Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, we won't be pitching Mike Wright in the regular season.

While pre-season scores and stats don’t matter there have been some things that have made me nervous. How many innings did we go without scoring a run? And that’s with starters and against a lot of lefties. And it seems a lot of our pitchers seem to be walking a bunch of hitters. Thankfully it is spring training and we have time to figure it out. But there is reason to be concerned.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

1 win and 9 non wins. Last place here we come. Congrats in advance to the resurgent Royals. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Well, we won't be pitching Mike Wright in the regular season.

I understand the circumstances behind the record. I still don't like it.

58 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

While pre-season scores and stats don’t matter there have been some things that have made me nervous. How many innings did we go without scoring a run? And that’s with starters and against a lot of lefties. And it seems a lot of our pitchers seem to be walking a bunch of hitters. Thankfully it is spring training and we have time to figure it out. But there is reason to be concerned.

Just eat a good lunch today and you’ll feel better.  Sox are gonna be super good this year.  Rejoice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I understand the circumstances behind the record. I still don't like it.

None of us do. But it's best we make fun of it so that doubt doesn't start to creep into our minds prematurely. Hell, when the year starts we may even be 20 and 19 after 39 games. It may be tough, but we must always remember great teams find a way to finish seasons at the top. 

2 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

There is no continuity to our lineup yet. Once everyone is back and settles into roles things will be different. If guys get on base we will have a lot if chances to score this year. Giolito and Lynn have looked good for the most part. 

2 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Literally none of this matters. Injuries are the only thing one should worry about in spring. Most vets are working on specific things they may feel needs work/improvement.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Only three of our regular starters have pitched:  Lance Lynn, Gio and Reylo 

11.2 innings pitched

3 hits

1 run

15 strikeouts.  

Only four actual relief pitchers: Kopech, Crochet, Heuer and Marshall:

7 innings pitched

4 hits

0 runs

8 strikeouts.  

So of the guys that matter they have pitched two complete games averaged 3.5 hits per game, .5 runs and 12 strikeouts.  Stop worrying.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

None of us do. But it's best we make fun of it so that doubt doesn't start to creep into our minds prematurely. Hell, when the year starts we may even be 20 and 19 after 39 games. It may be tough, but we must always remember great teams find a way to finish seasons at the top. 

When I remember the 05 astros and the 19 nationals and how their seasons started that always reminds me that anything is possible

59 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I'm not concerned in the least. The only thing that bothers me is the only reason I view the games is the entertainment value of them is higher when I see the Sox win and score a lot of runs and guys from the eventual 26 pitching doing well it's more entertaining.

• Like 1

Good first half of a segment between Laurence Holmes and Steve Stone to start his show (look for first hour in the archives in the first hour).

• Len Kasper and Steve Stone will broadcast on TV Saturday March 13
  • The effectiveness of Lance Lynn's three different fastballs 
  • Discussed Micheal Kopech's Transition to the Bullpen, and the different focus of a reliever vs. starting.
  • Dylan Cease's Development
  • Issues between Robert and Eloy in the field (Steve says Robert should take everything he can get to and call of, Eloy needs to back off - not sure if I totally agree with this take).
  • Reasons for optimism this season.

56 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Only three of our regular starters have pitched:  Lance Lynn, Gio and Reylo 

11.2 innings pitched

3 hits

1 run

15 strikeouts.  

Only four actual relief pitchers: Kopech, Crochet, Heuer and Marshall:

7 innings pitched

4 hits

0 runs

8 strikeouts.  

So of the guys that matter they have pitched two complete games averaged 3.5 hits per game, .5 runs and 12 strikeouts.  Stop worrying.

And just for fun (warning Cherry picking season)...the hitters that will likely be on the team and we should have some concern about.  That means eliminating the Abreu's/Tim Anderson/Grandal/Jiminez group that are veterans that spring training really doesn't matter, the back ups that their hitting doesn't really matter Mendick/Leury/Engel and all the young guys that won't make the team...that leaves us with the guys that either are young unproven or like Eaton--old and some concern of fading skills.  That group is Robert, Moncada, Vaughn, Collins (Sorry I think he's making the team), Madrigal, Eaton.  Those six guys are slashing .300/.412/.471.   Mostly the bad offensive results are a lot of the young that are not showing well (Adolfo) or that core of vets that honestly...why would they try.  The guys we should care about are actually doing pretty well.   

30 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I think I could watch Katz work with our pitchers for hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfnCusOOy4&ab_channel=ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks for posting. Nice to hear from an open minded White Sox pitching coach this millennium.

2:00 Mark Ethan talking to bullpen catcher and Lopez:

"So the curveball, he (Lopez) threw it with the Nationals. That's his best secondary pitch. He came here (pause, head shake) he dropped it. So the curveball is coming back into the picture this year. So, its not brand new, but it's been awhile. So, it's back in the picture. And getting him to re-acclimate that is kind of different.....