Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Madrigal, Stiever and Heuer is what he’s been saying 

Yeah I wouldn't be trading Madrigal for Plesac when we have some very good young pitching prospects already. Also, Heuer is a key in our current bullpen, doesn't make sense to make your bullpen weaker when trying to win. 

I would be okay sending any combination of Adolfo, Rutherford, Dalquist, Thompson.. pick a hitter and pitcher and I'd do that, but not sacraficing our starting 2B and Major league reliever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Yeah I wouldn't be trading Madrigal for Plesac when we have some very good young pitching prospects already. Also, Heuer is a key in our current bullpen, doesn't make sense to make your bullpen weaker when trying to win. 

I would be okay sending any combination of Adolfo, Rutherford, Dalquist, Thompson.. pick a hitter and pitcher and I'd do that, but not sacraficing our starting 2B and Major league reliever. 

You’re not getting Plesac for less than a superb package 

34 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

You are on the money.

I have a hard time understanding this board at times.  We want to trade our B and C level pieces for solid starting MLB pitchers.  Plesac had a 10/1 K/BB ratio last year and is doing this at the MLB level, not AA.  The Sox payroll in 2022 if we do nothing but get Hendriks this year is going to around $165 million next year and about $180 million by 2023 assuming they get a Gio extension done.  If we want pitching that doesn't cost $25 million per year, we have to go the trade route.  Jerry isn't going to $190-$200 million.  Let's say Cishek is right about the price.  You sign LaStella for 2/14 to replace Madrigal.  You still have a bullpen with 6 solid relievers and 4 starters that all averaged over 6 innings per start.  You have Cease and Kopech for #5 starter.  If they both work out you have pieces to trade for bats. 

Otherwise, if you don't want to trade anyone in your top 6-7, would you rather spend on Hendriks and Hand, have 3 good SP, and do 5 innings and bullpen two out of every 5 starts?  I think both work, but you just have to make a decision (well Rick and Jerry do) on what works for them, but this pipe dream that you are getting Plesac with 5 years of control for pennies on the dollar is laughable at best.

Personally I consider that deal knowing that the $7 million on LaStella and whatever you spend on one more reliever to replace Heuer is going to be less than you would spend on the open market for a FA SP in his 30's on the downside of his career.    I could be nuts.  Wouldn't be the first time, but it makes sense to me.  Let the beatdown of my ideas begin:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I have a hard time understanding this board at times.  We want to trade our B and C level pieces for solid starting MLB pitchers.  Plesac had a 10/1 K/BB ratio last year and is doing this at the MLB level, not AA.  The Sox payroll in 2022 if we do nothing but get Hendriks this year is going to around $165 million next year and about $180 million by 2023 assuming they get a Gio extension done.  If we want pitching that doesn't cost $25 million per year, we have to go the trade route.  Jerry isn't going to $190-$200 million.  Let's say Cishek is right about the price.  You sign LaStella for 2/14 to replace Madrigal.  You still have a bullpen with 6 solid relievers and 4 starters that all averaged over 6 innings per start.  You have Cease and Kopech for #5 starter.  If they both work out you have pieces to trade for bats. 

Otherwise, if you don't want to trade anyone in your top 6-7, would you rather spend on Hendriks and Hand, have 3 good SP, and do 5 innings and bullpen two out of every 5 starts?  I think both work, but you just have to make a decision (well Rick and Jerry do) on what works for them, but this pipe dream that you are getting Plesac with 5 years of control for pennies on the dollar is laughable at best.

Personally I consider that deal knowing that the $7 million on LaStella and whatever you spend on one more reliever to replace Heuer is going to be less than you would spend on the open market for a FA SP in his 30's on the downside of his career.    I could be nuts.  Wouldn't be the first time, but it makes sense to me.  Let the beatdown of my ideas begin:)

I just don't trust Plesac. I have NP trading Madrigal for a SP.

I'd target Luis Castillo 100% and throw a lot at him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I just don't trust Plesac. I have NP trading Madrigal for a SP.

I'd target Luis Castillo 100% and throw a lot at him. 

If you went that route you have him for 3 years but he's arbitration eligible for 2022 and 2023.  How expensive does that get?  To me that's why the Sox would target a lesser track record guy with good stuff to deal with.  You are going to trade more for Castillo and he's going to cost more dollars, which doesn't seem to be the White Sox way.   Anyone out there for Sonny Gray for the above package (or sub Steiver for Heuer if you like)?  Less control but more MLB experience?

To me it seems like there is about $20-$25 million to work with.  Do you sign lesser guys or trade for cheaper guys but give up talent?  In this current market I think trade is the better option

So let's get back to what type of pitcher we honestly thing we could get.  If what you are possibly working with is Madrigal, Steiver, Thompson, Heuer, Collins, etc.  Throw out a couple names of pitchers that might be a possibility.   Sonny Gray?  They have Moustakas though.  Woodruff?  Price would be higher or take many from that list and maybe Kelley?  Musgrove?  That could happen.  Marco Gonzales?  Solid if not spectacular.  Just signed 4 year deal with AAV $7.5 million.  That would align.  

The Sox plan right now seems to be to sign Hendricks (or Colome or Hand) and explore trades for a starting pitcher with years of control remaining.  And just about every rumored trade package has Codi Heuer in it.  Am I crazy to think that the Sox would be better off if they just made Heuer their closer and signed Bauer?  I would imagine the combined annual salaries of one of Hendricks/Colome/Hand + Sonny Gray (for example) would be in the ballpark of Heuer (peanuts right now) + Bauer.  If Heuer doesn't work out, there are always good closers available at the trade deadline. 

15 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Sox plan right now seems to be to sign Hendricks (or Colome or Hand) and explore trades for a starting pitcher with years of control remaining.  And just about every rumored trade package has Codi Heuer in it.  Am I crazy to think that the Sox would be better off if they just made Heuer their closer and signed Bauer?  I would imagine the combined annual salaries of one of Hendricks/Colome/Hand + Sonny Gray (for example) would be in the ballpark of Heuer (peanuts right now) + Bauer.  If Heuer doesn't work out, there are always good closers available at the trade deadline. 

Love the idea, but I'm thinking Hendriks ($12 - $13 million) and Gray ($10.7) will be less than Bauer (if you believe he wants $35 million).  I don't see the Sox spending more than another $25 million this offseason and they probably still want one more bat.

2 hours ago, Wisebri224 said:

Love the idea, but I'm thinking Hendriks ($12 - $13 million) and Gray ($10.7) will be less than Bauer (if you believe he wants $35 million).  I don't see the Sox spending more than another $25 million this offseason and they probably still want one more bat.

I believe Bauer or Hendriks/Gray deals are well within the FO budget.  JR knows the value of a championship team will skyrocket his and investors' holdings.  I would not be surprised at all if JR has a 2 or 3 year plan to move on.  The whole TL reunion smells like time to go out on top.  

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I believe Bauer or Hendriks/Gray deals are well within the FO budget.  JR knows the value of a championship team will skyrocket his and investors' holdings.  I would not be surprised at all if JR has a 2 or 3 year plan to move on.  The whole TL reunion smells like time to go out on top.  

He absolutely has the budget. The POS is paying otto porter 28 million to come off the bench. F JR if they don't sign one of Bauer or Hendriks

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'd go with Bummer but either way I definitely think Hendriks is an unnecessary signing right now.

• Quin locked this topic