Fans at opening day? Fans at Opening Day! (confirmed)

Buehrle>Wood

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are going to be fans on opening day. But they aren't going to say there are going to be fans until there is an agreement in place. The sox also have a bit more leeway since they start season on a 7 game road trip. Biggest issue is going to be training vendors, who are always pretty terrible to start season.

If I was food vendor I would simplify menu to start season, launch the weird stuff in June.

I'm pretty optimistic this is true, and I agree that they won't say anything until agreements have been reached between the teams and the city, state, etc.  And to your point about concessions, that certainly could be an issue.  Limited attendance, scaled down options, and well-trained vendors will help ensure things run smoothly.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I'm pretty optimistic this is true, and I agree that they won't say anything until agreements have been reached between the teams and the city, state, etc.  And to your point about concessions, that certainly could be an issue.  Limited attendance, scaled down options, and well-trained vendors will help ensure things run smoothly.

I almost wonder if you just plan on aisle vendors? Keep people in their seats. I think baseball is one of the biggest no brainers for fans, I just think it being outdoors, easier to keep attendance in check while it still making sense to have fans, and less of a "scream to make noise" event.

But the only place I really worry about are bathrooms and the kitchens/gate vendors. If sox have really improved ventilation/air filtration then I honestly think the mayor/governor are just dealing with how knee jerk people (themselves included) are about people gathering in large numbers on tv even though this is much safer than the 50% indoor capacity and bars being allowed open until 1 am.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soxfan18 said:

She's totally in over her head. The city's pandemic response has been dreadful.    

Fair enough but if you look at past mayoral races and how often people win re-election, I don’t see how she will lose this time around.

13 hours ago, pcq said:

If the mayor says sometime that is not opening day. 000

But it's not NOT opening day.  No one is going to say, "Yes there will be fans in the stands on opening day" right now because it's still too early.  Positivity rates are dropping, vaccination rate are climbing, so things are looking up.  If things continue to improve, I would not be surprised if very limited attendance is allowed on opening day.  But, we won't hear anything, one way or the other, for a few weeks.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

But it's not NOT opening day.  No one is going to say, "Yes there will be fans in the stands on opening day" right now because it's still too early.  Positivity rates are dropping, vaccination rate are climbing, so things are looking up.  If things continue to improve, I would not be surprised if very limited attendance is allowed on opening day.  But, we won't hear anything, one way or the other, for a few weeks.

Planning and discussions for large scale openings like schools or for what we are discussing are planned well before an opening.

COVID cases could drop and stay at zero, and it would still take substantial time for all the relevant operations (stadium personnel, CPD, IDOT, CTA, food / beverage / merchandise) to get organized, have personnel trained, uniformed and available, have items delivered and staged, etc.

It’s a lot more involved than what people are discussing here. The City and Sports teams would have substantial discussions in terms of allowable operations, and it wouldn’t be until full agreement before teams can begin ramping up planning for opening up stadium operations. 

It’s why the August 1 date both mentioned on the Score last month, and the usher letter noted above is the most realistic expectation fans should have.

Not saying it takes five months to get things ramped up, but it’s not going to be seemingly light switch flip for other reopening pronouncements for small independent bars and restaurants which require a shorter lead time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Planning and discussions for large scale openings like schools or for what we are discussing are planned well before an opening.

COVID cases could drop and stay at zero, and it would still take substantial time for all the relevant operations (stadium personnel, CPD, IDOT, CTA, food / beverage / merchandise) to get organized, have personnel trained, uniformed and available, have items delivered and staged, etc.

It’s a lot more involved than what people are discussing here. The City and Sports teams would have substantial discussions in terms of allowable operations, and it wouldn’t be until full agreement before teams can begin ramping up planning for opening up stadium operations. 

It’s why the August 1 date both mentioned on the Score last month, and the usher letter noted above is the most realistic expectation fans should have.

Not saying it takes five months to get things ramped up, but it’s not going to be seemingly light switch flip for other reopening pronouncements for small independent bars and restaurants which require a shorter lead time.

They are being planned for.

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Teams are planning now and would most likely be ready to allow fans by opening day.  They're not going to wait until the city/state to say it's okay before making plans.  The August 1 date is probably realistic for full or nearly full attendance IF we have herd immunity by then.

Some NBA and NHL teams have begun allowing fans, and these are smaller, indoor venues.  I only know about the Pittsburgh Penguins because I follow them, but officials notified them they could allow fans (18%), and they started selling tickets yesterday for games starting today.  The team had been planning for the allowance of fans and was able to get the ball rolling immediately.  I'm certain the Sox and Cubs (and all MLB teams) are ready.

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Seemingly every restaurant in the city will be slammed this weekend.

I think there will be at least 5k, hopefully 15 in the stadium on opening day.  

When I went to the Pacers game there was only 2k allowed.. And that's Indiana.  I hope lots more than that!

18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

When I went to the Pacers game there was only 2k allowed.. And that's Indiana.  I hope lots more than that!

Indoor will be a little different but yeah I would bet it will start slow with maybe 5k-8k

• Like 2

Brewers are going to allow 25% capacity on opening day.  I expect more and more teams to start announcing that they will be allowing fans.  I still wouldn't expect the Sox or Cubs to announce anything for a couple weeks.

14 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Brewers are going to allow 25% capacity on opening day.  I expect more and more teams to start announcing that they will be allowing fans.  I still wouldn't expect the Sox or Cubs to announce anything for a couple weeks.

My gut belief not backed up by anything real is they have a deal but are waiting for more vaccine availability coming soon to avoid a "you are opening up sports while teachers still can't get vaccines?" story even though it is unrelated this is outdoors and is not real. Schools have an agreement, Reinsdorf just gave the UC to vaccines, crapton more vaccines open up today/next week -> now city announces deal where sports can reopen.

8 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Cardinals are allowing 32% capacity on opening day.  That's encouraging.

Missouri is ran very differently than this state. If there is a state that can screw this up, it's ours.

1 hour ago, jasonxctf said:

lets hope the peer pressure of other cities allowing fans, works here.

there's zero reason to not allow as many people in the ballpark on opening day, as are allowed into Water Tower Place on the same day. 

Didn't help with football. Lori said the Bears didn't communicate well enough with her. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Sox games are probably going to be a tough ticket to get this season with the hype of the team and people missing evenings at the ballpark.  Not sure what the season ticket deal is this season, but if you've got them, you're going to probably make absolute BANK on the aftermarket sales this season.

15 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Teams are planning now and would most likely be ready to allow fans by opening day.  They're not going to wait until the city/state to say it's okay before making plans.  The August 1 date is probably realistic for full or nearly full attendance IF we have herd immunity by then.

Some NBA and NHL teams have begun allowing fans, and these are smaller, indoor venues.  I only know about the Pittsburgh Penguins because I follow them, but officials notified them they could allow fans (18%), and they started selling tickets yesterday for games starting today.  The team had been planning for the allowance of fans and was able to get the ball rolling immediately.  I'm certain the Sox and Cubs (and all MLB teams) are ready.

Will the White Sox also be as ready as the Pittsburgh Penguins were to photoshop masks onto fans that don't comply?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9327483/Pittsburgh-Penguins-fire-photoshopping-masks-fans-faces.html

40056018-9327483-SPOT_THE_DIFFERENCE_In_

40056020-9327483-The_scandal_first_unfol

40056006-9327483-image-a-25_161489689590

• Haha 1

• bmags locked this topic