the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That is false. If Crochet stays healthy and deals this year I could see his value skyrocketing. There are not many LHP on earth that can throw a baseball like him. 

The floor, assuming health, looks to be a solid setup man. The ceiling is Randy Johnson. 

It's my opinion that his value will never be higher because right now, he looks like a scary dominant lefty who throws 103 with a wipeout slider. But it's so easy to get caught up in visions of him being a #1 starter long-term that I feel as if his flaws are being ignored. The fact that you can say he has a Randy Johnson ceiling right now speaks to the fact that his value is more likely to decrease than increase

19 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/garrett-crochet-100-mph-pitches

I'm sorry, why entertain trading this dude?  It looks like a reasonable floor is an Andrew Miller type, a likely outcome is an Aroldis Chapman type, a good outcome is a Chris Sale type and if he puts it all together and hits his ceiling.... well, grab some bench, everyone.

"Good outcome is Sale"

Sale was a top 3 pitcher for 7 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

what did the reddit thread actually say was what we're offering?

madrigal, heuer, stiever, thompson was what our elevator-loving reddit poster heard was agreed to then milwaukee countered with Crochet.

It's incredibly frustrating that we're left debating whether the team should give up important, impact big league pieces -- Madrigal, Heuer, Crochet, Vaughn, Kopech -- to get a young starter, when there's an even better starter on the market that the Sox could sign and still have a payroll well below other major market teams.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

it's fun thinking about the way I follow the sox now isn't much different than the people that loved twilight so much they read additional fan-fic and my EL James is the combined foodies.

edit: accidentally mixed up twilight/fifty shades of gray authors, embarrassing.

• Haha 1

There's a lot of upside to the proposed package. I guess I can see why Milwaukee would want Crochet, but at the same time they are getting a 4 players with pretty high ceilings. Stiever and Thompson are two of our better SP prospects, Heuer could be a closer, and obviously Madrigal could lead the league in batting average. All for a guy who, yes looks pretty good but also hasn't really proven it long term yet. 

12 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It's incredibly frustrating that we're left debating whether the team should give up important, impact big league pieces -- Madrigal, Heuer, Crochet, Vaughn, Kopech -- to get a young starter, when there's an even better starter on the market that the Sox could sign and still have a payroll well below other major market teams.

Here would be one difference (this may be a new thread):

If you take attendance numbers from the last 5 years (I know Jerry is still making money hand over fist), the Sox consistently average between 15-25,000 less people per game.  At $30 a ticket that's $600K per game or $48 million over the course of a season.  Dude is still counting 100's just from the TV deal, but it is something he could point at.  I would counter with, your team has sucked, but it's still something.  He will NEVER spend like the NY teams, LAd, or even LAA

6 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

If you take attendance numbers from the last 5 years (I know Jerry is still making money hand over fist), the Sox consistently average between 15-25,000 less people per game.  At $30 a ticket that's $600K per game or $48 million over the course of a season.  Dude is still counting 100's just from the TV deal, but it is something he could point at.  I would counter with, your team has sucked, but it's still something.  He will NEVER spend like the NY teams, LAd, or even LAA

Also, nobody wants to pay attention to the Luxury Tax.  It doesn't just play on your 25 man payroll, it's 40.  The Sox right now are at $163 million(it includes dead money, benefits, etc) .  Cap is $210.  Yes, that's a $47 million dollar gap, but here's the deal.  Next year with extensions locking in for our core, that number goes up $20 million with adding nothing.  No Lynn extension, no Gio extension.  You sign Bauer and both of those guys are probably gone.  Jerry isn't going into the luxury tax.  Would Bauer sign a one year $35 million?  Maybe, but that's about the only way that pipedream works I think

Edited by Wisebri224

17 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Like I said earlier, I think James might know who that Dayton guy is. I have no idea if Dayton is credible, but I don’t believe he just made that up after reading the Reddit stuff. 

Hello Soxtalk,

Long time reader first time caller.  Sorry to get everybody excited with my Twitter post.  I’m not sure how credible you will consider a nobody like myself but I do get a decent amount of info. Here is the truth to it:

That package is something I have/had heard from multiple people as to what was on the table and potentially ‘close’ for Burnes.  I may be in the minority but I didn’t like it. Burnes has electric stuff (savant is beautiful) but to me I don’t know why we give up Madrigal/Heuer/Kelley for a guy with 9 starts and was previously an up and down reliever. It’s a decent amount of depth from a team that has limited trade capital for a fourth starter that would be able to pitch 100-120 innings tops in 2021? Is it really so hard just to sign that depth starter (Richards) and figure out the Cease/Kopech scenario as the season goes? Or in a perfect world, have done this for someone a bit more projectable like anyone the Padres got? Or Sonny Gray? Or sign Trevor Bauer (ha..ha) Burnes ceiling is the moon but so is Kopech’s and Crochet’s. We have guys like him. I would rather have someone with a higher floor. 

