So maybe we don’t need another reliable starter after all

Sticky Stuff

This obviously will cause a drop in offense, but the bigger concern regarding the pitching isn’t guys getting shelled or failing to go 6, it’s the worry that many of these guys will have difficulty adjusting back to a 162 game grind coming off a 60 game season or not even pitching at all (i.e. Kopech). There’s a high likelihood we may see an increase in injuries because of this.

Edit: As far as a summary, I’d expect a decrease in slugging and HR’s potentially by a decent amount. Seems like the ball will be less bouncy than years past. They use some data from Korea when they changed the ball as a comparison. It’s a good read.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

overall a deadened ball kinda sucks but I think the Sox benefit slightly from it compared to most teams 

Yeah, from a home run distance standpoint, Jimenez, Robert, Grandal, etc. aren't hitting wall-scrapers. I think this hurts the guys who popped up in 2019 with newfound power strokes more than anything

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, from a home run distance standpoint, Jimenez, Robert, Grandal, etc. aren't hitting wall-scrapers. I think this hurts the guys who popped up in 2019 with newfound power strokes more than anything

Funny thing is Eloy seemed to hit the cheapest homers on the team last year 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

True, his average HR distance fell from 409 feet in 2019 to 393 feet in 2020. Either way, I'm not too concerned about this change with him

Yeah it’s more he just hits a lot of line drives to right that sneak over. As you said, I’m not concerned either.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

A return to less exciting games?

Bit of a different topic, but exciting doesn't just mean home runs in baseball.

Problem with the excitement in baseball is we have outcomes of : Strikeout, walk, or home run. 

We need more action with hits, line outs, fly outs, hard grounders. 

18 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Problem with the excitement in baseball is we have outcomes of : Strikeout, walk, or home run. 

So people who currently aren't a fan of baseball or are on the bubble, would rather see some more hard ground outs and flyouts than home runs?  Okay, Manfred.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Deadening the ball isn't going to make people want to walk less, or make pitchers stop being unhittable mutants. 

• Fire 1

The part of this extended search for a #4, #5 guys is something which has left me a little confused as to why. I completely understand the desire to get 4 studs with an ERA of under 4 in the rotation. But some of the candidates mentioned in deals haven't been that in awhile, like Quintana. Cease and Kopech easlily project to be pitchers with reasonable ERAs for # 4, 5 starters. Hell ,even Rodon. Who else  around the league at a reasonable price can be penciled in projecting better raw stats among all the pitchers mentioned? Certainly we may have to bridge to get to Koppech later in the season. But I don't see the need to look around past those 2.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:48 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

The deadening of the ball is for everyone, not just to the benefit of the CWS. Makes no difference on our rotation comparatively to others. 

But yeah, this is an interesting topic. 

Indeed. I don't know how it was supposed to affect us differently, but we do have a fair amount of pitchers that would rather miss bats than pitch to contact. Cease could benefit though with his homer issues. Anyway, the league should not be deadening the ball in a world of shrinking revenues.

53 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

The part of this extended search for a #4, #5 guys is something which has left me a little confused as to why. I completely understand the desire to get 4 studs with an ERA of under 4 in the rotation. But some of the candidates mentioned in deals haven't been that in awhile, like Quintana. Cease and Kopech easlily project to be pitchers with reasonable ERAs for # 4, 5 starters. Hell ,even Rodon. Who else  around the league at a reasonable price can be penciled in projecting better raw stats among all the pitchers mentioned? Certainly we may have to bridge to get to Koppech later in the season. But I don't see the need to look around past those 2.

Sure Rodon has decent numbers when he's healthy.  But his long unreliable history with injuries is the issue. He's the org's #1 hope for defense against rotation problems and there's a lot that could go wrong.  After him, who's next?  Lopez?  Its ridiculous! 

image.png