Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Tanaka may be what we need, but he ain't happenin'. Rumors are that he's considering going back to Japan on a 4-year deal. If he's staying here, it's to re-sign with the Yankees. 

He's 32. He doesn't want a 1-year deal from a new club that he doesn't know if he's ultimately looking to go back to Japan eventually.

I know man and I'm actually pumped about it because I'm a huge Rakuten fan and I just can't believe he would end up anywhere other than Rakuten and good LORD do they need him right now. Tanaka/Norimoto/Kishi/Wakui/Shiomi/Takinaka with Ishibashi/Yuge on the outside-looking-in is all of a sudden a LEGIT rotation, especially considering that Hayakawa could be ready sooner or later and could jump in when Shiomi gets hurt or Wakui/Takinaka turn back into pumpkins.

But my point is that what the Sox need is a reliable veteran #3 on a market-rate 1 year deal, whether that's Tanaka or not.

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

My thing is, based on everything I've read, Vaughn is ready to "take his lumps" to make the transition, and I think the best time to have an important player go through that is when the offense is already amazing and doesn't need to put pressure on him to produce. Also, with Yermin/Collins are almost aging out of being prospects without ever being given a shot -- they are the perfect dup to sink or swim as the 30-60 day service time bridge they need to find for Vaughn anyway. 

And then again with such an obvious need to spend the money on in SP, idk, it just seems really obvious that splurging on a veteran rental DH is almost literally the last thing the roster needs.

I agree.  Would love to see Yermin get the DH 3rd Catcher role while we wait for Vaughn to make his debut.  Maybe we find Yermin has some value since the NL will have some clubs in need shortly.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

My thing is, based on everything I've read, Vaughn is ready to "take his lumps" to make the transition, and I think the best time to have an important player go through that is when the offense is already amazing and doesn't need to put pressure on him to produce. Also, with Yermin/Collins are almost aging out of being prospects without ever being given a shot -- they are the perfect dup to sink or swim as the 30-60 day service time bridge they need to find for Vaughn anyway. 

And then again with such an obvious need to spend the money on in SP, idk, it just seems really obvious that splurging on a veteran rental DH is almost literally the last thing the roster needs.

I understand, it's just I think you are getting a near Trout like bat in Cruz  for the same money as someone like Tanaka , Ordorizzi, Paxton guys you really have to cross your fingers on. Cruz is due for regression one of these years but after being Trout like in 2020 how much drop off can we really expect ? That lineup and BP would cover up a lot of pitching regression if Keuchel and Lynn aren't up to their usual snuff.  You could pick up pitching at the TDL but a bat like Cruz isn't readily available in most circumstances.

Cruz seems like he almost single handedly got the Twins into the playoffs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I understand, it's just I think you are getting a near Trout like bat in Cruz  for the same money as someone like Tanaka , Ordorizzi, Paxton guys you really have to cross your fingers on. Cruz is due for regression one of these years but after being Trout like in 2020 how much drop off can we really expect ? That lineup and BP would cover up a lot of pitching regression if Keuchel and Lynn aren't up to their usual snuff.  You could pick up pitching at the TDL but a bat like Cruz isn't readily available in most circumstances.

Cruz seems like he almost single handedly got the Twins into the playoffs.

BBRef has him at a projected .883 OPS which would be better production from DH than anyone else we could get (Ozuna projection at .817, Brantley at .814), and would be the best production we've had at DH since Thome.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah something was up with that page. It got to a point where it was unreadable. 

That was from 15 years ago, probably 5 content management systems and multiple servers, and SI likely cares very little about making sure the markup kept working

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you noticed, Hector is reporting on international FA signings today. Have a strong feeling the news he mentioned will be Vera signing.

Him hyping up a signing that’s been known for six months is beyond lame, but definitely feels like that’s how this will shake out.

29 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He won't see the wrath coming. 

He felt a lot of it prior offseasons. I'd like to think he isn't that dumb, but in the same token, most casual Sox fans do not know who Veras is or even remember the articles last February. Still a big deal to get one of the top arms in the period, but we're all die hards, and thanks to Jimmy, we all know it's been a done deal since last year.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min