Special Offer Today Only - The Athletic

hi8is

I had the athletic before when they had a July 4th sale.  It was $14.40 then for 1 year and maybe slightly more.  That's a great price also, but I didn't think it was worth the regular price.  But that's just me.  I like about 1 of every 5 or 6 Sox articles as being especially informational, and read a bit about the Bulls here and there, but that's it.  Definitely it pays to watch out for the sales.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Actually that ridiculously low pricing makes me worried about their financial situation. 

they have access to private funds and it shows.  their vision is long term, to be something as profitable as Bar Stool, except for adults.  they will gladly take some quarterly losses to gain eyeballs and attract more top writing talent.  their writers are good man.  like in a world of online writing that is just crap, even at places like SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, you name it, even fan blogs, good ones, don't come close to the writing quality at the Athletic.  Feagan is a blessing for Sox fans.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

they have access to private funds and it shows.  their vision is long term, to be something as profitable as Bar Stool, except for adults.  they will gladly take some quarterly losses to gain eyeballs and attract more top writing talent.  their writers are good man.  like in a world of online writing that is just crap, even at places like SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, you name it, even fan blogs, good ones, don't come close to the writing quality at the Athletic.  Feagan is a blessing for Sox fans.

Having just about 30 hours of access, the writing I’ve encountered is a lot more detailed and informative than what you’ll find on team websites or from the local papers.

Family subscribed to the Chicago Daily News and after they shuttered, the Sun Times until Murdoch purchased and Royko left. Not a suburbanite, so Chicago Tribune largely irrelevant.

Since then, the Chicago Reader and purchases of The National in the early 90s have been it in terms of local media and sports coverage. Definitely worth 3 cents a day. And for folks who wager, they offer daily gambling coverage with solid analysis.

6 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Actually that ridiculously low pricing makes me worried about their financial situation. 

This is  unrelated as a comparison, but similar in a way. Way back in the last century, Bally’s had a ridiculous gym membership offer for $7 a month which I gladly signed up for but never used. A great deal, for Bally’s. Which is the thinking. Few people really use their gym membership lol. May as well offer it for $3 a month. Free money. Which is also similar to life insurance. People buy it, but most eventually stop paying for it somewhere along the line. So the insurance company doesn’t have a bunch of  people that actually cash in. Free money.  But anyway TA will be best served if they don’t drive a hard bargain on price to drive buyers out of the market. Even if they offer it for a dollar a month to as many people as possible. Its not like it increases their overhead to give out more subscriptions. A very lucrative move. A dollar a month.