Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Everyday I wake up wishing, praying that the White Sox would be linked to Bauer. 

I want him on this team so bad.

No other player as accessible as Bauer is (FA, just money) would make our team better than he would.

Adding Bauer is the only way this rotation gets to the point of completion. Bauer/Giolito as 1+2 is WS caliber. Keuchel+Lynn as 3+4 inning eaters is WS caliber. 5+6 as Cease/Kopech/Lopez is WS acceptable.

Not only that, I have faith in Bauer's health. So Bauer + Lynn + Keuchel not having health issues makes us strong. 

Not only that, Bauer is fun as hell. Instantly he'd become one of my top 2 or 3 White Sox Players to watch and he'd probably be #1 soon.

No bigger upgrade out there...

I totally agree with you that signing Bauer was the move to make (especially on a short term deal) and have believed that to be the case since the beginning of this offseason.  He would make us the favorite to win the AL at least.  

Unfortunately, I also came to the realization early in this postseason that it was a move that the Sox were not going to make.

Much like the situation with the 2 whales a couple of seasons ago, the typical big spenders seem to be out on Bauer and so the Sox could make a run at him if they wanted to.  But although I had a roller coaster of emotions throughout that previous offseason that we would/would not be getting Harper or Machado....this offseason I am not on that same coaster because I am sure Bauer is not in play.

But if your wishes or prayers are answered...I will be thrilled!!!

the ONLY way that Sox have any chance of getting Bauer would be if it's a 2-3 year deal...and Lynn would not be resigning at all for payroll reasons. I like the Lynn addition a lot (especially if he gets a 2 year extension), but seeing how the FA class has been slow to sign, no way the Sox expected Bauer to be this available still. I can't blame Hahn for that, but making that Lynn move so early in the offseason may have been jumping the gun a bit. 

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

the ONLY way that Sox have any chance of getting Bauer would be if it's a 2-3 year deal...and Lynn would not be resigning at all for payroll reasons. I like the Lynn addition a lot (especially if he gets a 2 year extension), but seeing how the FA class has been slow to sign, no way the Sox expected Bauer to be this available still. I can't blame Hahn for that, but making that Lynn move so early in the offseason may have been jumping the gun a bit. 

IDK why acuiring Lynn would make a move for Bauer unacceptable. 

Teams need 6 starters these days if they want to compete. Dodgers/Padres acquiring large depths of high quality SP's is the way to go for the future and especially for this upcoming year. 

The AL is going to be a shit show for Rotations, which I guess keeps the White Sox Rotation in the competition. I mean, they have one of the better ones in the AL as it is... it's just that we are one Giolito injury away from being horrible. Keuchel is regressing for sure. Lynn is old and we have to have faith in him, but he's more of a 4.0 ERA dude this year methinks. 

We desperately need more SP, hell, I'd even get 2 more SPs. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Pros and cons to both - I think they explored trades with all teams with Dunning as the headliner and realized they wouldn’t get Snell/Castillo/Gray with Dunning and settled on the next best option which is fine cuz Lynn is good and the Rangers arguably could have waited and gotten a bunch of young kids based on how the trades have gone down this offseason.

In my wild mind, I have been thinking...what if Bauer has a best offer of 5 years at 25 million per year.  RH comes along and offers 2 years at 30 million.  Bauer seems the type to bet on himself and JR is satisfied to avoid long-term risk.  Not likely perhaps but not impossible. 

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In my wild mind, I have been thinking...what if Bauer has a best offer of 5 years at 25 million per year.  RH comes along and offers 2 years at 30 million.  Bauer seems the type to bet on himself and JR is satisfied to avoid long-term risk.  Not likely perhaps but not impossible. 

The Athletic today quoted an agent saying Bauer is asking for 250 million

15 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Matz for Benintendi?

that would be god awful for the Red Sox.. For some reason, I think we drastically are underrating Beni's value. His defense will only get better when he leave the hard to play Fenway.  I can't wait for The Show so that I can trade Lopez + for him LOL.. mostly kidding.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is horrible

Why? He goes to another league, will massively underperform and in hindsight everyone will be glad that Sox didn't pay him 38 mil a season. 
If anything this is best case scenario as the Mets/Dodgers/Padres can all beat the hell out of each other and the Sox can destroy their division. Bauer was a dream. We all wanted him...but just because he was the shiny object. Also...if they went record breaking AAV....that is NOT going to get good return on investment. 

• Like 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Why? He goes to another league, will massively underperform and in hindsight everyone will be glad that Sox didn't pay him 38 mil a season. 
If anything this is best case scenario as the Mets/Dodgers/Padres can all beat the hell out of each other and the Sox can destroy their division. Bauer was a dream. We all wanted him...but just because he was the shiny object. Also...if they went record breaking AAV....that is NOT going to get good return on investment. 

He meant it’s horrible for his Padres

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

The fact that he already has a record breaking AAV out there puts any hopes that the white sox get him out dead in the water. 

All your points on the spot that he goes are correct tho of course.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)