Official: McCann is a Met, $40/4 years

Buehrle>Wood

I saw this and thought it was interesting. The only way it would have made sense for the Sox to compete with the Mets offer is if he and Grandal were both in the lineup every day as catcher and DH, and I'm not sure McCann was good enough to justify blocking Vaughn. It will suck on the days Grandal is off because I think Collins will be a black hole in the lineup but I don't know how that could have been avoided.

catchers.jpg

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I saw this and thought it was interesting. The only way it would have made sense for the Sox to compete with the Mets offer is if he and Grandal were both in the lineup every day as catcher and DH, and I'm not sure McCann was good enough to justify blocking Vaughn. It will suck on the days Grandal is off because I think Collins will be a black hole in the lineup but I don't know how that could have been avoided.

catchers.jpg

Wait, Realmuto has 80 WAR in 2.5 years?

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

catchers.jpg

Seeing Tyler Flowers on that list makes me optimistic there's a path forward for a guy like Collins. He has enough power and takes enough pitches to probably become passable offensively. If he can continue to show defensive improvement I'm willing to live the struggles when Grandal needs a day off.  

The one factor both Grandal and McCann fans/Stans fail to acknowledge is the fact that for a mid level payroll team like the White Sox ($120M-$140M), a high priced offense producing catcher is a luxury the team cannot afford. Even if Grandal gives you similar production in his final three seasons as to when he was in his prime, he is taking up $18M or around 15% of the payroll, with 25 others on the roster. On a $200M team, it's a more reasonable 9% payroll committment.

The Sox would be far better off having say Pederson/Bradley Jr. in RF, Schwarber in LF and Jimenez at DH (or Pederson/Bradley Jr., Jimenez and Vaughn if he's ready) and a solid defensive catching team ($4-5M each). The team wasted $18M last year on two much easier positions to fill (Parrot and Mazara), and Eaton will likely produce the same as Mazara next year.

This is why I opposed the Grandal signing last year (Keuchel was the only signing I liked), and why I am glad the Sox never came close to signing Machado or Harper. I also support passing on Springer or Bauer, unless they plan on significantly and permanently increasing their annual payroll by the equivalent amount. There is no evidence that is their intention.