Student Loan Debt

Texsox

Student Loans  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have student loans?

• Yes and $10,000 forgiveness will eliminate it.
    • Yes and $10,000 would make a significant dent.
    • Yes but it's hardly enough to make a difference
    • No. Student loan debt free.

7 hours ago, RTC said:

For the record, Teslas don’t qualify because they exceed the production volume quota.  That said, I get your point 100%

I thought people who bought a Tesla received a tax credit. Basically a company can charge more for their product if their customers are getting a little elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

I thought people who bought a Tesla received a tax credit. Basically a company can charge more for their product if their customers are getting a little elsewhere. 

I think the number is something like a sales cap of 200,000 vehicles sold.  Vehicles (individual models, not brands) over that do not qualify (which include teslas and some GMs I believe).   I’m not sure if there’s a hard cutoff or a typical convoluted phase out.  Also, the $7500 is not for every EV - I think the actual number is tied to battery capacity and other things.  But, like I said, your point in general still stands.

Edited by RTC

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

So if a couple people can shut down the forgiveness program with a lawsuit, can I then sue those people for my $10,000?  

Sounds legit to me.  The amount of haters and people complaining about this is amazing though.  They act like 10-20K is a lot of money.  The people over the course of their loan probably pay that in interest alone.  So the government is just giving back the profit's made on the loans.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:37 PM, southsider2k5 said:

The guy who brought the suit got almost $50k in PPP money, and then got it forgiven.

If Kanye, Kyrie and Chappelle can get cancelled for what they said, why isn't it happening to this guy? Everybody should know his name, and boycott every company he's associated with.

3 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Sounds legit to me.  The amount of haters and people complaining about this is amazing though.  They act like 10-20K is a lot of money.  The people over the course of their loan probably pay that in interest alone.  So the government is just giving back the profit's made on the loans.

The thing is we use these kind of things in the tax code literally every day.  People get deductions and tax breaks for everything under the sun.  This really isn't any different.  But this isn't going to the 1% so now they are big mad.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The thing is we use these kind of things in the tax code literally every day.  People get deductions and tax breaks for everything under the sun.  This really isn't any different.  But this isn't going to the 1% so now they are big mad.

I agree 100%.  It will wipe out some people's debt, but those people have been paying for years to get to that point.  I know people who are 100K+ in debt.  10K is nice but it's not life changing.  Next time some tax break for the rich comes up, we all should riot and file a lawsuit.

4 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I agree 100%.  It will wipe out some people's debt, but those people have been paying for years to get to that point.  I know people who are 100K+ in debt.  10K is nice but it's not life changing.  Next time some tax break for the rich comes up, we all should riot and file a lawsuit.

It's funny, because if you use the standard that is always used for tax cuts, this is WAY more efficient. The spending rates of the people who still have student loans are WAY higher than where most of the tax cuts of recent years have gone.  But of course that gets forgotten here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1