Trade Whispers - Starting Pitchers

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think Beef is grasping at straws here a bit with this Perez stuff.  I’m sure we checked in on him, but I doubt we were ever serious.  I still think Hahn is targeting Richards or Quintana and is playing a bit of chicken with them.  If he fails in those pursuits and nothing materializes on the trade front, I could see Wainwright or Archer as backup plans, but I see those being last resorts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The Free Agent starters suck and would make this team worse

Musgrove is nice, but it 100% depends on price, absolutely no reason to give up a valuable piece for him.

Other trade targets: Castillo/Gray/Burnes all would cost a fortune, but with the right deal, definitely worth doing -- problem is I highly doubt a deal works.

Just sign Bauer. Immediately completes this team for the next 3 years. Bauer + Giolito as 1-2 would go up against any team in the playoffs. Lynn+Keuchel are extremely good 3/4 options. And best of all, we lose nothing except $$$$. This team has been pocketing money most of the last 5+ years due to the rebuild. Time to spend. Every fan should be pressuring Jerry to spend it for what we've endured. 

Worse than throwing Lopez out there every 5 days?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The Free Agent starters suck and would make this team worse

Musgrove is nice, but it 100% depends on price, absolutely no reason to give up a valuable piece for him.

Other trade targets: Castillo/Gray/Burnes all would cost a fortune, but with the right deal, definitely worth doing -- problem is I highly doubt a deal works.

Just sign Bauer. Immediately completes this team for the next 3 years. Bauer + Giolito as 1-2 would go up against any team in the playoffs. Lynn+Keuchel are extremely good 3/4 options. And best of all, we lose nothing except $$$$. This team has been pocketing money most of the last 5+ years due to the rebuild. Time to spend. Every fan should be pressuring Jerry to spend it for what we've endured. 

How would free agent starters make us weaker when our #5 right now is Reynaldo Lopez?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

will happily take the bet that musgrove outperforms non-bauer free agents over next two seasons.

I'd take that bet. 

I'll take the field of Odorizzi, Tanaka, Paxton, Quintana, Brett Anderson, Julio Teheran, Walker, and the rest of the bunch and you can take Musgrove. I like those odds. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How would free agent starters make us weaker when our #5 right now is Reynaldo Lopez?

It's really Lopez+Kopech as kopech would take his place part way through the season.

However I agree with the premise. If a innings eater 4-5 type is available without a crazy contract, it would be worth getting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It wouldn't, it's just massive hyperbole. 

Jose Quintana put up a higher WAR than Trevor Bauer in 2019. Trevor Bauer will also probably cost around 20 million dollars more than Jose Quintana. 

But all the FA starters suck, Bauer is the only answer, if the Sox don't sign him they are massive idiots and don't want to spend money, ever! (Did I miss any of the other narratives being beat to death?)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'd take that bet. 

I'll take the field of Odorizzi, Tanaka, Paxton, Quintana, Brett Anderson, Julio Teheran, Walker, and the rest of the bunch and you can take Musgrove. I like those odds. 

Honestly the only one I think will be close is Odorizzi if he goes to twins. And I love Paxton but it would be amazing if the dude gives 120 innings in a year. 

Just now, ptatc said:

It's really Lopez+Kopech as kopech would take his place part way through the season.

However I agree with the premise. If a innings eater 4-5 type is available without a crazy contract, it would be worth getting.

They need more arms. In my opinion it's more abut quantity at this point. Lopez can't be given a SP spot out of Spring Training unless injuries happen. Just can't happen at this point. You add a mid-level starter, it goes a long way in helping the depth of the staff, Lopez can be a long man or go back to AAA if they so choose, let Kopech work himself back up in AAA to start the year, and pray for good health. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

They need more arms. In my opinion it's more abut quantity at this point. Lopez can't be given a SP spot out of Spring Training unless injuries happen. Just can't happen at this point. You add a mid-level starter, it goes a long way in helping the depth of the staff, Lopez can be a long man or go back to AAA if they so choose, let Kopech work himself back up in AAA to start the year, and pray for good health. 

