NFL 2021 offseason thread

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Jesus 2 picks that I actually like?!?! What is this?!?!?!

Hahaha.  I know.  I don't know how to feel about this.

I LOVE Tevan Jenkins the player.  We need that kind of physicality and attitude on the OL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t disagree. I just worry about over investing in the offense with an aging defense with several holes. I feel like once we get a competent offense, the defense will then suck. Par the course of being a Bears fan. 

Pace has shown he is pretty good on the defensive side of the ball - so I'm okay wtih defense taking a slight step back in the short-term to address the offensive side of the ball. Its why I could live without addressing DB and going a bit more aggressive on the line/wideout and hope you can sign a cap casualty at DB later in the off-season (just a savy vet) and maybe some flyer picks. 

It isn't great - but at this point - when you take a big swing at QB - I feel like we should make sure we put the right pieces around him to help with his development/position him to succeed.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pace has shown he is pretty good on the defensive side of the ball - so I'm okay wtih defense taking a slight step back in the short-term to address the offensive side of the ball. Its why I could live without addressing DB and going a bit more aggressive on the line/wideout and hope you can sign a cap casualty at DB later in the off-season (just a savy vet) and maybe some flyer picks. 

It isn't great - but at this point - when you take a big swing at QB - I feel like we should make sure we put the right pieces around him to help with his development/position him to succeed.  

What's your opinion on Pace's philosophy of "premium talent" over quantity of picks? 

Wow - I know they don't have a ton of picks - but I commend them for not ignoring the line and ensuring they are putting the right parts around the line to position the squad for success. Hopefully he pans out and turns into an above average tackle for a long time.  This hit also helps because it is a position that tends to be more expensive (like QB - in the long run) - so its one of those spots where it is more tolerable to give up picks for cost controlled players as important positions.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's your opinion on Pace's philosophy of "premium talent" over quantity of picks? 

I think as long as he trades up for premium positions - I am on board. In the case of a young olineman - I'd say moving up for a guy you like at tackle - makes sense (cause tackles are expensive, even RT's in this day an age). IF you traded up for an ILB - yeah - I'm not going to like it.  Bottom line - I think Pace feels like you can get "just a guy" via free agency / vet type signings and with later rounds picks - so try to target more than a guy with your upper picks. 

I don't have an issue with this - I just wish he took a more balanced approach to restocking the cupboard from time to time - but drafting a QB high and getting a young tackle to go with some pretty young guards - could just be the move that gives Fields a really nice young foundational line - where they can all grow together.  

The lack of foles pick hurts, as they had to use the third. I wouldn’t have done it but it’s hard to know the grades. I have luxury of testing these tackles interchangeably. But that third is really tough to lose.

Obviously though, I often took teven Jenkins in the first round, so we did get two talents I love. But this fifth is doing a lot of work here

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The lack of foles pick hurts, as they had to use the third. I wouldn’t have done it but it’s hard to know the grades. I have luxury of testing these tackles interchangeably. But that third is really tough to lose.

Obviously though, I often took teven Jenkins in the first round, so we did get two talents I love. But this fifth is doing a lot of work here

I like the pick but their draft is basically done now with no 3 or 4. 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah - that foles move stunk than and it stinks now (I can say that cause I never liked it - and I think even Pace admitted pretty early on that he got stuck in a panic position and learned a lesson from it).  Dalton I could care less on - no one knew whether you'd get a QB in the draft or not - so when you know FOLES isn't the starter - you have to do something else to dampen the blow.

I do still think at some point you might be able to deal Foles or Dalton to another team, say they have a QB go down and need a better back-up, etc.  Not for a lot - but I imagine it is possible. But the good part is - next year the Bears cap position is going to look SO much different. 

A QB on a rookie deal - no ties to any veteran QB (so you can keep Dalton or Foles as a back-up but at a lower cost - if they want or you pivot another way) - you can cut ties with Leno (if your OT picked pans out).  You either franchise Robinson again or actually extend Robinson (my presumption is they either trade or extent him at some point over next year - if you extent - that is decent size cap savings).  Graham's cost goes away. 

