Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Why is Crochet a major injury risk and ticking time bomb?  

1. Already had an elbow injury/pain during the playoffs last year.

2. Has incredibly few career innings, even compared to relief pitchers.

3. Throws exceedingly hard.

4. What pitcher isn't?

30 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Gray sucked in NY cause they told him not to throw his fastball as much as he used to. Once he got out, he went back to throwing the fastball more and he was way more successful. 

That doesn’t look like what happened. If anything they upped his fb usage, then reds had him cut down on his two seamer and put him near his early As pitch usage

A8FB31B2-B828-4E6E-8186-E90D02B73A66.png

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. Already had an elbow injury/pain during the playoffs last year.

2. Has incredibly few career innings, even compared to relief pitchers.

3. Throws exceedingly hard.

4. What pitcher isn't?

He’s never had any elbow issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

That doesn’t look like what happened. If anything they upped his fb usage, then reds had him cut down on his two seamer and put him near his early As pitch usage

Here's what he claims, but the data doesn't really match:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/sonny-gray-rips-yankees-for-forcing-him-to-throw-the-wrong-breaking-ball-but-the-stats-disagree/

He also admitted later that year NY wasn't a good fit for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/sonny-gray-rips-yankees-for-forcing-him-to-throw-the-wrong-breaking-ball-but-the-stats-disagree/

Weird. Yeah New York’s plan didn’t look bad, but clearly reuniting with his college coach worked. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He’s never had any elbow issues. 

Repetitive motion can irritate, inflame or strain the flexor and pronator tendons in the forearm -- the ones that bend the wrist toward the palm -- where they attach to the medial epicondyle, which is the bony bump on the inside of the elbow that is actually the base of the humerus bone. Flexor tendinitis, also known as medial epicondylitis, can manifest as pain on the inside of the elbow, loss of range of motion or a popping or locking sensation.

Typical recovery time

A wide range of timetables exists for flexor tendon injuries. Depending on the severity, they can carry a recovery time of anywhere from 1-2 weeks to 1-2 months. If surgery is required, recovery can take upwards of six months.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/injuries/forearm-flexor-tendinitis

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Man that article does not make me want Gray.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man that article does not make me want Gray.

I honestly didn't think too much of it. Guy was probably salty for being left off the playoff roster, he had a bad year, and the Yankees weren't a good fit for him. Lots of stuff that could cause a guy to be unhappy with his experience there and lead to those comments. We've seen that on the Sox too over the years.

A few months later he said this:

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah thanks for the history lesson. I’m aware that forearm soreness is a precursor to Tommy John in most cases. Crochet never actually had an elbow injury though. 

So I will admit I'm not an anatomy expert, but "a bony bump on the inside of the elbow that is actually part of the humerus bone" sounds like it's in the elbow. 

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

I got the numbers from FG. BIS apparently has different percentages than Baseball Savant. In 2018, his fastball% went down to 35%. They classified a bunch of his pitches as cutters (20%)

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Soxtalk said so after he got injured in game 3

Oh man come on. Let's use a little common sense here. Not only was it the injury in game 3 but he missed almost all of his last year in college because of shoulder pain. He also throws extremely hard and has no record of sustained starting pitching success in college. He is a long way away from becoming a reliable SP if we can agree that in a non Covid year a reliable SP should give you a minimum of 20 starts.

Common sense else tells me that you cannot predict injuries so you have that on your side. But I would be willing to bet anyone that in 2022 he doesn't get 20 starts . And if he doesn't get 20 starts in 2022 how likely is it that he will get 20 starts in 2023 ?

If the Sox can find a few GM's that think as highly as Soxtalk does of Crochet we should be looking to trade him ASAP. Everybody loves that 101-102 FB but who throws that hard as a SP for multiple years without a major injury ? That list is microscopic.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Reds would love to get Cease or Kopech for Gray.  Not happening.  Castillo?  Different story but still an unnecessary move because it would cost 1 plus a lot more.

Reds can have Madrigal but obviously offering a limited ceiling secondary piece like that isn't going to get the needle moving.

10 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Why is it that the same posters who "agreed" that Not Cishek was a fraud after he insisted the Sox were after Arenado even in the face of many denials including those by Stoney, still hang on his every word?  

You people are desperate.  

Is there even a single Not Cishek tweet in this thread?

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I got the numbers from FG. BIS apparently has different percentages than Baseball Savant. In 2018, his fastball% went down to 35%. They classified a bunch of his pitches as cutters (20%)

Seems like his pitches are hard to classify. Regardless, gray is a very good pitcher. I do kinda dislike how short right handers age

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah thanks for the history lesson. I’m aware that forearm soreness is a precursor to Tommy John in most cases. Crochet never actually had an elbow injury though. 

I thought the injury that took him out of the playoff game was the elbow. I know you corrected me on the collegiate injury when I said he had 2 elbow injuries. That one was the shoulder.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I thought the injury that took him out of the playoff game was the elbow. I know you corrected me on the collegiate injury when I said he had 2 elbow injuries. That one was the shoulder.

The description given afterwards was a forearm flexor strain. I’d love to know if that counts as an elbow injury or not in your eyes?

https://www.mlb.com/news/garrett-crochet-left-forearm-strain-update

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is there even a single Not Cishek tweet in this thread?

And the Arenado stuff was some random MLB Intel pop-up account that was so off base that even the official White Sox account started trolling it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Two different systems have vastly different pitch counts. Little different than your Jed Hoyer love letter.

It’s cute how you two so generously and selflessly provide each other with reading recommendations.  

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The description given afterwards was a forearm flexor strain. I’d love to know if that counts as an elbow injury or not in your eyes?

https://www.mlb.com/news/garrett-crochet-left-forearm-strain-update

Yes. That is elbow. Its the muscles that cross the inside of the elbow that support the UCL.

• Quin locked this topic