BA Top 30

bmags

So we knew the top 10, 11-30 came out.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1026/chicago-white-sox/organizational/?year=2021&type=P#9766

Interesting names: Bailey horn at 24, Zack Collins at 27

And my favorite is just this scouting report dunking on Yolbert Sanchez, then realizing he's ranked higher than Collins lol:

SCOUTING REPORT: Sanchez reported to instructional league in Arizona and looked particularly rusty. Internal and external evaluators saw a player who'd gotten thicker during the shutdown, lacked an approach at the plate and showed a willingness to chase. Scouts also saw a player who will not be able to stick at shortstop because of below-average speed and fringy arm strength. The White Sox are optimistic he'll be able to regain some of what they saw when they signed him once he gets more consistent reps.

• Like 1

Wow, interesting Sheets write-up

SCOUTING REPORT: Sheets used the coronavirus shutdown to get in better shape, and the White Sox saw enough athleticism to try him in left field at instructional league. Outside scouts who saw him at the position believe it is a legitimate option. In the box, Sheets continued working to utilize his lower half more in his swing, and the results are some of the best exit velocities in the organization and a newfound ability to pull offspeed pitches with authority. He does better on pitches in the upper half of the zone, and working to do damage on pitches in all parts of the zone will be his next step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow, interesting Sheets write-up

SCOUTING REPORT: Sheets used the coronavirus shutdown to get in better shape, and the White Sox saw enough athleticism to try him in left field at instructional league. Outside scouts who saw him at the position believe it is a legitimate option. In the box, Sheets continued working to utilize his lower half more in his swing, and the results are some of the best exit velocities in the organization and a newfound ability to pull offspeed pitches with authority. He does better on pitches in the upper half of the zone, and working to do damage on pitches in all parts of the zone will be his next step.

Awesome. I assumed his OF stint was similar to "Andrew Vaughn is 3B/RF" or "Nick Madrigal is a SS" but glad to hear that it might actually be viable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1026/chicago-white-sox/organizational/?year=2021&type=P#9766

And my favorite is just this scouting report dunking on Yolbert Sanchez, then realizing he's ranked higher than Collins lol:

SCOUTING REPORT: Sanchez reported to instructional league in Arizona and looked particularly rusty. Internal and external evaluators saw a player who'd gotten thicker during the shutdown, lacked an approach at the plate and showed a willingness to chase. Scouts also saw a player who will not be able to stick at shortstop because of below-average speed and fringy arm strength. The White Sox are optimistic he'll be able to regain some of what they saw when they signed him once he gets more consistent reps.

Wow.  Ick.  

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Not to beat a dead horse.  Sanchez was such a waste of money.  Like many on this board have said why not sign a younger player with much more upside.  Smh. Anyway thanks for the link. Much appreciated 

Edited by Sox80

So just back to Kade McClure here. The write-up re-summarized what they had written previously, that he's now a mid-90s pitcher, but his secondaries aren't amazing but just average.

That said, their previous report said he was just super effective at getting outs.

This is where I'm hoping that despite stuff maybe not looking amazing, his 6'7 frame ends up creating more deception and ability to get outs than appears in a scouting report. I'm just hoping for a really big surprise somewhere in system because damn does it need one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Not to beat a dead horse.  Sanchez was such a waste of money.  Like many on this board have said why not sign a younger player with much more upside.  Smh. Anyway thanks for the link. Much appreciated 

It was super frustrating, but it's a confounding draft class to me.

I think I agree that it's likely sox had planned on some additional cubans to make the jump, but it was reversed by Trump admin. Sox may have had a bunch of extra budget at that point, the rest of players under previous agreements, so they just made sure they got Sanchez away from some teams in the previous year who still had money (orioles, etc).

And the other part of it is that class has some really interesting pieces, moreso than many previous years. Bailey is the obvious, but it plucked a very interesting year as a 16 year old with really great K rates. Veloz was 18, but has chance to fill out and dominated the DSL that year.

Christian Vera we'll see this year, along with Wilfred Veras. And then Tatis showed little, but keeps getting mentioned by sox. So maybe we'll find out this year that despite missing a real top 30 talent when we expected one, that it was a good class. I mean 2018 we had no idea would produce what it did, with Ramos and others.

• Like 2