The Jarred Kelenic Appreciation Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

We can go back to hating Tatis, Jr., on June 7th...

That is if he doesn't do something else that's patently asinine.

Tough tough year for rookies to break in with offense down across the board.   I guess Torkelson's hanging in there as well as anyone for now.

At some point in late May or early June, Kelenic will lose even more playing time to Kyle Lewis (probably send to AAA again).

Not sure how Taylor Trammell's doing (his other competition), but my guess is the offense is more Lewis Brinson than Luis Robert.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

23 games in, call it.  

The Mariners won way too many one run games last year.

Winker and Suarez do help, but they really needed all their young outfielders to be major contributors in the first half in order to have a fighting chance.  

Finally, buying Cy Young award winners like Ray at peak value usually doesn’t work out well in the end unless those aforementioned winners are consistently great year after year after year…

7 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

@Harold's Leg Lift Should I trade for him in my Dynasty League?  I could get him very cheaply..

You might as well wait a couple weeks. He'll be sent down and I'd imagine his owner would be even more motivated then. There's still like a 1/3 chance he develops into a productive regular but the chances are now higher he's just a 4th OF or borderline regular. Wouldn't surprise me to see him bounce between AAA and the majors for a couple years until figuring something out around age 26-27. If the world is still spinning in 2025 maybe he's a useful fantasy player then.

I mean, look at this. You could pull up random A ballers and they would hit better than this:

FR3JwzgUYAAptUG?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by chitownsportsfan

52 minutes ago, Quin said:

A Madrigalian OPS.

Is that like a Mandalorian?

Fwiw, Jose Rodriguez seems like he's coming out of his struggles a bit, OPS was up to a "brisk" 632 with still too many strikeouts but much better the last 7-10 days.

Almost every young hitter, Witt, Jr./Torkelson/J-Rod/Abrams REALLY struggling out of the gate but making some forward progress.  Abrams definitely belongs in AA/AAA with the amount of at-bats he's had as a high school kid with lots of injury time...but no choice when they pushed Frazier out to SEA and lost their starting SS whose name we won't bring up yet this season.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Is that like a Mandalorian?

Fwiw, Jose Rodriguez seems like he's coming out of his struggles a bit, OPS was up to a "brisk" 632 with still too many strikeouts but much better the last 7-10 days.

Almost every young hitter, Witt, Jr./Torkelson/J-Rod/Abrams REALLY struggling out of the gate but making some forward progress.  Abrams definitely belongs in AA/AAA with the amount of at-bats he's had as a high school kid with lots of injury time...but no choice when they pushed Frazier out to SEA and lost their starting SS whose name we won't bring up yet this season.

Kelenic with a terrible AB to finish a bad night for Seattle. Don't think they have scored in like 20 innings now. Things change fast this time of year as we saw with the Sox. Mariners were in 1st a week ago now they are back to .500 at 12-12, reeling on a 5 game losing streak.

Rodriguez is a natural CF and has insane raw power. I like him a lot more than Kelenic. Kelenic as I've said is a guy that look like Tarzan but plays like Jane. 6-2, 205lbs, chiseled, but can't hit for shit and doesn't take great routes either. That said, Kelenic has played an awesome OF so far. 

Statcast ranks for Kelenic, lines up almost perfectly with the eye test. Sucks at everything except getting jumps so far and making plays in the OF. 53rd percentile for sprint speed. Average MLB caliber athlete.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jarred-kelenic-672284?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kelenic with a terrible AB to finish a bad night for Seattle. Don't think they have scored in like 20 innings now. Things change fast this time of year as we saw with the Sox. Mariners were in 1st a week ago now they are back to .500 at 12-12, reeling on a 5 game losing streak.

Rodriguez is a natural CF and has insane raw power. I like him a lot more than Kelenic. Kelenic as I've said is a guy that look like Tarzan but plays like Jane. 6-2, 205lbs, chiseled, but can't hit for shit and doesn't take great routes either. That said, Kelenic has played an awesome OF so far. 

Statcast ranks for Kelenic, lines up almost perfectly with the eye test. Sucks at everything except getting jumps so far and making plays in the OF. 53rd percentile for sprint speed. Average MLB caliber athlete.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jarred-kelenic-672284?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

This was always going to be the issue with Kelenic.  If he couldn't hold down CF, he was going to have to be more of a masher on the corners.   I'm not sure how much I believe of this exceedingly glowing scouting report, but they've already got Rodriguez, Lewis (back in June) and Taylor Trammell who are better in CF.

Physical Description: Strong, sturdy, muscled build. Thick lower half, broad shoulders and barrel chested. Physique is matured and optimized.    LOL

Found a Kelenic is NOT Dustin Ackley article, even.

Field: Above average defender with impressive instincts and effort/hustle; strong routes and reactions in the outfield; good range in center, may be forced into a corner if the body slows down - should be able to stick in centerfield into him prime. Ranges to his left and to his right; tracks the ball well back to infield; fluid motions and could dissolve if he puts on too much more muscle mass. Reliable, above average defender in center, likely a plus defender in either corner. Grade: 55

Arm: Shows very good arm strength, throws line drives into the infield and to home that lack much tail or extra carry. One of the quicker catch-to-release mechanics I have seen. Incredibly quick to get rid of the ball. Capable of gunning down an advancing runner. A definitive asset in centerfield, would fit well in right field Grade: 60

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/jarred-kelenic

• Like 1

I know it has been a little while since anyone has done it, but can we stop with the Julio Rodriguez slander by comparing him to the failure Jarred Kelenic?

First 12 games: .136/.208/.159, -0.1 fWAR
Since: .339/.397/.484, 1.0 fWAR (tied for 8th among position players)

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TomPickle said:

I know it has been a little while since anyone has done it, but can we stop with the Julio Rodriguez slander by comparing him to the failure Jarred Kelenic?

First 12 games: .136/.208/.159, -0.1 fWAR
Since: .339/.397/.484, 1.0 fWAR (tied for 8th among position players)

No rookies are having an easy time this year...especially the most inexperienced ones.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Back down to .140 again.  Unsustainable for anyone not named Yasmani Grandal, mid 2021 version.

career slash line in 473 PA is now 173/256/338 for a 70 wRC+ and -.2 fWAR. Fangraphs has him with a hot glove to start this year (2.6 runs above average) but when you're hitting 140, well, that's Billy Hamilton or something.

He'll be sent down as soon as Lewis is up. The Mariners aren't doing him any favors basically using him as a platoon PH/defense guy right now. He needs everyday AB and the Mariners are going nowhere fast (as I predicted) so just let him get every day ABs in Seattle until Lewis is back then send him down and tell him maybe see him in September back in Seattle. 

He's still stupid young (won't be 23 until August) so there's hope in development at least.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

career slash line in 473 PA is now 173/256/338 for a 70 wRC+ and -.2 fWAR. Fangraphs has him with a hot glove to start this year (2.6 runs above average) but when you're hitting 140, well, that's Billy Hamilton or something.

He'll be sent down as soon as Lewis is up. The Mariners aren't doing him any favors basically using him as a platoon PH/defense guy right now. He needs everyday AB and the Mariners are going nowhere fast (as I predicted) so just let him get every day ABs in Seattle until Lewis is back then send him down and tell him maybe see him in September back in Seattle. 

He's still stupid young (won't be 23 until August) so there's hope in development at least.

Ray is going to turn into a pretty significant bust by the end of his deal, it seems.