NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

On the TD, Trevathan didn't start covering the WR, he started in the middle to look like a potential blitzer then backed off and headed outside. He wouldn't have even been in position to make contact with the WR within 5 yards. 

Yeah - that play was just a disaster of a play call. It was like asking Danny T to guard Randy Moss while running with his pants down at his ankles. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Mingos was definitely toughest, vildor has to have his.

Bears need a perfect game to beat Packers. They were in it into fourth quarter despite their own screw ups (Kmet fumble and the long TD). They also didn’t execute in red zone at all - got too cute/conservative. 

They will lose to Packers 8 or 9 of every 10 games - because Green Bay is as good as anyone in the league. Mitch might have had Robinson on his bad, nearly INT red zone pass in first half if through an accurate ball. Ball got away from him. 

That Kmet fumble hurt - partly because I thought he was done and partly because it happened when they were driving. 

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Unfortunately Alabama isn't stupid enough to hire him. There's only one program that's both stupid enough to hire Gase and unlikeable enough to wish they would, but I'd just as soon they let Jim Harbaugh fail for a few more years.

Hey gase was on Saban’s LSU staff!

4 hours ago, bmags said:

He has good defensive numbers because he has a good (albeit declining) defense but he’s a paint by numbers guy that adds nothing.

When you say declining, do you mean in terms of age or statistically speaking?

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Ok I’ve seen enough of Duke Shelley. Maybe we should just put trvathan at Cb.

As if they actually had a choice in cornerbacks with higher upside than the youngsters, unless McManis was that option.

3 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This shit ass team will “make the playoffs”, lose the first round, and retain all its personnel. Same old story.

What would your plan be for this offseason?

2 hours ago, bmags said:

This team reminds me of the 94 bears. Oh well. But I think trade Mack if you can, keep Hicks, and there are pieces here.

Trade Mack but keep Hicks? Where’s the upside in that?

2 hours ago, Tony said:

3-7 to finish the season, sneak into the playoffs to get beat...and come back with the same pieces in place for 2021. How can you not get excited for that??!?!?

What would be your plan for this offseason? How do we know they won’t make changes?

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Bears at New Orleans Sunday 3:40 on CBS

Which means Kamara can play, Joniak and Thayer mentioned he couldn’t play if it was next Saturday because of the COVID-19 protocol.

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

When you say declining, do you mean in terms of age or statistically speaking?

As if they actually had a choice in cornerbacks with higher upside than the youngsters, unless McManis was that option.

What would your plan be for this offseason?

Trade Mack but keep Hicks? Where’s the upside in that?

What would be your plan for this offseason? How do we know they won’t make changes?

Which means Kamara can play, Joniak and Thayer mentioned he couldn’t play if it was next Saturday because of the COVID-19 protocol.

Beast, I wouldn’t allow Ryan Pace to make another first round selection for this team.  This roster is heading in the wrong direction, and I wouldn’t wait another year for the bottom to fall out completely 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Beast, I wouldn’t allow Ryan Pace to make another first round selection for this team.  This roster is heading in the wrong direction, and I wouldn’t wait another year for the bottom to fall out completely 

Fair enough so you fire Pace. What do you do with Nagy? What do you do to the roster if they hired a football mind to be Pace’s boss and Nagy stays?

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Fair enough so you fire Pace. What do you do with Nagy? What do you do to the roster if they hired a football mind to be Pace’s boss and Nagy stays?

I start over. I just don’t believe in the talent they have assembled. Moreover, I think the problem is fairly simple. It’s just been beaten to death so we want to talk about something else.

You went all-in on Mitch. You used significant capital to acquire him, and decide he was the franchise, he was the guy. You built your team to compete for a Super Bowl with Mitch on his rookie deal. It didn’t work. You failed at finding the right guy for the most important position in sports. Right now the odds for the Super Bowl are Chiefs +175, Green Bay +500, Saints +750 in that order. So Mahomes, Rodgers and Brees. 

Until you can find “the guy” they aren’t doing anything. You took a shot with Mitch. I applaud them going all-in. It failed. The job for the next guy has to be finding a franchise QB. It makeS figuring everything else out that much easier. 

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And people actually want to commit to Mitch Trubisky as our QB.

The bigger question is why did Nagy take back play calling for this game. I really couldn’t figure out why they weren’t throwing any intermediary routes. Mitch should have had plenty of chances for 10-20 yard play action strikes but it just didn’t look like they were calling it. 

Mitch is clearly not a top5 QB - no debating that. But I still think you keep him and look at someone like Trask or if one of the many top qbs are there in 1st go  ahead and think about it. 

I’m also digging into what happened with Wentz. Last year he was special with crap around him. I think Pederson is a mess right now and Wentz failed this year - but he had a lot of franchise qb in him. 

58 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What are the options?  It is easy to say they should move on but to whom do they move to?

In all honesty, we need to blow this thing up.  We don’t have a legit QB, we don’t have an O-Line, our best WR is a UFA and we have little depth at the position.  The defense is really good, but is expensive and getting older.  Our window to win with this group is quickly coming to an end and I have zero faith in Pace solving all our offensive issues this offseason given our current salary cap & draft pick situations.

This draft is loaded with QB talent and we can’t afford to come out of it empty handed.  Mitch is not the long-term answer and we are simply delaying the inevitable by signing him a multi-year deal IMO.  I’d rather take a QB in the 2nd (Trask / Jones) or 3rd round (Newman) and roll the dice on someone like Winston for a year if we still want to go for it.  Even if these guys are long-shots, we need to start investing into the QB position until we finally hit on someone.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In all honesty, we need to blow this thing up.  We don’t have a legit QB, we don’t have an O-Line, our best WR is a UFA and we have little depth at the position.  The defense is really good, but is expensive and getting older.  Our window to win with this group is quickly coming to an end and I have zero faith in Pace solving all our offensive issues this offseason given our current salary cap & draft pick situations.

This draft is loaded with QB talent and we can’t afford to come out of it empty handed.  Mitch is not the long-term answer and we are simply delaying the inevitable by signing him a multi-year deal IMO.  I’d rather take a QB in the 2nd (Trask / Jones) or 3rd round (Newman) and roll the dice on someone like Winston for a year if we still want to go for it.  Even if these guys are long-shots, we need to start investing into the QB position until we finally hit on someone.

I do not disagree but don't think the Bears will see it that way.

There needs to be a seasoned football mind in the building.  The Bears hire inexperienced people and then wonder why they fail.  I believe Pace said he would draft a QB annually, He has drafted one but he does love to draft WR's and TE's for some odd reason.

I am not certain what to make of Mitch or any of this but I do think it all comes back next year.

I think the O line has solidified itself and that has helped Mitch and the running game and we can see that he still needs work but he is serviceable.  All of the money has been spent on the defense thus this is what we have.

I think they sign Mitch for two years and draft a QB in the first three rounds.  They are stuck with Foles next year I believe. 

• Like 2

I really think this team is too good to blow up. 

I think they have to take a risk on a guy like Wentz in a trade, or maybe hope Winston learned something behind Brees.

Franchise Robinson if you can't extend him. Go OL heavy in the draft.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think they have to take a risk on a guy like Wentz in a trade, or maybe hope Winston learned something behind Brees.

This is also just a terrible job right now. Unless they give a guy the Gruden contract...

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I do not disagree but don't think the Bears will see it that way.

There needs to be a seasoned football mind in the building.  The Bears hire inexperienced people and then wonder why they fail.  I believe Pace said he would draft a QB annually, He has drafted one but he does love to draft WR's and TE's for some odd reason.

I am not certain what to make of Mitch or any of this but I do think it all comes back next year.

I think the O line has solidified itself and that has helped Mitch and the running game and we can see that he still needs work but he is serviceable.  All of the money has been spent on the defense thus this is what we have.

I think they sign Mitch for two years and draft a QB in the first three rounds.  They are stuck with Foles next year I believe. 

Almost every game Mitch throws an INT or what should have been an INT in the endzone.  He is a back up or some guy you can use in a wildcat or some trick offense. But he is never going to be a franchise QB, and even if he plays well, he will always do something stupid that will cost you a game you need to win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I agree with lines 1 and 3. Disagree with line 2.

This team went 8-8 with terrible coaching.  They have a lot of talent and a good coach has them 10-6 or better.  I think they need to get rid of Nagy and keep building on what they have.

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Almost every game Mitch throws an INT or what should have been an INT in the endzone.  He is a back up or some guy you can use in a wildcat or some trick offense. But he is never going to be a franchise QB, and even if he plays well, he will always do something stupid that will cost you a game you need to win.

I agree and these errant throws are getting tiresome. He's been around long enough that things like this shouldn't happen. The best Mitch will ever be is a serviceable #2 QB. He does look good at times, but there is something missing in this picture. The Bears will have a quarterback controversy as long as Mitch is the starter.