Oscar Colas declared FA in Japan

EloyJenkins

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Not sure any opinion based on Colas' experience in the Japanese league is valid.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/06/d677c6526fdd-colas-case-highlights-latin-players-troubles-with-japanese-baseball.html

This story shouldn't make you think that he's ready sooner. He's been in limbo for a significant amount of time now, he basically lost a year and a half of development.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This story shouldn't make you think that he's ready sooner. He's been in limbo for a significant amount of time now, he basically lost a year and a half of development.

The expectations for Colas are overblown. Intriguing prospect but far from someone to pencil in as a long-term piece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Btw I just pulled up and am watching a WL (Japanese minors) game from last June that he's in. Def got the Vlad Jr. body type. Thick lower half, HUGE leg kick, long swing.

EDIT: He's 0-4 with 4 swinging strikeouts in this game. I must have caught him at his worst (just randomly picked a game in mid-June), because his numbers were pretty good and he was batting cleanup.

EDIT 2: The game went to 10 innings, make that 0-5 with 5 swinging strikeouts, lol. I picked a hell of a game to watch him.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Btw I just pulled up and am watching a WL (Japanese minors) game from last June that he's in. Def got the Vlad Jr. body type. Thick lower half, HUGE leg kick, long swing.

EDIT: He's 0-4 with 4 swinging strikeouts in this game. I must have caught him at his worst (just randomly picked a game in mid-June), because his numbers were pretty good and he was batting cleanup.

EDIT 2: The game went to 10 innings, make that 0-5 with 5 swinging strikeouts, lol. I picked a hell of a game to watch him.

Since you were commenting on his body, adding these posts from the FutureSox thread:

On 9/28/2020 at 9:54 PM, southsider2k5 said:

On 10/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, Sleepy Harold said:

On 11/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, southsider2k5 said:

He's slimmed down substantially. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Not sure any opinion based on Colas' experience in the Japanese league is valid.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/06/d677c6526fdd-colas-case-highlights-latin-players-troubles-with-japanese-baseball.html

Exactly.  He isn't ready as he hasn't really played competitive baseball at a high level for a long time.

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox might sign Colas. If they do, he likely goes to DSL to start due to tax reasons. If he plays stateside, likely starts in High A IMO. He’s not a piece for the big league roster in 2021. He’s a prospect. 

Jimmy, how would you rate him compared to Ben Bailey?

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox might sign Colas. If they do, he likely goes to DSL to start due to tax reasons. If he plays stateside, likely starts in High A IMO. He’s not a piece for the big league roster in 2021. He’s a prospect. 

You still feel it’s likely we get one of Colas or Cespedes?  Just have this bad feeling that Jerry will punt on using our remaining $2M+ in slot because we’re “going for it” at the major league level and need that money towards a long reliever.  Tell me I’m crazy to think that’s a possibility.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You still feel it’s likely we get one of Colas or Cespedes?  Just have this bad feeling that Jerry will punt on using our remaining $2M+ in slot because we’re “going for it” at the major league level and need that money towards a long reliever.  Tell me I’m crazy to think that’s a possibility.

I'd be really surprised if they don't spend the $$. I think they'll land one of them. Lots of players that have agreements (from other clubs) might not anymore though because of the changes to the date and the rules. Should be interesting to follow. 

• Thanks 1