All those things are huge POSITIVES & than if the cap goes up too - WOW - gamechanger. Its why I'm not worried about lack of a FRP next year - cause you can live with it when you project to have that type of cap space (not ideal - but doable).  And at that point - if offense trajectory is looking good - maybe Bears decide to aggressively look at retooling defense (Mack/Quan/etc - who knows).  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - that foles move stunk than and it stinks now (I can say that cause I never liked it - and I think even Pace admitted pretty early on that he got stuck in a panic position and learned a lesson from it).  Dalton I could care less on - no one knew whether you'd get a QB in the draft or not - so when you know FOLES isn't the starter - you have to do something else to dampen the blow.

I do still think at some point you might be able to deal Foles or Dalton to another team, say they have a QB go down and need a better back-up, etc.  Not for a lot - but I imagine it is possible. But the good part is - next year the Bears cap position is going to look SO much different. 

A QB on a rookie deal - no ties to any veteran QB (so you can keep Dalton or Foles as a back-up but at a lower cost - if they want or you pivot another way) - you can cut ties with Leno (if your OT picked pans out).  You either franchise Robinson again or actually extend Robinson (my presumption is they either trade or extent him at some point over next year - if you extent - that is decent size cap savings).  Graham's cost goes away. 

All those things are huge POSITIVES & than if the cap goes up too - WOW - gamechanger. Its why I'm not worried about lack of a FRP next year - cause you can live with it when you project to have that type of cap space (not ideal - but doable).  And at that point - if offense trajectory is looking good - maybe Bears decide to aggressively look at retooling defense (Mack/Quan/etc - who knows).  

When bridgewater gets nothing but a sixth though...

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

And radunz off board, so was definitely needed to move, but had they had a fourth they’d have been able to do it much easier

They would have picked at 52, so Radunz and Mayfield would have been on the board. I'd have been fine with either guy. 

I really believe you just cant make that trade after making the Fields move. Pace just cant get away from giving up picks. 

Maybe if for the last 5 years they stockpiled you can get away with a potential 2 man draft, but every year they are down picks. Its just not a winning strategy.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

When bridgewater gets nothing but a sixth though...

Yeah - I'm not saying it will be much. I also assume his contract was harder - but I might be wrong.  Either way - probably pretty unlikely, but your never know what happens in training camp somewhere.  Feels like at this point - as long as both are good mentors and help Fields and provide the right context - it should be a great QB room.  

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They would have picked at 52, so Radunz and Mayfield would have been on the board. I'd have been fine with either guy. 

Mayfield is considered a guard. Of course you will romanticize whomever bears don’t pick.

Just now, bmags said:

Mayfield is considered a guard. Of course you will romanticize whomever bears don’t pick.

No, I really like the Jenkins pick and would have been happy with him at 20, but Pace just keeps trading away draft picks like they're shitty football cards and that's annoying. You don't win that way. Football is a young man's game. 

I would have been good with Jenkins at 20, so two first round picks essentially this year at key positions is pretty great.

team has all sorts of holes to fill still but love what we did pick.  

Do we trade a future pick to get back in if someone falls that they love?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigruss said:

I would have been good with Jenkins at 20, so two first round picks essentially this year at key positions is pretty great.

team has all sorts of holes to fill still but love what we did pick.  

Do we trade a future pick to get back in if someone falls that they love?

No, the only thing the bears can do right now is trade players for picks or trade late picks back for next year picks.

Im not sure Foles can get a 7th, but id take a next year pick. Need to get a jump on more for next year.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I really like the Jenkins pick and would have been happy with him at 20, but Pace just keeps trading away draft picks like they're shitty football cards and that's annoying. You don't win that way. Football is a young man's game. 

Fine - They found Mustipher and Bars.  I'm not saying Bars is great - but he's a solid depth guy and Mustipher looks solid. Both UDA. He's also found some good later round picks.  They also resigned some vets to cheaper deals to fill roster space - so kind of bought time. I get it - cause I like picks - but investing a couple picks to get a really nice value tackle and obviously a QB who in years we might look back as the best pick in the draft - yeah I am good.  

There is zero physical limitation that could get in the way of Fields being legit - he may bust - but they got a guy with tons of upside and I also think that athleticism gives him a decent floor too.  

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

No, the only thing the bears can do right now is trade players for picks or trade late picks back for next year picks.

Im not sure Foles can get a 7th, but id take a next year pick. Need to get a jump on more for next year.

I think it’s likely they use their sixths to move into fourth but yes it would be nice if Miller/backup QB have value enough for more sixths