2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

I can post any highlight reel, game winning goals, etc. from Toews but this is probably my favorite goal he scored. That Hawks team was decimated, had no business taking that series to game 7 (and nearly winning it, damn Sharp post and fucking Campoli) and Toews willed that team down the stretch. This was peak Toews. He was an absolute monster back then.

Edited by SoxAce

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I can post any highlight reel, game winning goals, etc. from Toews but this is probably my favorite goal he scored. That Hawks team was decimated, had no business taking that series to game 7 (and nearly winning it, damn Sharp post and fucking Campoli) and Toews willed that team down the stretch. This was peak Toews. He was an absolute monster back then.

I was at this one with my dad, my dad was so down on the Hawks, for years I tried to convince him the ABC line was legit, Ruutu was going to save the franchise, etc. It was the same deal with Kane and Toews...until he saw this goal in person and said "Ok this might be for real" 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 7:29 AM, Tony said:

I was at this one with my dad, my dad was so down on the Hawks, for years I tried to convince him the ABC line was legit, Ruutu was going to save the franchise, etc. It was the same deal with Kane and Toews...until he saw this goal in person and said "Ok this might be for real" 

I was at this one as well. Same night Kane scored his first NHL regulation goal. Same feeling of this might be the start of a turnaround that we've been waiting for.

• 3 weeks later...

NHL draft is tonight. Hawks have a 11.5% chance to land Connor Bedard. Here's hoping. That kid is a generational talent that would accelerate this rebuild (would also be NHL and Rocky Wirtz dream as a marketable asset in a big city).

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

NHL draft is tonight. Hawks have a 11.5% chance to land Connor Bedard. Here's hoping. That kid is a generational talent that would accelerate this rebuild (would also be NHL and Rocky Wirtz dream as a marketable asset in a big city).

between slots 2-5 which is the drop-off point where you feel much worse?  3?

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

between slots 2-5 which is the drop-off point where you feel much worse?  3?

Probably after 4. It's Bedard's draft, but Michkov, Fantilli and Carlsson are all very good prospects. Michkov is the only one probably close to Bedard in terms of talent but he has the Russian factor and that might bump him down in the draft. Will Smith is like the 5th best player in this draft and damn good himself, but he's a bit of a drop off from those 4.

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Probably after 4. It's Bedard's draft, but Michkov, Fantilli and Carlsson are all very good prospects. Michkov is the only one probably close to Bedard in terms of talent but he has the Russian factor and that might bump him down in the draft. Will Smith is like the 5th best player in this draft and damn good himself, but he's a bit of a drop off from those 4.

Gotcha. Scott Powers really seems down on trying for Michkov because it would make the rebuild more painful..but it doesn't seem that long to me...I unno. Hawks games still seemed pretty expensive and still pretty crowded.

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Immediately thought of @Tony @knightni@southsider2k5 @Chisoxfn etc. after the Hawks won it. "This is the type of talent that can bring a franchise back from dead."

I totally agree…it’s a huge jolt to the franchise that basically changes everything. The timing is so interesting as well, with Kane and Toews both officially gone, having Bedard start this hopefully “new era” right after is pretty cool. 

13 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I don't believe these things are rigged, but if I did, this is a great outcome for the NHL.

Except for that whole sexual assault cover up. I'm still not ready to embrace the franchise. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I find the rigging stuff so dumb. 

Patrick Ewing with the frozen envelope to the Knicks was another great one. 

If the NHL was going to rig the draft, this is the outcome they would want. In a sports championship starved market, winning heals everything. 

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Patrick Ewing with the frozen envelope to the Knicks was another great one. 

If the NHL was going to rig the draft, this is the outcome they would want. In a sports championship starved market, winning heals everything. 

not sure the nhl hated Gretzky in the LA market, they wouldn't have minded Bedard in anaheim.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic