Offseason Targets

soxfan49

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of suggestions that Darvish would require one of Kopech/Vaughn and I just don't agree. In normal circumstances, sure. But 3/59 in this economic environment probably won't get a top 25 prospect, no matter who the player being dealt is. I see that as more of a Cease/Dunning and Madrigal, plus one of the Kelley/Thompson/Dalquist types. 

I don't even think he'd cost that much......I could see Dunning/Cease+Thompson/Dalquist+Rutherford/Adolfo

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

He really is. For as much as people would hate him due to the high-risk/high-reward offensive approach, this team is begging for a gold glove caliber right fielder who bats left-handed, takes walks, and hits home runs. He checks all the boxes

Come on. What we're really longing for is a butcher in RF like Charlie Blackmon with that albatross of a contract.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Package led by Dunning/Cease

You think the Cubs would want Cease back? 

I could get behind Gallo but I'm pretty sure people would cringe if he was doing 2012 and later Adam Dunn things instead of prime Adam Dunn things. 

Most of Gallo's career is similar to Dunn's 2012-2014 seasons. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of suggestions that Darvish would require one of Kopech/Vaughn and I just don't agree. In normal circumstances, sure. But 3/59 in this economic environment probably won't get a top 25 prospect, no matter who the player being dealt is. I see that as more of a Cease/Dunning and Madrigal, plus one of the Kelley/Thompson/Dalquist types. 

Yeah, you are way high. You could get most anyone being discussed for Cease, Madrigal and Kelley

I heard a statistic on a baseball podcast a few days ago that of the Rangers positional players, if you take away Joey Gallo, they are projected at -2 WAR.

That's how bad the Rangers are, lol. They NEED to trade/rebuild. 

That's why I am so persistent on dealing with them. They can't be this stone headed for long (like they were at the past few trade deadlines). 

Might be able to do math here? https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-zips-projections-texas-rangers/

Edited by iWiN4PreP

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You think the Cubs would want Cease back? 

I could get behind Gallo but I'm pretty sure people would cringe if he was doing 2012 and later Adam Dunn things instead of prime Adam Dunn things. 

Absolutely.  I watched him play in AAA for what seems like 5 years.  Just brutal Dunn-type garbage.  Emptiest stats you’ll ever see

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lynn and Gallo are only 1 year stopgaps and for as much power and OBP as Gallo has, if he's not doing prime Dunn stuff, he's still not that good. 

Gallo isnt eligible for free agency until '23. Not sure Dunn comparison is apt. Gallo is a gold glove right fielder, so he'd still be providing some value whether he hit or not. Considering he wouldn't necessarily be required to be a primary producer in the lineup, unlike Dunn who was supposed to be Konerko's mid order partner carrying the offense, can run the bases, still has upside, etc, its a completely different scenario. You're comparing an out of shape over the hill DH to an athletic 26 year old.

Not crazy about the idea of having to carry Andrus on the roster though. If you're going to replace Madrigal at second, why not get one of the numerous superior options available that will probably be signed to similar amount as Andrus? Might as well just include Madrigal in package for Lynn and Gallo and refrain from saddling the roster with an unwanted player. Then sign Wong or LaStella

Edited by Vulture

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm one of the few who liked Dunn from 2012-2014 so I'd be thrilled with that production from our right fielder + Gallo's solid defense.

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, you are way high. You could get most anyone being discussed for Cease, Madrigal and Kelley

I don't think that package gets close to Snell or Gray but I hear you. I do tend to think that Darvish, despite the big contract, fetches closer to what Snell/Gray will get than what Lynn/Musgrove will get just because of his track record though. That said, I still don't believe Darvish will get a blue chip prospect because of the $59 million remaining

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm one of the few who liked Dunn from 2012-2014 so I'd be thrilled with that production from our right fielder + Gallo's solid defense.

I hated Dunn, but if he was only expected to be our sixth or seventh best hitter it would have been a lot easier to stomach

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think that package gets close to Snell or Gray but I hear you. I do tend to think that Darvish, despite the big contract, fetches closer to what Snell/Gray will get than what Lynn/Musgrove will get just because of his track record though. That said, I still don't believe Darvish will get a blue chip prospect because of the $59 million remaining

I mean, if Gallo was cheap to acquire and extend an extra year....sure. The problem isn't Gallo himself, as he'd be a huge upgrade over what the Sox had in RF. The problem is the acquisition cost. Does Gallo have two or 3 years left of control? If he has 3, I could see acquiring him for a reasonable price. Also, it is possible that he might do prime Dunn stuff in this lineup, where he's only expected to be the 7th best hitter if that. 

Agree about Darvish. Call me crazy, but I'd rather trade Cease than Dunning because Dunning's stuff was a tick down from his minor league reports. I wonder if with a full ST and more time from TJS, if it will come back. If so, You have a guy with #3 upside. I don't trust Cease's control/command as much. I'd throw in Lopez to any deal if they're interested in him as a reclamation project. The Sox can't fuck around with too many projects at once. It's fine to break in guys at the 4/5 spot, but they need to have a reliable #2/3 and they don't right now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I hated Dunn, but if he was only expected to be our sixth or seventh best hitter it would have been a lot easier to stomach

Exactly. Imagine that version of Dunn batting in the 7-9 area of the lineup and playing a good RF. That would be a very valuable player

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bait for what?

a trade for a cost controlled SP. 

With as many options that the Sox have with mid to TOR stuff, I wonder if the more prudent thing is to sign guys like Quintana, Richards and others in that ilk to ease the load of the Sox breaking in Kopech/Cease/Dunning/Crochet. 

Not to mention they would have every reason to start the year with Cease and Dunning in the rotation, and break Kopech in after the draft. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

???

Sox trade: Dunning, Thompson, Dalquist, Lopez, Burdi, Adolfo

Sox get: Darvish, Lynn, Heyward, $6M cash per season on Heyward's deal from Cubs

Cubs trade: Darvish, Heyward, Kimbrel

Cubs get: Andrus, Dunning, Dalquist, Lopez

Rangers trade: Lynn, Andrus

Rangers get: Thompson, Adolfo, Burdi, Kimbrel, $4M cash from Cubs on Kimbrel, $4M cash from Sox

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I mean, if Gallo was cheap to acquire and extend an extra year....sure. The problem isn't Gallo himself, as he'd be a huge upgrade over what the Sox had in RF. The problem is the acquisition cost. Does Gallo have two or 3 years left of control? If he has 3, I could see acquiring him for a reasonable price. 

Gallo is a free agent after '22. Considering those are two prime contention years, that would be pretty valuable IMO.

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Gallo is a free agent after '22. Considering those are two prime contention years, that would be pretty valuable IMO.

Someone else said '23, so I wasn't sure. 

I'd be fine going cheaper with SP and letting the kids sort themselves out if they could get a stud LHB like Conforto or Nimmo in RF. 

Even Gallo wouldn't be awful...

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I'm sold on a Lynn/Gallo trade. Then sign Sugano and Colome and call it a day

Depending on the cost, sure. If the Sox are going to sign a reliever I'd like it to be Hendriks or Treinen. 

Also, I'd really like to acquire Darvish as well and have Dunning and Kopech duke it out for the 5th spot. I'm assuming Cease is gone in the Darvish deal. Lynn can stay as a pure rental and then break in Crochet as a SP in 2022. 

IMO the Sox don't necessarily need a TOR starter, as they should be able to get another one in either Kopech or Crochet(or both hopefully) 

What they do need is a reliable #3 to take the load off of the kids that they're breaking in. I'm not expecting Keuchel to be that good again, but I'm expecting him to be better than he was in 2019. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

IMO the Sox don't necessarily need a TOR starter, as they should be able to get another one in either Kopech or Crochet(or both hopefully) 

Highly disagree with you here.

I think Keuchel is going to regress strongly next year. That leaves us with 1 known: Lucas G.

Kopech you cannot count on for more than 100 IP, probably less.

Cease/Dunning are hard question marks. Can't project them for anything more than SP4.

Honestly, our rotation could be one of the worst in baseball if we get unlucky/are not careful as it stands. 

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Highly disagree with you here.

I think Keuchel is going to regress strongly next year. That leaves us with 1 known: Lucas G.

Kopech you cannot count on for more than 100 IP, probably less.

Cease/Dunning are hard question marks. Can't project them for anything more than SP4.

Honestly, our rotation could be one of the worst in baseball if we get unlucky/are not careful as it stands. 

I think Keuchel is going to be like a modern Buehrle going forward. 180 IP, 3.3-3.8 ERA, low ks, 2.5-3.0 fWAR or there abouts 

I mean, I'd like a proven TOR type guy, but it depends on what you consider that to be. 

As good as Lynn has been, I don't expect him to be that good ever again. He's a #3/4 type guy to me. 

Darvish is the best bet for acquiring a #2 type, but.....he's 34, expensive and has injury issues. 

I also consider Bauer a #2 type, as #2 types in my book are guys that can have ace like stretches or seasons, but have those two or 3 clunkers that ruin their stats, and occasionally put up #3 numbers over a full season. As of right now, Giolito falls into this category. If you have two #2s that's ok. 

The true #1s are few and far between, guys like DeGrom, prime Scherzer/Verlander/Strasburg that put up great numbers every year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

• bmags locked this topic