Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who in the AL has a better roster than the White Sox today? I'd argue nobody at the moment. Of course you want to be as good as possible. The goal is to win the damn division every year though. That gets you in the tournament and gives you a shot to win it all. Why do we care so much about the 2nd best team in the NL West? It's nauseating. 

Are they?

I really hope that the Sox don't emulate the Padres in trading for starting pitchers.  But if they go down this road, it appears that the window will shrink from the 5-10 year frame to a window that fits LaRussa.

Gray's a good pitcher, but an ace he is  not.   Trading away young pitching creates more trading away of young pitching, as you have traded away in house options to fill holes.  It's a bad cycle.  Resist!

Edited by GreenSox
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why do we care so much about the 2nd best team in the NL West?

Because they are the other team that is in a very similar position to us and we can compare how each teams moves match up and so far the Padres have always been a number of steps a head of the White Sox. It's frustrating watching our office vs theirs. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GreenSox said:

I really hope that the Sox don't emulate the Padres in trading for starting pitchers.  But if they go down this road, it appears that the window will shrink from the 5-10 year frame to a window that fits LaRussa.

Gray's a good pitcher, but an ace he is  not.

If Gray doesn’t cost you Cease or Kopech, it makes sense acquiring him. But giving up on those guys will shorten the window. Sonny Gray had a couple of crappy years himself before he seemed to find the magic again.

I wasn’t a big fan of trading 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of Lynn, but if the Sox win, it was worth it. 

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who in the AL has a better roster than the White Sox today? I'd argue nobody at the moment. Of course you want to be as good as possible. The goal is to win the damn division every year though. That gets you in the tournament and gives you a shot to win it all. Why do we care so much about the 2nd best team in baseball? It's nauseating. 

Fixed this for you. 

And we are trying to catch all the teams at the top. The Sox said multiple championships, so they better be worried about the second best team in baseball. 

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are they?

Dodgers are still better. They also aren't done and only have $100 million committed for 2022

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Because they are the other team that is in a very similar position to us and we can compare how each teams moves match up and so far the Padres have always been a number of steps a head of the White Sox. It's frustrating watching our office vs theirs. 

They aren't the same though. Their system is much better and deeper. They get extra draft picks. They have an owner that cares about winning who lets his GM spend internationally and draft prep players every year. It must be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What would we have to give up to get Gray or Woodruff? 

I have a hard time believing the Brewers would trade Woodruff unless some team is willing to really overpay, or they know something the rest of us don’t. 

Unless they have a hard on for a guy like Kopech, and the Sox were willing to let him go.

I'd gladly take Sonny Gray over Yu Darvish. 3 years younger and makes little less than half of what Darvish makes. Might come with a solid back-up gold glove catcher in Barnhart? Sign me up.

I'm not going to be buying the narrative from these 'food guys'. NotCishek can get the benefit of the doubt though. The other ones tweet too much its nauseating, Especially Als. I'll trust the guys on this board that have solid track records. (Besides Rosenthal, Passan, Heyman)

• Like 1

Gray scares me after how he sucked in New York. Could he be one of those guys that is better off on low pressure teams and towns?

But I like that the Sox still seem to be aggressive and going for it. Sounds like they're just waiting for something to pop. 

Just now, Ben Waffleson said:

I'd gladly take Sonny Gray over Yu Darvish. 3 years younger and makes little less than half of what Darvish makes. Might come with a solid back-up gold glove catcher in Barnhart? Sign me up.

I'm not going to be buying the narrative from these 'food guys'. NotCishek can get the benefit of the doubt though. The other ones tweet too much its nauseating, Especially Als. I'll trust the guys on this board that have solid track records. (Besides Rosenthal, Passan, Heyman)

The food guys do seem to be the same guy or are just buddies who have one with a source and play along. I do think there is a source, but since they have become more known, they seem to include some of their own ideas into their posts, and you can tell they don’t have much of a clue if they were on their own making stuff up.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have a hard time believing the Brewers would trade Woodruff unless some team is willing to really overpay, or they know something the rest of us don’t. 

Unless they have a hard on for a guy like Kopech, and the Sox were willing to let him go.

I think the Woodruff stuff comes from the Not Steve Cishek dude on twitter, who probably has been right more often than most of the other Sox 'insiders'. People probably figure if they considered it last season, they still might?

Just now, Sarava said:

Gray scares me after how he sucked in New York. Could he be one of those guys that is better off on low pressure teams and towns?

But I like that the Sox still seem to be aggressive and going for it. Sounds like they're just waiting for something to pop. 

Gray also sucked one year in Oakland. I don’t think he would fold with the White Sox, but supposedly he cost too much for the Sox earlier, so did the White Sox have a change of heart or did the Reds lower his price?

The NL  central is so winnable, why would the Brewers or Reds want to trade their good pitchers? And if they do, I suspect the price will be premium.
And in the Hahn era, these trades for vets have bitten the Sox in the rear more of than not, and on both sides of the trade.  Get this bullpen squared away, sign another starter and save the young pitching - they'll need it, just like they did last year.

As for the Rangers asking for Vaughn and talking them down off of that - well, that's how you overpay: thinking you've accomplished something by reducing some patently ridiculous demand. Heck, in those leaked emails, the astros were asking for a top prospect for Lucas Harrel.

Edited by GreenSox

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Gray also sucked one year in Oakland. I don’t think he would fold with the White Sox, but supposedly he cost too much for the Sox earlier, so did the White Sox have a change of heart or did the Reds lower his price?

I imagine the trades provided clarity for either the Sox or reds on cost. But with the Snell trade, a top 20 guy changed hands. So this won’t be cheap even if you view Snell as better, which both teams likely do

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is suddenly some real smoke that the Sox may be exploring trades for controllable starting pitchers.

First, we had this series of tweets from our raBBit:

So let's get this straight:

Instead of just signing a controllable SP like Q for JUST MONEY, they're going to trade MORE assets away for a controllable SP, after having traded away assets for a fat 34 year old rental.

Do I have this correct?

If so, it would appear that they're royally fucking up this offseason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d much rather trade Kopech for Castillo, I feel like Castillo is that much better than Gray. And the goal is to win the World Series every year, if you’re only aiming to win the division every year then your owner must be Jerry Reinsdorf. 

Just now, Rey21 said:

I’d much rather trade Kopech for Castillo, I feel like Castillo is that much better than Gray. And the goal is to win the World Series every year, if you’re only aiming to win the division every year then your owner must be Jerry Reinsdorf. 

I wish Jerry aimed to win the division every year and not simply second place. 

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Instead of just signing a controllable SP like Q for JUST MONEY, they're going to trade MORE assets away for a controllable SP, after having traded away assets for a fat 34 year old rental.

Do I have this correct?

Without buying into the "140m payroll" idea. Maybe just maybe this gives them more play in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Do I have this correct?

I’m not defending the logic, but all these guys are likely to be materially better than Quintana next year & beyond.  As for Lynn, who cares if he’s fat when he’s a damn good pitcher who’s proven he can pitch at that weight?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Do I have this correct?

We don't know if Q would even sign here. I mean, even if he does well, if there's no injuries and Kopech comes up at some point, he would be squeezed out to the pen. He might rather find a spot with a more secure spot in the rotation.

• Quin locked this topic