FS: Top Prospects (Catchers)

Quin

• Quin pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I get people here don't like Yermin (because he can't field) but are we really putting Mendoza ahead of him at this point?  Is Mendoza actually that interesting and has Yermin fallen outside of our top 30?

Well I don't think any of us believe that Yermin can actually play catcher in the big leagues. He won't be in our top 30. It's tough to rank 27-year-old DH's 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well I don't think any of us believe that Yermin can actually play catcher in the big leagues. He won't be in our top 30. It's tough to rank 27-year-old DH's 

I agree he isn't a catcher.  Do you view Collins similarly? I also know virtually nothing about Mendoza.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Yermin could be the next Wayne Nordhagen. BTW that is a big compiment.

That's a great comparison. Nordhagen was a rookie at 27 and for the next 6 years put up pretty good numbers for the Sox. He didn't take many walks but his BA was .290 , 110 OPS+ and .761 SLG for his Sox time and had good pop. He was a DH/C . He even pitched 2 innings in 1979.

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I get people here don't like Yermin (because he can't field) but are we really putting Mendoza ahead of him at this point?  Is Mendoza actually that interesting and has Yermin fallen outside of our top 30?

You know how subjective rankings are. Any evaluator can rank a prospect who never makes it to the majors. Happens all the time. They rank on skills that include hitting and fielding for position players. The older a guy gets and the more he DH's that removes half his skillset that would get him ranked. I'm not sure if Future Sox ever had Yermin in their top 30. I think MLB .com ranked him purely on how well he hit in AAA when Robert was putting up the great numbers there to justify his ranking which had always been high based on skillset. He also had the big signing bonus .

Yermin had nothing on his side. Bounced around the low minors, independent ball. When no one believes in you coming from down that far purely based on hitting skills and some ability to catch is actually phenomenal. The younger guy will always get promoted before him. But he persevered. He stayed healthy and just kept knocking the cover off the ball until he got noticed.

I don't know how bad his catching is. The little we saw in the spring the last few years didn't look bad but it's too hard to tell with seeing so few innings. He's not a full time catcher but he could easily handle 3rd catcher and DH. I do remember he looked terrible at 3rd base but so did Vaughn and Vaughn didn't look so great at 1st base either. But Vaughn had the big college years, high draft choice, scouts raving about him as one of the best pure hitters in years. Yermin has done more as a hitter at higher levels then Vaughn but Vaughn is an MLB top 30 prospect and Yermin can't even make the Sox top 30.

Either one is highly over rated and the other highly under rated or perhaps a little bit of both if all they are is DH's.

47 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's a great comparison. Nordhagen was a rookie at 27 and for the next 6 years put up pretty good numbers for the Sox. He didn't take many walks but his BA was .290 , 110 OPS+ and .761 SLG for his Sox time and had good pop. He was a DH/C . He even pitched 2 innings in 1979.

I approve this message.

18 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Collins is a much better catcher than Yermin 

I believe Yermin & Collins is the WS plan until Vaughn is called up.  Allows for us to showcase Yermin for DH in the National League.  I would prefer Flowers as a backup catcher allowing Collins to catch every day.

• Quin unpinned this topic