Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It's funny to me how all these anti-Bauer people who use his 2019 against him and don't want to count his 2020 also want to give up the farm for Luis Castillo, a pitcher for whom the best argument for giving up the farm is his 2020. So 2020 counts for Castillo, but not Bauer? Why not just give up money for Bauer and keep all the talent in house?

Because budgets exist

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

1. That type of contract will be the end of any FA acquisitions for the next 3 years because of what it will do to their budget.

2. Long term deals to pitchers are very risky.

3. The guy still insists he wants to pitch every 4th day and i wouldn't want to disrupt the other pitchers in the rotation just for him.

1) So? What hole would there be at that point? Also, minor acquisitions would still be possible.

2) So is not having enough starting pitching in the playoffs. A 5 year deal for Bauer gives the White Sox his age 30-34 seasons, which is a good chance of not experiencing any decline barring injury.

3) He's not getting that anywhere. He'll get over it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because budgets exist

That's a great reason to not trade the farm for Castillo. The point I was making is that if the Sox have the money in the budget to trade the farm for Castillo and pay to replace that talent, then they have the money to sign Bauer and should just do that and keep their talent.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

1) So? What hole would there be at that point? Also, minor acquisitions would still be possible.

2) So is not having enough starting pitching in the playoffs. A 5 year deal for Bauer gives the White Sox his age 30-34 seasons, which is a good chance of not experiencing any decline barring injury.

3) He's not getting that anywhere. He'll get over it.

1. Any injuries or lack of development from players especially pitching as it has a higher injury rate. Plus Keuchal and Lynn aren't young 

2. 3 is enough pitching in the playoffs. The younger ones will have another season to develop.

3. Doesn't mean he won't cause trouble with it in the clubhouse, with the staff and for the entire length of the contract.  He is a little outspoken. 

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Kopech, Thompson, and Kelley for Castillo

Is that enough? Too much?

One guy who hasn't pitched since 2018 and 2 guys that haven't seen A-ball...I know we love our prospects but zero chance of that one. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

That's a great reason to not trade the farm for Castillo. The point I was making is that if the Sox have the money in the budget to trade the farm for Castillo and pay to replace that talent, then they have the money to sign Bauer and should just do that and keep their talent.

Who are we trading for Castillo that needs to be replaced right away?  Trust me, I want Bauer and think Reinsdorf is a cheap fuck, but a ~$140M budget are the parameters we likely have to work with this year and Bauer ain’t fitting into that.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are we trading for Castillo that needs to be replaced right away?  Trust me, I want Bauer and think Reinsdorf is a cheap fuck, but a ~$140M budget are the parameters we likely have to work with this year and Bauer ain’t fitting into that.

If that was always the case, then trading Dunning for Lynn was dumb.

I think the reality for us is twofold.  We need to add another starter, but also have limited trade chips to add an impactful one.  IMO, you explore the markets for all controllable starters and see if anyone is willing to bite for pieces like Madrigal, Heuer, & Stiever.  If not, hold your prospects and simply add a guy like Richards or Quintana.  You then see how things are going and reevaluate at the trade deadline.  We have a ton of prospects who could greatly improve their stock with solid 2021’s and I’d be hesitant to sell low on those guys.  For example, I think Kelley could probably be the headliner for Musgrove right now, but six months from now he could potentially be used towards a more impactful starter or for one with more control.  We don’t need to go “all-in” right now, but we do need to add enough depth to weather the storm.  If our last two moves are Richards (or Quintana) and La Stella, I can live with it if it means we still have all our prospect currency for future reinforcements.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why?  The payroll should jump up quite a bit after this season.  Jerry is worried COVID could result in a small operating loss and that’s simply not acceptable in Reinsdorf’s world.

"After this season" presumably does not have Lance Lynn in it. 

11 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

And this is where Reinsdorf’s cheapness is beyond appalling.  Instead of being able to add a starter at $10M and say La Stella at $7M, we now have to pivot to D tier starters in free agency or empty our prospect cupboard because Jerry won’t fund an extra $2M.  Fuck that clown.

• Like 7

Madrigal + Foster/Marshall + Thompson for Marco Gonzales... does SEA do that?  I'm okay with that package in principle.

I'm also probably okay with a Jon Gray package because I don't think that has a big prospect cost.  Also could be okay with a deal for one of NYY's extra back-end MLB-ready SPs.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he gets extend around 2/$40M.

I would hope so but I would expect if that's the case that likely would have happened by now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think it's just hard to give this FO the benefit of the doubt.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And this is where Reinsdorf’s cheapness is beyond appalling.  Instead of being able to add a starter at $10M and say La Stella at $7M, we now have to pivot to D tier starters in free agency or empty our prospect cupboard because Jerry won’t fund an extra $2M.  Fuck that clown.

Dumpster diving is absolutely inexcusable with the direction they have been teasing us going in. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be glad when we get an owner who isn’t so profit driven. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

1. Any injuries or lack of development from players especially pitching as it has a higher injury rate. Plus Keuchal and Lynn aren't young 

2. 3 is enough pitching in the playoffs. The younger ones will have another season to develop.

3. Doesn't mean he won't cause trouble with it in the clubhouse, with the staff and for the entire length of the contract.  He is a little outspoken. 

1) You're making the argument for signing Bauer for me. Everything you mentioned in this point is a great reason to sign Bauer and bring more long term stability to the rotation.

2) That kind of thinking will lose you a World Series in today's game. Get 4 SP and have the depth to rest and replace as needed. Also getting Bauer makes the Top 3 better.

3) The character risk thing is overblown and at the very least far outweighed by his talent.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It's not about "right away", it's about the cost of replacing all the talent that would be gone at the end of 2023. Or are we just tearing it all down at the end of 2023?

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic