the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

24 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

With their bullpen they should have loved the idea of Q.  They don't need him to go 3 times through the order.

I hated the allocation of resources to Hendriks, but whatever, he's here now.  Spending to deepen the bullpen makes sense if you're going to use the advantages you get from it.  They could have always slotted Keuchel between Q and Cease to give the pen a break.  

I'm not sure the Sox have much of a plan here.

The Sox have actually been one of the more aggressive teams this offseason. It’s just that when other teams start signing players as well, some fans get impatient. There are other teams out there with needs as well. Just be patient. In regards to Hendriks, we needed someone like that in the bullpen that will bring some fire and energy to the mound. He is definitely worth the investment of those resources.

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This , excluding the you're an idiot.

This whole thing never made much sense.

It was just an offshoot of the annual rumors over the last 2-3 off seasons about maximizing a return for Hader before 1) he became too expensive, or 2) his arm/shoulder/elbow wore out.   That and the fact we've traded something like 4-5 veteran middle relievers and Saladino meant some type of partnership was plausible or reasonable.

Not unlike the same concern Sox fans had for years about Chris Sale...which were finally realized with the Carmines.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Drake Is Our Leader said:

Burnes is young and under control. Sounds like we are making a wild stab at a player we like, with an org that we know well. Does not sound like Brewers are shopping him actively, nor would that make sense.

So we are taking our shot, but faced with paying up or not. Probably have two needs we want to fill with what ownership is giving us $-wise and wish we had more.

I think this is definitely it. They are trying to get a cheap, under control, and high reward guy they long wanted while giving up assets that won't immediately impact the current window. I don't think they will get him unless Hahn caves. The Brewers have no need to trade him at this time. If JR would open his pocket books, I could probably stomach trading Vaughn if they went out and got a guy like Ozuna to hold down DH.

This thread hits the inevitable zombie status where it is basically dead but there won’t be closure because he likely isn’t traded anywhere so we’ll just keep coming back and talking about gyros soon

1 hour ago, Sox80 said:

Let's wait and see.   If that was the case why spend 13 million on a closer. Just my two sense. 

There just seems to be a certain incompetence with this FO. And if this falls apart and now the Sox have no decent options left or won't just pony up the dough for Bauer or at least someone like Pax it is only gonna make the bitterness worse.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

or Gordon Beckham for Roy Halladay.  

That's why I said sometimes. Lol.   I do remember talk about halladay being traded to the sox fallen through. I don't remember what the package was though.  I'm assuming because the sox didn't want to give Beckham?

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

There just seems to be a certain incompetence with this FO. And if this falls apart and now the Sox have no decent options left or won't just pony up the dough for Bauer or at least someone like Pax it is only gonna make the bitterness worse.

I don't completely disagree with your comments. That said I think reinsdorf is the big reason why this stuff happens.  I actually like Rick Hahn.  His hands are handcuffed with the restraints he's dealt with.  I know his free agent track record hasn't been the best lately.  That's what happens when you have to go dumpster diving more than often. 

4 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

I don't completely disagree with your comments. That said I think reinsdorf is the big reason why this stuff happens.  I actually like Rick Hahn.  His hands are handcuffed with the restraints he's dealt with.  I know his free agent track record hasn't been the best lately.  That's what happens when you have to go dumpster diving more than often. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to point a finger at Hahn. 

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

or Gordon Beckham for Roy Halladay.  

I worked in the blue Jays front office in 2009. Harry Einbinder had an office to my left. Kevin Briand was across the hall. And, no joke, paul Beeston shared a wall on the right. At no point were the white Sox serious suitors for halladay and blue Jays scouts were bearish on beckham. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 4

26 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Change front office to ownership and then sure 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I worked in the blue Jays front office in 2009. Harry Einbinder had an office to my left. Kevin Briand was across the hall. And, no joke, paul Beeston shared a wall on the right. At no point were the white Sox serious suitors for halladay and blue Jays scouts were bearish on beckham. 

Reinsdorf didn't want to give Halladay the 3yr/$60M extension the Phillies gave him.  

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think this is definitely it. They are trying to get a cheap, under control, and high reward guy they long wanted while giving up assets that won't immediately impact the current window. I don't think they will get him unless Hahn caves. The Brewers have no need to trade him at this time. If JR would open his pocket books, I could probably stomach trading Vaughn if they went out and got a guy like Ozuna to hold down DH.

This is how you end up with a bloated payroll, overpaying for veterans, especially at positions like DH and 1B.

And Ozuna would play LF, relegating Jimenez to DH probably before you really want to give up on him as at least a semi-competent fielder. 

Just not a big fan of overspending for past production in free agency...let someone else give a Brantley+ contract to Ozuna.

Vaughn's cheap production his first 3-4 years with the White Sox will offset giving someone like Giolito an extension.  It's possible that ship has already sailed, or will with another fine year from Lucas.   But at least you have the flexibility to spend it on another starting pitcher, as offense isn't our most critical need at the moment.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is how you end up with a bloated payroll, overpaying for veterans, especially at positions like DH and 1B.

And Ozuna would play LF, relegating Jimenez to DH probably before you really want to give up on him as at least a semi-competent fielder. 

Just not a big fan of overspending for past production in free agency...let someone else give a Brantley+ contract to Ozuna.

Vaughn's cheap production his first 3-4 years with the White Sox will offset giving someone like Giolito an extension.  It's possible that ship has already sailed, or will with another fine year from Lucas.   But at least you have the flexibility to spend it on another starting pitcher, as offense isn't our most critical need at the moment.

Worrying about your payroll 4+ years out is how you end up with only 6 postseason appearances in 39 years of ownership. Amazing 25 other teams can figure out how to to hand out $100M+ contracts to players and make it work.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Blackout Friday said:

This is super interesting to hear.  I remember a KW interview, (I think it was the season after the Jays traded Halladay) where he was talking about a trade that didn't happen that would have absolutely stacked the Sox pitching staff for the 2010 season.  I always assumed he meant Halladay, but it would look like he was talking about someone else.  Man, I wonder who he was talking about back then...

• Quin locked this topic