Oscar Colas declared FA in Japan

EloyJenkins

I am hopeful we sign him, pretty much assume he is signed, honestly.

But I have doubts he is close to ready for RF. Best case scenario is he is amazing in minors and we have a RF cost controlled for next year, or trade piece.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

But I have doubts he is close to ready for RF. Best case scenario is he is amazing in minors and we have a RF cost controlled for next year, or trade piece.

Maybe LF if we can sign Springer for RF, moving Eloy to DH eventually.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Maybe LF if we can sign Springer for RF, moving Eloy to DH eventually.

That's another possibility, good point.

Also, even though this wasn't your point, I just wanted to clarify that I have doubts he's close to ready to be an MLB starter, not that it's specifically about RF.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also, even though this wasn't your point, I just wanted to clarify that I have doubts he's close to ready to be an MLB starter, not that it's specifically about RF.

Yeah I hear ya. In this scenario, assuming no one is traded and they sign Springer and Colas, they would sort of have a logjam so it would give him 2 years in the minors until Abreu leaves.

Edited by manbearpuig

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Totally agree on this. He needs two years for sure and he may never be a guy. But you gotta take a chance with the cuban connection and cost and assume that Eloy does become DH. He could align nicely with the "second wave" philosophy if they don't trade everyone. I think JBJ or Springer needs to be signed for the now window anyways, as I worry that another 1 year stopgap would rush Colas and that is NOT a good plan. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

He did play 7 games in the NPB so he at least got a cup of coffee at that level last year and performed well for whatever that's worth. Hopefully there is a minor league season this year and I would guess if there is he would start at AA or maybe A+ on the cautious side. Then let him jump levels quickly if he shows he's ready, similar to Robert in 2019.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right. I've seen scouting reports on him (mostly from before he lost weight) but they seem to be all over tbe place on him. Not really sure where he would rank as a prospect with us or as a top 100? 

Love to see an updated scouting report on him.

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, this does not sound like a 2021 signing.  If anyone out there knows differently please correct me.

6 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Right. I've seen scouting reports on him (mostly from before he lost weight) but they seem to be all over tbe place on him. Not really sure where he would rank as a prospect with us or as a top 100? 

Callis isn't exactly the go to guy for international prospects and he freely admits here that this wasn't some well thought out answer, but it seems like he is a safe bet to at least make the top 100 prospects.

26 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Same, I have my doubts on him, let's hope that the weight loss has considerably impacted his game in a positive way.

Either way I won't complain at all about a signing, and I think him to the Sox is as good as done.

17 minutes ago, Buehrle5687 said:

Would we rather get Colas over Cespedes? Any chance we get both? 

It's worth noting that Colas isn't ranked in the MLB top international prospects list, perhaps it's because he hasn't declared yet. Cespedes is ranked 1, I think Colas should be up there.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It's worth noting that Colas isn't ranked in the MLB top international prospects list, perhaps it's because he hasn't declared yet. Cespedes is ranked 1, I think Colas should be up there.

Yeah he wasn't on the list because he wasn't eligible to sign. So once he's cleared by MLB one would think that he should appear.