Folty signs with Rangers

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think this is true but I do agree that they'll be minor league deals. I think a catcher is coming still and possibly Folty and some versatile vet infielder/DH type on a minors deal. 

The team is on the floor for guaranteed money. Anyone they sign from here on out will have to play their way on the team during spring training.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The team is on the floor for guaranteed money. Anyone they sign from here on out will have to play their way on the team during spring training.

I heard we traded for Nolan Arenado.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think this is true but I do agree that they'll be minor league deals. I think a catcher is coming still and possibly Folty and some versatile vet infielder/DH type on a minors deal. 

Going back to this, what the hell happened to Scooter Gennett? Did he retire? Is he a guy they could sign to a minor league deal?

29 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Going back to this, what the hell happened to Scooter Gennett? Did he retire? Is he a guy they could sign to a minor league deal?

I think Brock holt and Travis Shaw should also be looked at.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

This budget can’t be a strict budget, right? Let’s say Bauer wants to sign a five year, $25M deal with the Sox because he loves us so much. We’re not turning that down because of our budget. 

I realize that’s a ridiculous hypothetical, but I’m using it to ask an honest question. The budget is not 100% cut and dry, right?

Bottom line is it depends and would never officially be disclosed to the public for operational and competitive reasons.

Typically a Board of Directors, of which Jerry is Chairman of the White Sox’ which also consists of other minority owners, formally approve an annual operating budget and/or maximum authorization of expenses per annum. There are also likely restrictions on a club accessing debt or capital without prior board approval.

So while Jerry has authority to approve the day to day operations of the club as CEO, and may have billions of dollars to his name, he can’t give Kenny/Hahn a blanket approval and sign/trade for Bauer, Springer, Cole, Darvish, Arenado and others resulting in say a $500M payroll in 2021, unless that amount was approved by the board prior to executing the contract.

Jerry could go back to the board for formal approval of an increase. The club would never give precise details publicly, but at times someone will leak an approximate budget amount to say someone whose name rhymes with Slob Martingale.

Hope that helps with your question.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bottom line is it depends and would never officially be disclosed to the public for operational and competitive reasons.

Typically a Board of Directors, of which Jerry is Chairman of the White Sox’ which also consists of other minority owners, formally approve an annual operating budget and/or maximum authorization of expenses per annum. There are also likely restrictions on a club accessing debt or capital without prior board approval.

So while Jerry has authority to approve the day to day operations of the club as CEO, and may have billions of dollars to his name, he can’t give Kenny/Hahn a blanket approval and sign/trade for Bauer, Springer, Cole, Darvish, Arenado and others resulting in say a $500M payroll in 2021, unless that amount was approved by the board prior to executing the contract.

Jerry could go back to the board for formal approval of an increase. The club would never give precise details publicly, but at times someone will leak an approximate budget amount to say someone whose name rhymes with Slob Martingale.

Hope that helps with your question.

Jerry can make any decision he wants and there is nothing his investors can do other than try to sell their shares, which he would have to approve. He has total control.. He has made them a ton of money while getting all the perks of owning a MLB team for 40 years. Also, the White Sox BoD keeps shrinking as partners die. They do not get replaced. There was a story in the Tribune 6 or 7 years ago detailing this. My dad, who is a lawyer told me about this back in the early 80s, and he was totally accurate. 

Edited by Dick Allen

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jerry can make any decision he wants and there is nothing his investors can do other than try to sell their shares, which he would have to approve. He has total control.. He has made them a ton of money while getting all the perks of owning a MLB team for 40 years. Also, the White Sox BoD keeps shrinking as partners die. They do not get replaced. There was a story in the Tribune 6 or 7 years ago detailing this. My dad, who is a lawyer told me about this back in the early 80s, and he was totally accurate. 

I would be really interested in reading the story referenced, couldn’t find it.

Beyond MLB ownership requirements and restrictions, it would be very unique agreement to allow the managing partner to do “anything he wanted” in terms of key partnership decisions, such as issuance of stock or debt, or departing from a board approved annual budget.

Jerry can wake up one day and say, “I’m going to hire my BFF Tony” to a current position in the organization. But it would be a rare partnership agreement to allow Jerry to run a large operating loss without prior board approval.

Jerry started out with 4% of shares, and I don’t believe his current % of ownership is publicly known. Even if Jerry wanted one more title “for the road”, I would suspect he could not unilaterally execute billions of dollars in player contracts (sign / acquire Trout, Machado, Harper, Tatis Jr., Freeman, Arenado, Cole, De Grom, Darvish, Kershaw, Yelich, Realmuto and more) even if he personally had the money or access to the money to do so and owned a majority of team shares.

18 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’ll be shocked if he signs with us seeming that there are other competitive teams who can offer more chance to have a rotation spot.

Or he thinks he can beat rodon out. I would take the bet that rodon becomes a better reliever than starter this season

Edited by EloyJenkins

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Or he thinks he can beat rodon out. I would take the bet that rodon becomes a better reliever than starter this season

He also might find us as the most competitive team and be drawn to that... or maybe he’s a lush drunk who wants to cheers TLR.

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And did those allegations come AFTER he whistleblew on the Astros for cheating? Would be curious timing for a rumor like that, eh?

They were much more than simple allegations. Look into it if you have a string stomach for douchebag assholes.

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would be really interested in reading the story referenced, couldn’t find it.

Beyond MLB ownership requirements and restrictions, it would be very unique agreement to allow the managing partner to do “anything he wanted” in terms of key partnership decisions, such as issuance of stock or debt, or departing from a board approved annual budget.

Jerry can wake up one day and say, “I’m going to hire my BFF Tony” to a current position in the organization. But it would be a rare partnership agreement to allow Jerry to run a large operating loss without prior board approval.

Jerry started out with 4% of shares, and I don’t believe his current % of ownership is publicly known. Even if Jerry wanted one more title “for the road”, I would suspect he could not unilaterally execute billions of dollars in player contracts (sign / acquire Trout, Machado, Harper, Tatis Jr., Freeman, Arenado, Cole, De Grom, Darvish, Kershaw, Yelich, Realmuto and more) even if he personally had the money or access to the money to do so and owned a majority of team shares.

Yes he could. They spoke to some of the other shareholders. JR has total control. If everyone wanted to sell but JR, they wouldn't get sold. Also, if JR were to die, his executor gets the same power he has.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/whitesox/ct-xpm-2013-07-28-ct-spt-0728-white-sox-chicago-sports-20130728-story.html

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1