So, as a total joke in a chat I’m in, I said I am going to say the deal is ‘done’ and try to ‘Joc Pederson’ it. I figure it would be a funny win/win either I get the deal or I can believe I jinxed it (which I’m sure I have nothing to do with). 

So first of all, Hi! Second of all, sorry for my dumb tweet you’ll see I don’t even really post on Twitter. Third, that Reddit guy is way off base. His idea that the trade was ‘done’ but the Brewers asked for Crochet instead of Stiever? Yeah a deal is ‘done’ but then the team asked for a headliner instead of the fourth piece, doesn’t work that way. He’s pretty far off. 

No clue if anything here ever happens but it seems they will talk to the Brewers until the dawn of time with Codi Heuer going there for something. They’ve been at this since the deadline last year. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

He doesn't need to spend like the big boys. He could spend as needed to optimize the roster. Our payroll is still moderate and the next two years are the time to spend while current players are cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

Hello Soxtalk,

Long time reader first time caller.  Sorry to get everybody excited with my Twitter post.  I’m not sure how credible you will consider a nobody like myself but I do get a decent amount of info. Here is the truth to it:

That package is something I have/had heard from multiple people as to what was on the table and potentially ‘close’ for Burnes.  I may be in the minority but I didn’t like it. Burnes has electric stuff (savant is beautiful) but to me I don’t know why we give up Madrigal/Heuer/Kelley for a guy with 9 starts and was previously an up and down reliever. It’s a decent amount of depth from a team that has limited trade capital for a fourth starter that would be able to pitch 100-120 innings tops in 2021? Is it really so hard just to sign that depth starter (Richards) and figure out the Cease/Kopech scenario as the season goes? Or in a perfect world, have done this for someone a bit more projectable like anyone the Padres got? Or Sonny Gray? Or sign Trevor Bauer (ha..ha) Burnes ceiling is the moon but so is Kopech’s and Crochet’s. We have guys like him. I would rather have someone with a higher floor. 

So, as a total joke in a chat I’m in, I said I am going to say the deal is ‘done’ and try to ‘Joc Pederson’ it. I figure it would be a funny win/win either I get the deal or I can believe I jinxed it (which I’m sure I have nothing to do with). 

So first of all, Hi! Second of all, sorry for my dumb tweet you’ll see I don’t even really post on Twitter. Third, that Reddit guy is way off base. His idea that the trade was ‘done’ but the Brewers asked for Crochet instead of Stiever? Yeah a deal is ‘done’ but then the team asked for a headliner instead of the fourth piece, doesn’t work that way. He’s pretty far off. 

No clue if anything here ever happens but it seems they will talk to the Brewers until the dawn of time with Codi Heuer going there for something. They’ve been at this since the deadline last year. 

Thanks for clearing things up. You are all good, and feel free to stick around. 

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Several teams passed on him in June for other lottery picks, so I would say they  are out there.

The lack of a college season killed him.  If he had pitched anything like he did for the White Sox, he would have been a 1-1 or close to it.

• Like 3

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

He doesn't need to spend like the big boys. He could spend as needed to optimize the roster. Our payroll is still moderate and the next two years are the time to spend while current players are cheap. 

Is it according to the tax threshold???? See my post above.  The extensions are starting to set in for the young guys starting next year.  If the plan is to extend Gio and Lynn (this year we are $47 million below, next year closer to $27 million below), there is your extra space.  It isn't we are at $120 million, go to $150-$160.  Jerry's not spending luxury tax dollars, whether we want him to or not.  One year deals for big bucks might be the only way

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The lack of a college season killed him.  If he had pitched anything like he did for the White Sox, he would have been a 1-1 or close to it.

I read that, it was Callis i believe who said that. But, if he pitched 5 innings and had to depart in college, there's a good chance the White Sox pick someone else.

He is obviously talented far more than most. I just hope he can stay healthy enough to enjoy a lucrative career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Thanks for clearing things up. You are all good, and feel free to stick around. 

Thanks and I’ll leave the tweet up just in case lol I have no Twitter rep to kill anyways, all I do is retweet posts trying to win baseball cards and such. 

• Quin locked this topic