Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

17 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Because it is fully believable.

Yes it is. You're on the clock to win a world series . You got a free agent without many suitors who wants to play on a contender, likes your coaching staff, actually wants to be here, who is open to some kind of oddly structured contract, and the Sox, who tell you all about multiple championships and the money will be spent, look the gift horse in the mouth because JR can't spend more than last year because the poor owners lost so much money .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it is. You're on the clock to win a world series . You got a free agent without many suitors who wants to play on a contender, likes your coaching staff, actually wants to be here, who is open to some kind of oddly structured contract, and the Sox, who tell you all about multiple championships and the money will be spent, look the gift horse in the mouth because JR can't spend more than last year because the poor owners lost so much money .

Do you think we haven't even discussed a creative offer with him?

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am sure his agent can figure out how to say no to future deferred dollars and magical future team options that guarantee him money that will never be earned.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Thank god we didn't sign Machado or Harper.  Imagine trying to fill in the lineup/roster and keep the gold in the swimming pool filled.  It would be impossible.  

But again, that's only because JR is cheap. If he HAD signed one of the two... he wouldn't be, and therefore we wouldn't have to "thank God" about anything and we would still be filling the pool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don't believe anyone here knows what has been discussed.  RH plays his cards close to the vest.  I don't believe that our FO discusses this stuff with their best friends....there is just too much money at stake.

• Like 1

at this point we're just going in circles on this thread. I hope he signs soon haha. its either a) i dont want him on my team, hes overrated and a head case or b) jerry sucks. hes old and cheap. Just variations of that arugment over and over lol. 

I think it's just sad we couldn't even get creative with a guy willing to get creative and who wasn't as concerned about years as most guys. Between that, his talent, the timing of the Sox being ready to contend for a WS and we didn't even try? Reminds me of Harper pursuit.... just sad. But so be it. As long as my ticket prices remain well priced and we don't turn into Wrigley field w/ $85 bleacher seats I'm fine passing on guys like this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What I think doesn't matter. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. I'm not in the loop on these things. What does it matter if the Sox have or haven't discussed an offer with him. He isn't coming here.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What does it matter if the Sox have or haven't discussed an offer with him? He isn't coming here.

I'm not really sure how to answer that. This is a message board where fans discuss things. Are you saying that if we find out we did have an offer out to Bauer but it wasn't enough, we shouldn't post that information here?

Or when we found out Joc turned down our original offer...should we not have discussed that here because it didn't matter at that point?

31 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm not really sure how to answer that. This is a message board where fans discuss things. Are you saying that if we find out we did have an offer out to Bauer but it wasn't enough, we shouldn't post that information here?

Or when we found out Joc turned down our original offer...should we not have discussed that here because it didn't matter at that point?

Discuss anything you want. All I was saying is my opinion doesn't matter. I am also saying choosing to believe things because people say them in Twitter is something I don't like to do. How does anyone know for sure the Sox made a $10M offer to Pederson ? There's so much manipulation going on in that world. Why should I or anyone believe that crap ?

Take it all with a grain of salt , discuss the hell out of it, but in the end I use my mind and my knowledge of baseball to come to conclusions before most of the discussions take place. I said Cruz isn't coming here  early and I said Folty isn't coming here. But I discussed the hell out of how fun it would be to  have Cruz and encouraged others to do so. I wanted that thread to catch up to another thread discussing another player. I'd have to look back early in the Cruz thread to see what I said.

Edit: I just looked . On Jan. 21 I encouraged everyone to make the Cruz thread as long as the Burnes thread , which it eventually surpassed. AT the time it was around 30 pages behind it. I've been around here a long time. I just don't go running to Twitterers and insiders begging them for info because if I don't care about anything they say except for its entertainment value. I'm too old to be acting like a giddy school girl.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)