The Jarred Kelenic Appreciation Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

I have to cheer for Midwest kids.

Hot take:  he will be the next Jeremy Reed

Real take:  Great fortune that the Mariners suddenly have four of the most interesting OFers while Haniger is still rostered...good newsfor the playoff-less franchise fans to have hope again (compared to, say, Detroit.)  M’s fans are or were some of the best in the game.

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That should count for two.  :o

Then we should add one for Tatis since one of his was robbed by one of the best catches of the season by Rojas.

Just kidding.

Tonight, against OAK so far...2/3, RBI

Now at 614/.182   (2 homers, 5 RBI's).   At least he's outhitting Leury???

27 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Thank God the Sox took Madrigal 

The guy taken right behind Nick -- Jonathan India -- looks like a good player as well.  Sox did well with their pick as did Cinci.  Jury is still out on Kelenic and I think his FV has already taken a bit hit because he's a mediocre corner OF at best.  There's no way he's ever a CF and he has a long way to go to get to good in a corner as well.  His routes are really bad.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The guy taken right behind Nick -- Jonathan India -- looks like a good player as well.  Sox did well with their pick as did Cinci.  Jury is still out on Kelenic and I think his FV has already taken a bit hit because he's a mediocre corner OF at best.  There's no way he's ever a CF and he has a long way to go to get to good in a corner as well.  His routes are really bad.

I remember saying that I was positive that someone with a higher ceiling would be taken behind Nick, and would end up being a better player in the long term.  But what we knew with Nick was that he was about as good of a bet at finding someone to be a 10 year starter as existed in that draft that we could have selected.  The hard part was finding which guy that was, and then getting them developed and contributing.  Plus Nick is already a contributing starter on a playoff caliber team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I remember saying that I was positive that someone with a higher ceiling would be taken behind Nick, and would end up being a better player in the long term.  But what we knew with Nick was that he was about as good of a bet at finding someone to be a 10 year starter as existed in that draft that we could have selected.  The hard part was finding which guy that was, and then getting them developed and contributing.  Plus Nick is already a contributing starter on a playoff caliber team.

It was probably the one time out of 100 it made sense to draft for need.  sox needed a plug and play 2B for the contention window, nick fit the bill.

I am super thrilled with how Nick has played this year.

But, I feel reasonably convinced that had we drafted Kelenic he would be playing for a different org right now but we'd have a pretty amazing player in return. Not like the mets.

• Fire 1