I would say it would be nice to have one more but not a need. I'm happy with Giolito, keuchal, Lynn and cease for the top 4. The 5th starter will get skipped regularly especially early in the season. That is a pretty good staff especially with the pen they've built.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

It wouldn't, it's just massive hyperbole. 

Jose Quintana put up a higher WAR than Trevor Bauer in 2019. Trevor Bauer will also probably cost around 20 million dollars more than Jose Quintana. 

But all the FA starters suck, Bauer is the only answer, if the Sox don't sign him they are massive idiots and don't want to spend money, ever! (Did I miss any of the other narratives being beat to death?)

I would agree with thus. They just don't need a Bauer type for what it would cost this team with where we usually see their budget.

Just now, ptatc said:

I would say it would be nice to have one more but not a need. I'm happy with Giolito, keuchal, Lynn and cease for the top 4. The 5th starter will get skipped regularly especially early in the season. That is a pretty good staff especially with the pen they've built.

Yeah, just disagree here. You need one more somewhat stable arm, especially after these guys just had a 60 game season and are now being asked to go back to a 162 grind. They need to have some reinforcements ready to go....because they'll need them at some point. And the beauty is they don't have to trade any assets to do it. Just need to spend a little more money. 

We'll see what they do, really hope they aren't done. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, just disagree here. You need one more somewhat stable arm, especially after these guys just had a 60 game season and are now being asked to go back to a 162 grind. They need to have some reinforcements ready to go....because they'll need them at some point. And the beauty is they don't have to trade any assets to do it. Just need to spend a little more money. 

I think they will go with what you are saying. They will get someone of the Q, Richard's, Walker ilk.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Agreed. I can't see this team going into a full 162 game season without any sort of depth for the rotation, especially after getting burned last year. I do think they will bring someone in, but it's not going to be someone from the top of the market. 

Stiever, Flores, Vargas, Mike Wright Jr. are the guys next in line in the even of an injury. That's a list of completely unproven or just not very good players. I purposefully left Kopech out because we all know he's a question mark for this year coming back after 2 seasons off. Realistically, you can't depend on him for this season, and if you are, then something has gone terribly wrong. Let him force the issue instead of making him a key component for success.

The Sox don’t need another top of the rotation SP. Their rotation right now is Giolito, Lynn, Kuechel, and Cease. That leaves a reliable #4 or #5 starter to fill out the rotation. They can find that in free agency without having to trade assets. 

Edited by maloney.adam

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think they will go with what you are saying. They will get someone of the Q, Richard's, Walker ilk.

Hope so. I still would also love someone like La Stella but that move is more of a luxury and me not being sold on Vaughn in 2021.

Roster isn’t going to be perfect, but adding a solid #4-#5 would go a long way, in my perspective. 

12 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Agreed. I can't see this team going into a full 162 game season without any sort of depth for the rotation, especially after getting burned last year. I do think they will bring someone in, but it's not going to be someone from the top of the market. 

Stiever, Flores, Vargas, Mike Wright Jr. are the guys next in line in the even of an injury. That's a list of completely unproven or just not very good players. I purposefully left Kopech out because we all know he's a question mark for this year coming back after 2 seasons off. Realistically, you can't depend on him for this season, and if you are, then something has gone terribly wrong. Let him force the issue instead of making him a key component for success.

In a perfect world, Kopech, Lopez, & Stiever enter the 2021 season as our #6, #7, & #8 starters.  I think those guys would work very well in those roles, but failing to add another starter moves them all up a spot and forces one of them (likely Lopez) into our opening day rotation.  That’s not acceptable for a team looking to win the World Series next year.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox don’t need another top of the rotation SP. Their rotation right now is Giolito, Lynn, Kuechel, and Cease. That leaves a reliable #4 or #5 starter to fill out the rotation. They can find that in free agency without having to trade assets. 

