Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Padres aren't done either.  I think they closed the gap enough where you can't definitely say the Dodgers are better.  

Futures betting odds think so. In fact, the gap between the White Sox and Padres to win the 2021 World Series is less than the gap between the Padres and Dodgers.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yet last year during an actual pandemic fueled season, the Rangers wanted significantly more for Lynn.  TOR starters are never cheap at the trade deadline.

Don't be dishonest. You're smarter than that.

Comparing a guy with >1 year of control is not at all materially the same as a guy with 1 year or less of control.

Lynn had >1 year of control, so he wasn't really as much of a rental as he is today, or in July.

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Don't be dishonest. You're smarter than that.

Comparing a guy with >1 year of control is not at all materially the same as a guy with 1 year or less of control.

Lynn had >1 year of control, so he wasn't really as much of a rental as he is today, or in July.

Yeah I’m sure teams valued those September starts astronomically

The Sox are rumored to have offered Dunning & Madrigal for Clevinger at last year’s deadline.  If true, I think it’s fair to wonder if those are the top prospects they deem expendable and are looking to convert them into win now pieces.  Obviously Dunning has already been moved for a starter, but could Madrigal be the next guy to go?

I actually like Nick quite a bit and think he gets way too much hate in regards to his fielding & base running, but he’s also a 2B with a limited ceiling if he can’t develop any power (still TBD, but not promising at the moment).  And the reality is there are several 2B in free agency that could be had for a very reasonable price that would likely provide ~2 wins next year, some that are left-handed and who would provide better balance to the lineup (Wong, La Stella, etc).  I’m not suggesting we trade Madrigal for the sake of it, but there is an incredibly strong argument to move him now if teams view him as a legit top 40/50 prospect and he can be the centerpiece for a controllable starter.  That’s probably unrealistic, as rebuilding teams are unlikely to want a low ceiling 2B as the main piece in a trade, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the Sox were exploring it. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox are rumored to have offered Dunning & Madrigal for Clevinger at last year’s deadline.  If true, I think it’s fair to wonder if those are the top prospects they deem expendable and are looking to convert them into win now pieces.  Obviously Dunning has already been moved for a starter, but could Madrigal be the next guy to go?

I actually like Nick quite a bit and think he gets way too much hate in regards to his fielding & base running, but he’s also a 2B with a limited ceiling if he can’t develop any power (still TBD, but not promising at the moment).  And the reality is there are several 2B in free agency that could be had for a very reasonable price that would likely provide ~2 wins next year, some that are left-handed and who would provide better balance to the lineup (Wong, La Stella, etc).  I’m not suggesting we trade Madrigal for the sake of it, but there is an incredibly strong argument to move him now if teams view him as a legit top 40/50 prospect and he can be the centerpiece for a controllable starter.  That’s probably unrealistic, as rebuilding teams are unlikely to want a low ceiling 2B as the main piece in a trade, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the Sox were exploring it. 

I absolutely love me some Nick Madrigal magic for 6 years but would 100% be on board trading him for a good 2 or fringe 3 starting pitcher with control... and signing someone like Wong or LaStella.

100% on board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they are making Madrigal available the La Stella stuff from the food guys and the mention from James Fox now makes even more sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If they are making Madrigal available the La Stella stuff from the food guys and the mention from James Fox now makes even more sense. 

What mention from James?  New or older?  

But yeah, it could definitely add up...I just struggle to find a team with a controllable pitcher that would be interested in Madrigal.  I don’t see the Brewers moving Woodruff but even they did they’d have no interest in Nick.  The Mariners already have Long & Moore.  The Pirates have Nick Gonzales coming.  The Reds are stuck with  Moustakas for the near term and could move Senzel there if the spot opened up.  Unless Kroll thinks he can somehow solve their SS hole, I just don’t see a potential landing spot for him.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What mention from James?  New or older?  

But yeah, it could definitely add up...I just struggle to find a team with a controllable pitcher that would be interested in Madrigal.  I don’t see the Brewers moving Woodruff but even they did they’d have no interest in Nick.  The Mariners already have Long & Moore.  The Pirates have Nick Gonzales coming.  The Reds are stuck with  Moustakas for the near term and could move Senzel there if the spot opened up.  Unless Kroll thinks he can somehow solve their SS hole, I just don’t see a potential landing spot for him.

I don’t remember if he said it here or on Twitter. I just know that he said La Stella is an option depending on how the offseason shakes out.

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Maybe but the Sox won't get him if it does. Sox aren't trading Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet 

Why wouldn't the Sox trade Crochet? Many consider him to be a ticking time bomb . My best guess at him becoming an effective starter if he ever becomes one at around 2+ years from now. Odds on a major injury 50/50 in 2021. Odds that he eventually ends up in the BP 2:1.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why wouldn't the Sox trade Crochet? Many consider him to be a ticking time bomb . My best guess at him becoming an effective starter if he ever becomes one at around 2+ years from now. Odds on a major injury 50/50 in 2021. Odds that he eventually ends up in the BP 2:1.

Because when your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you can’t trade away potential superstars that have 6+ years of control. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Gray scares me after how he sucked in New York. Could he be one of those guys that is better off on low pressure teams and towns?

But I like that the Sox still seem to be aggressive and going for it. Sounds like they're just waiting for something to pop. 

Gray sucked in NY cause they told him not to throw his fastball as much as he used to. Once he got out, he went back to throwing the fastball more and he was way more successful. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Because when your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you can’t trade away potential superstars that have 6+ years of control. 

He's likely a potential BP piece maybe even a very good one and a major injury waiting to happen. If any team views him as a superstar SP why not take advantage of that right now?

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah, if your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf and you trade away a potential superstar with 6+ years of control, your punishment is remaining the White Sox's GM for the next 5+ seasons. 😁

• Quin locked this topic