2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The more I'm reading about the building collapse in Miami the more I don't want to enter a multistory building again. 

We were on vacation in Florida when it happened and staying in a hotel just 40 miles south.

Heard a lot of good things about Ted Lasso on Apple TV and this is a perfect weekend to binge watch a show. Since i like Sudeikis and actually saw him many years ago in Second City at the Las Vegas Flamingo before SNL, I bought apple TV membership. 

I wondered if anybody has seen the first season? I would give it a thumbs up. I'm torn right now between calling it just "darn good" or "life altering must see TV good."

I have four episodes left in season one but I think I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I hear the final episode of season one is really good so we'll see if I think it's a 5 out of 5. Do u folks like the show?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So when I move into my neighborhood we had a couple excellent Mexican and Texas BBQ restaurants. Over the past seven years most of the fast food and chains moved a few miles down or closed,  a few other joints came and went. Now all we have are Mexican and BBQ.  But somehow, the competition is making them all better. I'm in a new BBQ place and damn it's going to be tough picking the top brisket from five choices within a couple miles. 

If I want Mexican I can close my eyes and walk into any of many and be happy. 

19 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'm not opening political opinions with this (I will delete political replies), but I want to know how many of you are paying attention and/or reacting to the COVID Delta variant news?

Me!  Very concerning!  Certainly influences "some" of my decision-making!

24 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'm not opening political opinions with this (I will delete political replies), but I want to know how many of you are paying attention and/or reacting to the COVID Delta variant news?

We are about to go on vacation to the biggest epicenter of current breakout, and it is depressing.

1 hour ago, knightni said:

With my mom being a nurse, I hear about it a lot. So far it seems to be pretty low risk for vaccinated people. Yes, several vaccinated people are getting it, but the illness is very minor. Well over 99% of people dying are unvaccinated. Her hospital has seen an increase in COVID patients, but very few are ending up in the ICU.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Buddy of mine caught it and went from anti shot,  no mask, to fanatical about masks and sanitizer. 

There's been a notable surge in number of vaccinations given in the past few weeks. As more and more OAN consumers actually get sick, and unfortunately die, the people around them will start to figure out that OAN isn't being completely honest with them.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

There's been a notable surge in number of vaccinations given in the past few weeks. As more and more OAN consumers actually get sick, and unfortunately die, the people around them will start to figure out that OAN isn't being completely honest with them.

An anti vaxx, anti mask, councilman here in Texas died a couple days ago from Covid. I found some of the comments really distasteful that practically cheered his death. I do hope his supporters put a mask on. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

An anti vaxx, anti mask, councilman here in Texas died a couple days ago from Covid. I found some of the comments really distasteful that practically cheered his death. I do hope his supporters put a mask on. 

Have someone arguing with me on Facebook that requiring vaccines is a form of "Marshall Law". I keep asking him who Marshall is and he hasn't answered.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Have someone arguing with me on Facebook that requiring vaccines is a form of "Marshall Law". I keep asking him who Marshall is and he hasn't answered.

Like shirts and shoes?

On 8/5/2021 at 8:54 AM, knightni said:

Not super psyched for my wife to go teach in rooms full of under-12's and my kids to be back in daycare/preschool full time. Feels like it's just a matter of time at this point before they catch it since they won't be eligible to be vaccinated for at least a few more months. At least my wife's district reinstated mask requirements for everyone after the CDC changed course.

I'll say I'm glad we squeezed a couple of road trips and my daughter's birthday party in in late June/early July before things ramped up again.

22 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Not super psyched for my wife to go teach in rooms full of under-12's and my kids to be back in daycare/preschool full time. Feels like it's just a matter of time at this point before they catch it since they won't be eligible to be vaccinated for at least a few more months. At least my wife's district reinstated mask requirements for everyone after the CDC changed course.

I'll say I'm glad we squeezed a couple of road trips and my daughter's birthday party in in late June/early July before things ramped up again.

Our governor is threatening any school district that requires masks with a loss of funding. Dallas ISD is fighting him on it, so we’ll see. My district has already stated we will follow state directions. I’m guessing I will have a good number of unvaccinated, un masked, 18 year olds in my classroom each day. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Our governor is threatening any school district that requires masks with a loss of funding. Dallas ISD is fighting him on it, so we’ll see. My district has already stated we will follow state directions. I’m guessing I will have a good number of unvaccinated, un masked, 18 year olds in my classroom each day. 

Meanwhile, a hospital in Houston is back to putting up tents as an overflow for Covid-19 patients because they are getting overwhelmed. Again.

Awesome.

Edited by Iwritecode

On 6/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, StrangeSox said:

Bad tornado in Woodridge area last night. Watching WGN this morning, both of my old neighborhoods there got hit. Homes just a block away from our old house were pretty heavily damaged, and the panned over some serious damage to the condo building we used to live in as well. Hope everyone in the area is safe and avoided the worst of the damage.

Tornadoes are weird. We happened to be in the area, so we drove down our old block yesterday. Our former house had it's crappy, 30 year old fence knocked down but otherwise looked fine. Half a block up, and several houses were missing half their roof, most of their siding, etc. and some very large, old oaks and maples were destroyed. Very clear east-west straight line through the neighborhood with serious damage, but if you went maybe four or five houses north/south of that line, you'd never know a storm came through.