2021 NHL Thread

soxfan49

42 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

All of the people involved are gone and that was 12-13 years ago. 

Rocky is still around and seems like an asshole.  But your point is very fair. I regret posting earlier in a thread that should be all positive. I just read The Athletic article that made that point and it was fresh in my mind. 

I don't fault anyone for cheering them on. It's different for me being so far out of market and coaching my own team from September to May. The Hawks, and by extension the NHL, are easy to ignore for me. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

not sure the nhl hated Gretzky in the LA market, they wouldn't have minded Bedard in anaheim.

Of the options I think Columbus was the only one that would have been viewed negatively

I wonder if there is any thought to Kane or Toews coming back now.

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

All of the people involved are gone and that was 12-13 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Rocky is still around and seems like an asshole.  But your point is very fair. I regret posting earlier in a thread that should be all positive. I just read The Athletic article that made that point and it was fresh in my mind. 

I don't fault anyone for cheering them on. It's different for me being so far out of market and coaching my own team from September to May. The Hawks, and by extension the NHL, are easy to ignore for me. 

This. He sounded like an out of touch owner and old man when the issue was raised at the end of season press conference. He didn’t want to talk about the past and didn’t want to talk about how to set things right in the future. If I were a parent of the top draft pick, I would want to know things like that are over and steps would be taken so it wouldn’t happen again.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

Except for that whole sexual assault cover up. I'm still not ready to embrace the franchise. 

Do you still embrace the white sox.  Let me introduce you to their first base coach Daryl Boston.  Still employed by the team.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Do you still embrace the white sox.  Let me introduce you to their first base coach Daryl Boston.  Still employed by the team.  

Boston doesn’t control the direction of the White Sox in the business sense like Wirtz does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

Rocky is still around and seems like an asshole.

Oh he is a very much a dick, but I honestly believe he didn't know at the time. There was a reason McDonough was all of a sudden fired out of nowhere a few years ago. He was known even in the Cubs organization to basically keep things under wraps or "we won't tell Rocky, I'll brush it under the rug" guy. But seeing how Rocky reacted when that question was asked, I can see why McDonough kept it from him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

It's another reason I've stepped back further away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Oh he is a very much a dick, but I honestly believe he didn't know at the time. There was a reason McDonough was all of a sudden fired out of nowhere a few years ago. He was known even in the Cubs organization to basically keep things under wraps or "we won't tell Rocky, I'll brush it under the rug" guy. But seeing how Rocky reacted when that question was asked, I can see why McDonough kept it from him.

And Rocky’s b**** ass wouldn’t even address what they are doing today let alone the sins of the past. What an embarrassment of an owner, man and until they address the past or future, the organization.

Here’s the Rocky Wirtz outburst.

• Like 1

The hubris, arrogance, entitlement, or whatever adjective you want to use, really hits a nerve with me. I know it's more so than other people's reaction. 

@SoxAcemakes a great point that everyone else is gone and my guess is the culture has been improved. Thirteen years is about the sentence that most offenders would have served in prison.

Maybe it's time to put them on probation and jump back on the bandwagon. 

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

The hubris, arrogance, entitlement, or whatever adjective you want to use, really hits a nerve with me. I know it's more so than other people's reaction. 

@SoxAcemakes a great point that everyone else is gone and my guess is the culture has been improved. Thirteen years is about the sentence that most offenders would have served in prison.

Maybe it's time to put them on probation and jump back on the bandwagon. 

That's sort of where I am at, and have admitted that once they "get good again" it will be much easier to jump on the bandwagon. 

The entire core is gone from the Cup Dynasty. That not only includes the players, but the Front Office, Coaching Staff, even the announcers. Even a lot of the HR/PR/Marketing folks have been totally turned over, right or wrong. Aside from Rocky still being at the top, it's a totally new organization. They deserved to be punished, and now with a new spark inserted into the organization, I'm ready to re-invest my time into them. I've missed hockey in this town a lot and am really excited to see what Bedard brings to the table. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony said:

That's sort of where I am at, and have admitted that once they "get good again" it will be much easier to jump on the bandwagon. 

The entire core is gone from the Cup Dynasty. That not only includes the players, but the Front Office, Coaching Staff, even the announcers. Even a lot of the HR/PR/Marketing folks have been totally turned over, right or wrong. Aside from Rocky still being at the top, it's a totally new organization. They deserved to be punished, and now with a new spark inserted into the organization, I'm ready to re-invest my time into them. I've missed hockey in this town a lot and am really excited to see what Bedard brings to the table. 

How were they punished though?  I'm pleading ignorance here but isn't the downfall from a lack of roster maintenance and  inept management along with Toews and Crawford falling off a cliff.

I'm from the camp that Tallon build the dynasty.  Bowman got the cash to sign Hossa and then mismanaged it from there.  He literally held onto that core for way too long although most of that was due to contract stipulations.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

How were they punished though?  I'm pleading ignorance here but isn't the downfall from a lack of roster maintenance and  inept management along with Toews and Crawford falling off a cliff.

I'm from the camp that Tallon build the dynasty.  Bowman got the cash to sign Hossa and then mismanaged it from there.  He literally held onto that core for way too long although most of that was due to contract stipulations.

Pretty sure the nhl stepped in to make sure Q didn’t get the NYR job so some of the punishment thus far is being blacklisted

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I have no issues with thinking/saying the Hawks should have been punished more. That also isn't going to change my fandom though, I have no control over what punishment the NHL handed out. However, if the organization was still intact from the dynasty (Stan was still in charge, etc) I have control over saying "Yeah, I'm out until he's out." 

I also don't disagree with you that Tallon was the main architect here, Bowman was trash for the most part. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Didn’t Tallon have some significant cap issues when he left that hampered a lot of moves going forward 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Didn’t Tallon have some significant cap issues when he left that hampered a lot of moves going forward 

They fucked up paperwork and didn’t get their offers in to their RFA’s on time, so they probably ended up spending more on those players to retain them than they otherwise should have. 

Brian Campbell was also a poor/bloated contract at the time but there was always a debate about the value he held to the Hawks. 

• 4 weeks later...

22 days left until the Blackhawks officially draft their future captain, Connor Bedard. 

And judging by the kid's interviews through his junior career and now? He is the absolute goods on AND off the ice. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

No, Hall has 2 years left on his deal. I'm pretty sure they acquired him to play with Bedard. 

I believe he's asking about Foligno, and yeah basically they get an exclusive signing window from what I read.

I thought today was wednesday and was going to say looking forward to tonight but alas one more day.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I believe he's asking about Foligno, and yeah basically they get an exclusive signing window from what I read.

I thought today was wednesday and was going to say looking forward to tonight but alas one more day.

He signed a one year deal today 

• bmags locked this topic