Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just now, bmags said:

I never give a shit about this stuff. If sox have highest offer let him make his choice on whether 1 month out of the year is that important (especially when he's 37.)

But the story was he was going to retire if he was unable to find a team close to his family after he was done in Houston

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But the story was he was going to retire if he was unable to find a team close to his family after he was done in Houston

He said something along the lines that if the Rays picked up his option then he’d be honored that they wanted him. If not then maybe he will probably retire. 

He lives in the Sarasota area. Less than an hour drive to the stadium. I’m guessing if he wants to play, he and TB will work something out for less than the $15M option that was declined. 

5 minutes ago, Buehrle5687 said:

Unless they blow him away with a monster contract, no.  He won't go to Detroit simply because Hinch is there.

I thought I read somewhere on here that he had a really good relationship with Hinch.

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

I thought I read somewhere on here that he had a really good relationship with Hinch.

I don't doubt that, but he is one of the most coveted FA's of this offseason.  I doubt he'd take less money, and end his career on a team that isn't contending any time soon.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

So he will be 34 or so by the time they’re trying to contend.  Doesn’t sound smart to me, to be honest.

Oh it's definitely not smart on Detroit's side but I can see Hinch wanting his buddy there and helping young players/ be a leader in the clubhouse and convincing Illitch to spend to get his guy

Edited by TheTruth05

8 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Oh it's definitely not smart on Detroit's side but I can see Hinch wanting his buddy there and helping young players/ be a leader in the clubhouse and convincing Illitch to spend to get his guy

Detroit has Miguel Cabrera.

9 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Who is actually in charge there now? 

28 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

The Illitch family has proven they spend though so he might be a special request from Hinch.

This. maybe not the special request part - i think hinch sees detroit, their pitching talent, and illitch willingness to spend and sees it as a nice fit. 

The tigers like us, are in a perfect spot to start spending this year on discount. You can grab yourself springer for RF, molina and wainwright at C and SP to mentor Mize, Manning, Skubal. Add in a Morton. Figure out a few bullpen guys to add. Sign a Bryant for 3b ... Schoop back at 2b, Cron at 1B, Tork at DH by May ... all of a sudden thats a playoff team. I think people will be surprised how quickly the Tigers come together. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I think it's still the Illitch family as a whole but I read Christopher is the day to day

Is there any reason to think that this member of the family is as determined to overspend as the previous one was? I thought they were clearly done with that when the change happened.

Not necessarily anything that says they'll spend like they did in teh past, but at the same time, it didn't exactly correspond with any window... the team was getting old and overpriced, so it was time to break it down. I personally see them building it back up quicker than anticipated. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s going to be interesting to see who the Mets go after. Realmuto seems a strong candidate for them, and I wonder if they go after Springer as well.  Bauer could be an option for them.

Realmuto seems like the BVW guy if he's still the gm...

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not necessarily anything that says they'll spend like they did in teh past, but at the same time, it didn't exactly correspond with any window... the team was getting old and overpriced, so it was time to break it down. I personally see them building it back up quicker than anticipated. 

I agree with you. Had they won a title in those years Detroit controlled the ALC I would be less inclined to say so but I'm sure they want to rebuild on the fly to try to finish business, especially since they locked up Hinch who they see at the guy to lead them there

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Can we go get Charlie Morton, Brad Hand, Kolten Wong (for the hell of it) plz

I'm going to be fascinated to see where Hand goes on waivers, but way more fascinated if no team picks up the $10 mill as that is going to be a pretty big insight into what kind of winter we're looking at

• bmags locked this topic