3/18 vs Royals, 3:05

flavum

52 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Apparently sharper than any of Dallas' pitches his past two appearances.

How about hitting the ball out of the infield at all, not 3000 times but 300 times, of the course of your career?  

The worst part of trading Tatis Jr for the ghost of James Shields is the unbelievable downgrade from TA and Tatis Jr up the middle to TA and Madrigal.  Holy shit what a massive unbelievable downgrade that is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Andrew Vaughn gives me the warm and fuzzies

I think Heuer is pretty nice too

Just wondering, but why is Marshall seeming to get more love than Heuer around some parts?  It's pretty clear that Heuer was the top RHRP before Hendriks, and he is the kind of talent who can take that title away from Hendriks pretty quickly if Hendriks doesn't maintain his dominance.  Heuer is just awesome, a total joy to watch.  

The current Sox pen reminds me a bit of 2003 IIRC with Flash Gordon and Damaso Marte, and then that period where we had Thornton, Sale, Sergio Santos, and JJ Putz back there.  The Sox back end is ferocious this year.

16 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

How about hitting the ball out of the infield at all, not 3000 times but 300 times, of the course of your career?  

The worst part of trading Tatis Jr for the ghost of James Shields is the unbelievable downgrade from TA and Tatis Jr up the middle to TA and Madrigal.  Holy shit what a massive unbelievable downgrade that is.

I'll add one more, to the category of "Things No Person Has Ever Said, Ever:"

"Nick Madrigal is the kind of physical specimen and accomplished hitter whose offensive profile can expect to hold the line or only gradually diminish as he ages and becomes less physically capable."

A list of the 3000 hits club is a list of guys who have a whole of lot of things Nick Madrigal doesn't have *now* as a young guy and certainly isn't going to have 10 years from now.  Back when he was drafted, before I ever saw him, I was optimistic based on what I'd read people say about him.  I thought maybe he could become a 15-20 HR guy.  If Madrigal is a 15-20 HR guy then Leury is good for 25 per year, and Eduardo Escobar is probably hitting 50.  Whatever you have to do to the bats and baseballs to make that happen, that's what needs to happen for him to get to that point.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

"Nick Madrigal is the kind of physical specimen and accomplished hitter whose offensive profile can expect to hold the line or only gradually diminish as he ages and becomes less physically capable."

A list of the 3000 hits club is a list of guys who have a whole of lot of things Nick Madrigal doesn't have *now* as a young guy and certainly isn't going to have 10 years from now.  Back when he was drafted, before I ever saw him, I was optimistic based on what I'd read people say about him.  I thought maybe he could become a 15-20 HR guy.  If Madrigal is a 15-20 HR guy then Leury is good for 25 per year, and Eduardo Escobar is probably hitting 50.  Whatever you have to do to the bats and baseballs to make that happen, that's what needs to happen for him to get to that point.  

Dustin Pedroia, ss, Arizona State University (2004)
SCOUTING REPORT:
 Pedroia's tools are below-average across the board, but scouts say don't ever sell him short. He will be a big leaguer, and probably an everyday player. He's not physically gifted at 5-foot-9 and 165 pounds, but Pedroia is a classic overachiever and possibly the best player in college baseball. He has a tireless work ethic, an exceptional sense of the game and a tremendous on-field presence. No player is as hard-nosed or competitive, and he is without peer as a team leader. He's a blood-and-guts player who thrives under pressure and makes everyone around him play better. Scouts question whether he can be an everyday shortstop on an upper-division team because his arm and range are short, but he catches almost everything hit at him. He has very sure hands, a quick release and excellent hand-eye coordination, and is adept at cheating and anticipating plays. He doesn't profile any better as a second baseman than a shortstop, because more offense is demanded at second. While he leads the Sun Devils with a .412 average and eight home runs, he doesn't have a pretty swing and is mainly a slap hitter. But he has good strike-zone judgment and is a tough out. Among current big leaguers, he compares to Angels shortstop David Eckstein. On raw tools, Pedroia is not a conventional high-round pick but he's a perfect fit for a performance-based organization like the A's, who have four of the first 40 picks.
--ALLAN SIMPSON (written May, 2004)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

No one thought he was a 15-20 HR guy....  Ever.. The most optomistic people were hoping for 5-10.  

14 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Presumably Madrigal will provide plus defense and OBP and preserve most of the massive unbelievable  $340 million 14-year contract that Tatis Jr. was given.

Madrigal does not have to hit home runs, especially with the line-up we have. He just needs to play good defense and get on base.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic