Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Sox don’t win bidding wars. Pretty close to 0 chance this happens. Don’t get sucked in yet once again

I typically agree with you, and I'll believe it when I see it. 

Nobody knows what Jerry's thinking though. 

I wouldn't say non-zero, but maybe as high as 5%? That's just me being optimistic lol. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Joel Sherman has legs and said he’d pick the Sox if it were a life or death situation.  Seems pretty legit to me.

Can any insider give us a heads up if they are even talking to him or have interest? Easy to just make a prediction based on who's out there, team need, what a team's payroll is currently, etc. I doubt Sherman actually knows if they are discussing a deal or not.

Edit: He's not basing on anything other than educated guess, therefor , no legs.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Joel Sherman has legs and said he’d pick the Sox if it were a life or death situation.  Seems pretty legit to me.

Sherman is operating under the assumption that the Sox will be at the top of a bidding war. That’s easier said than done with Jerry Reinsdorf being the owner of this team. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

50% maybe?

• White Sox = 50%
  • Mets = 10%
  • Yankees = 10%
  • Blue Jays = 10%
  • Dodgers = 10%
  • Angels = 10%

No way it's that high for us. Sherman is legit, but I don't think he actually had any real info. I honestly think he was just trying to think of which team Bauer would be a good fit for.

And I'm usually one of the more optimistic people here. I thought we'd sign Machado, I thought we would land Wheeler, and I think we will sign Springer. I just don't see Bauer happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

New York would have to pay me double to live there.  I hope Bauer has the same view of that dump.

Chicago has its flaws, too.  SouthWest side is not exactly paradise, and how is the Miracle Mile doing?

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

50% maybe?

• White Sox = 50%
  • Mets = 10%
  • Yankees = 10%
  • Blue Jays = 10%
  • Dodgers = 10%
  • Angels = 10%

Whoa! I don't know about that man, but hey, I love your optimism. Reminds me of the Manny Machado winter. Jerry surprises us every couple of decades. We're overdue.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

There was barely a reaction to speak of. Fegan was the only local who really went after it. The rest basically stuck to factual blurbs, and zero opinion.

I don’t want to derail this into another La Russa thread, but that’s not true at all.  A quick google search shows both Paul Sullivan & Rick Morrissey ripping him and the Sox for the DUI.  Those are the two biggest local news outlets and they both ripped him.  I’m not saying New York wouldn’t have been worse, just saying there has been a general disdain for the hiring amongst Chicago media and it has gotten worse after the DUI.

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

No way it's that high for us. Sherman is legit, but I don't think he actually had any real info. I honestly think he was just trying to think of which team Bauer would be a good fit for.

And I'm usually one of the more optimistic people here. I thought we'd sign Machado, I thought we would land Wheeler, and I think we will sign Springer. I just don't see Bauer happening.

I’m just playing board hype man, but realistically I’d put us around 10%.  Had Harold not laughed at the idea I’d probably put us around 20% as I truly don’t see a ton of teams in the mix.  The Mets are a legit threat and the Angels are scary if they decide to pursue him, but other than them I don’t see a team more likely to land him than us unless these rumors we’re revving up to spend are completely false.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)