We should aim higher than a #5 type starter.

Here's my take, why Trade?? We need assets for the trader deadline in case of Covid, Injuries, A key player becomes available. There are more than enough stop gap 4th and 5th starters as free agents available. BAUER!!!!! Q, Ordorizzi, Kluber to name a few. 

We need to see what Kopech can do. He has Chris Sale potential, IF HE GETS HIS HEAD ON STRAIGHT. A BIG ASK, I KNOW. I Think we need the new pitching coach to judge Kopech, Cease, Lopez before we rush to trade assets. 

These assets could be used to get Benetendi also. 

Covid is going to play a BIG part this season. It would be nice to have a Kopech, Cease, Lopez ready to step up if one of the Big 3 or 4 gets sick or injured. 

I don't know if you've read other platforms, but they say one the reasons we got Hendriks is because of the fans lobbying Hendriks and the Sox begging for him to come here. Liam acknowledged that White Sox Fans Tweeting him and the Sox saying he's guy!!! 

We should start doing the same with Bauer before he signs!!!! Leave no stone unturned. Tweet, text, call and write the White Sox. Tweet, call and email Tony La Russa, JR, RH, KW. 

Whatever it takes. We are so deep in now with the Big 3 starters and an unbelievable bullpen. One more UPPER END starter and #1 like Bauer would clinch a date with destiny and the Dodgers to AVENGE THE 1959 LOSS IN THE ws. LOL. 

Social Media helped to get Hendriks, lets use it again to get another starter!!!! 

4 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Here's my take, why Trade?? We need assets for the trader deadline in case of Covid, Injuries, A key player becomes available. There are more than enough stop gap 4th and 5th starters as free agents available. BAUER!!!!! Q, Ordorizzi, Kluber to name a few. 

We need to see what Kopech can do. He has Chris Sale potential, IF HE GETS HIS HEAD ON STRAIGHT. A BIG ASK, I KNOW. I Think we need the new pitching coach to judge Kopech, Cease, Lopez before we rush to trade assets. 

These assets could be used to get Benetendi also. 

Covid is going to play a BIG part this season. It would be nice to have a Kopech, Cease, Lopez ready to step up if one of the Big 3 or 4 gets sick or injured. 

I don't know if you've read other platforms, but they say one the reasons we got Hendriks is because of the fans lobbying Hendriks and the Sox begging for him to come here. Liam acknowledged that White Sox Fans Tweeting him and the Sox saying he's guy!!! 

We should start doing the same with Bauer before he signs!!!! Leave no stone unturned. Tweet, text, call and write the White Sox. Tweet, call and email Tony La Russa, JR, RH, KW. 

Whatever it takes. We are so deep in now with the Big 3 starters and an unbelievable bullpen. One more UPPER END starter and #1 like Bauer would clinch a date with destiny and the Dodgers to AVENGE THE 1959 LOSS IN THE ws. LOL. 

Social Media helped to get Hendriks, lets use it again to get another starter!!!! 

Kluber was signed by the Yanks. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

What is a realistic number of innings to expect from Kopech in 2021?

16 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Let me ask you this though, do you think Joe Musgrove is worth trading assets for and better than what’s out there on the free agent market? 

I know this wasn’t directed at me, but yes, I believe he is better than what is out there in the non-Bauer free agency world. Would I trade assets for him? That completely depends on which assets. I’d give up Stiever and Thompson, but I don’t think Pitt would come close to making that deal. 

42 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox don’t need another top of the rotation SP. Their rotation right now is Giolito, Lynn, Kuechel, and Cease.

That's not going to win you a World Series, let alone last you a full season.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Let me ask you this though, do you think Joe Musgrove is worth trading assets for and better than what’s out there on the free agent market? 

Depends on what the cost is and how much Jerry is willing to spend.  I do like Musgrove a lot better than most of the free agent starters, but I’m also hesitant to give up say Jared Kelley for him.  It’s really a tough call IMO.

• Quin locked this topic