this is realistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Soto was in quarantine before but never positive until now

Really? 

Oh shit, then that's a bigger deal than I thought. 

idk what happens now....this could kill the season. 

That would make it ~3 weeks from exposure to positive test.....that's not good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Bad Hombre said:

There’s no way they’d scrap the season on opening day right....... RIGHT?!

Apparently he’s asymptotic and the rest of the team tested negative. Hopefully it’s just a false positive test for Soto. 

It's not 0%, but the false positive rates for these tests is really, really low.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but did people actually think this wouldn’t happen?

1 hour ago, Tony said:

We all want sports back, and I agree having a nightly distraction for all of us is really important....but if this country isn't able to get back results with in a few hours at this point.....you can't put your players in danger. 

Oh I get what you’re saying now, but are tests really supposed to come back that quickly?  I guess I assumed there was always a lag effect and this would no doubt happen throughout the season, which is why masks and social distancing is of the utmost importance.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you going to panic every time a single player tests positive?

I am when they were playing games after giving a positive test, this whole thing is completely untenable if that's the case. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I figured the turnaround time on a test was a good 24 hours, which if true, wouldn’t allow for such a scenario to work.

But it sounds like it’s been 48-72 hours, which is insane. In the real world, you’re supposed to quarantine if you’re in contact with a positive person.  In this case, you’re right back on the field while waiting for results. Just seems idiotic to me.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But it sounds like it’s been 48-72 hours, which is insane. In the real world, you’re supposed to quarantine if you’re in contact with a positive person.  In this case, you’re right back on the field while waiting for results. Just seems idiotic to me.

Did he know he was exposed to someone with COVID?  Maybe I don’t have all the facts here.  I do agree 48 to 72 hours seems pretty crazy.