2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

5 hours ago, flavum said:

No strike, so that’s good.

Get the last season of Saul on the air!

The Strike has not been averted, both managing powers just came to terms. The members of IATSE could still (and as of now, probably will) reject the deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Theft of catalytic converters has been happening for many, many years.

RVs are particularly vulnerable since they typically have a lot of ground clearance and sit in unsecured storage lots for months at a time.

Edited by Iwritecode

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Get.a.gun.greg 

12 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Theft of catalytic converters has been happening for many, many years.

RVs are particularly vulnerable since they typically have a lot of ground clearance and sit in unsecured storage lots for months at a time.

Not in Mt. Greenwood. This is home of Chicago police and fire fighters. Some rugged guys and women. Not sure why the thieves are hitting my neighborhood. But I would think the police in that neighborhood are figuring ways to catch these punks. Not sure how many elderly live in Mt. Greenwood. I know a woman who made her elderly parents move to her house in Colorado because she was afraid the punks would see mom and dad walking to the curb with use of walkers and deem the house an easy mark for home invasion.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Need to educate myself more on purchasing a suitable firearm for protection.

You keep saying that until it will be too late. Get yourself to a nice gun shop this afternoon. I’d consider buying at least three. Something small and concealable on your person at all times. Then, in a slick car holster, something with a little more bang for when multiple bad guys are coming at you. Finally a good old shotgun for hunting up some food or stopping folks from stealing your provisions. Less than a $1,000 and you will travel and sleep so much better.

Don’t forget the ammo!

• Like 1

And Greg, that iron won’t help anyone unless you get some serious training and stay sharp. You tend to freak out over shadow problems and some folks here have written to ol’ Tex and told him that G7 might be a tad too overreactionary for a serious weapon. A famous lawman of the 60s only carried one bullet and he wouldn’t load it unless there was a serious problem. He may be your role model. Don’t go all Dirty Harry when you feel those seven pounds of manhood on your hip. 

21 hours ago, greg775 said:

My wife told me about this as well...we live just one neighborhood over from Mt Greenwood....crazy stuff around here....I cannot believe how much gunfire we have heard on a nightly basis for the last few years.

The Ulta by my house has been robbed 3 times. 3 times in the last 7 days. A group of 2-4 people come in with bags and slide all the fragrance in their bags and drive off in a stolen car that is then abandoned on the West/Southwest side of the city. This is basically it every time. 

Ulta is a retail giant - truly one of the jewels of a rough sector. They're not protecting their customer or employees. What gives?

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

The Ulta by my house has been robbed 3 times. 3 times in the last 7 days. A group of 2-4 people come in with bags and slide all the fragrance in their bags and drive off in a stolen car that is then abandoned on the West/Southwest side of the city. This is basically it every time. 

Ulta is a retail giant - truly one of the jewels of a rough sector. They're not protecting their customer or employees. What gives?

That’s a retaiL theft not a robbery. And retail theft has been basically decriminalized in Cook County hence why it occurs so much. 

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

That’s a retaiL theft not a robbery. And retail theft has been basically decriminalized in Cook County hence why it occurs so much. 

Right. We had some discussion on that the other week but too many people were trashing admin orthodoxy so it was removed. Ulta needs to have security or barriers to deter these criminals in areas where the local government makes a concerted effort to leave the citizenry at risk. Enough is enough. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

And Greg, that iron won’t help anyone unless you get some serious training and stay sharp. You tend to freak out over shadow problems and some folks here have written to ol’ Tex and told him that G7 might be a tad too overreactionary for a serious weapon. A famous lawman of the 60s only carried one bullet and he wouldn’t load it unless there was a serious problem. He may be your role model. Don’t go all Dirty Harry when you feel those seven pounds of manhood on your hip. 

Thanks for the advice. What about mace as an alternative?

22 hours ago, raBBit said:

Right. We had some discussion on that the other week but too many people were trashing admin orthodoxy so it was removed. Ulta needs to have security or barriers to deter these criminals in areas where the local government makes a concerted effort to leave the citizenry at risk. Enough is enough. 

If this is in Chicago, Ulta considers it the price of doing business.  In an attempt by the city to have these stores in lower income areas the city makes them put stores in certain areas in order to allow them into other areas.

If Best Buy wants to open in Lincoln Park, they have to open a store in Englewood.  That was the policy 10 years ago, I am not certain if it still is.

28 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If this is in Chicago, Ulta considers it the price of doing business.  In an attempt by the city to have these stores in lower income areas the city makes them put stores in certain areas in order to allow them into other areas.

If Best Buy wants to open in Lincoln Park, they have to open a store in Englewood.  That was the policy 10 years ago, I am not certain if it still is.

It's not in Chicago. It's in Cook County. Crime in Cook County suburbs is way up. The vast majority of the people committing the crimes are from Chicago. They leave the city, rob a store in a nice suburban area, return back to the city and ditch the stolen car. 

6 hours ago, raBBit said:

Are you always trolling?

Greg is afraid of being carjacked and other violent crimes. As he pointed out, criminals have guns. If some guy just shot my wife and was aiming at one of my kids, you bet I'd rather have one of my guns in my hand than a cell phone or pepper spray. 

I may write to Greg in a joking way,  but if Greg is serious about his fears, he needs a gun. I don't know how he sleeps at night. He also needs hours of training and many hours more of shooting practice. There are areas of this world this aren't pretty. If he has a job that takes him to those spots,  perhaps late at night,  he needs to protect himself. 

3 hours ago, Vacheron said:

To be fair, most carjackers don't want to commit murder and most people getting carjacked don't want to shoot anyone.

Hmmm ... carjacking is one of the most serious crimes imaginable along with home invasion. Anybody guilty of these crimes deserves some PT, prison time. Getting lenient with these perpetrators is WRONG as Chicago will find out when the city is a ghosttown in a couple years when people move OUT.

Edited by greg775