The Jarred Kelenic Appreciation Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Mariners are the west coast White Sox, so many parallels. Kelenic has like 10k in his last 20AB, down to a 131 wRC+, 1.5 fWAR. Regression is a b****, same for Julio.

He shouldn’t have broken that chair 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The Mariners fall 10-3 in SD to go to 30-31. Kelenic over his last month: 221/291/383 with 39K to 9BB.

Hide contents

il_fullxfull.2392448596_ev5w.jpg

That looks like the profile of the average White Sox hitter outside of Burger and Robert this year. 

Although Robert's Ks fit right in. 

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That looks like the profile of the average White Sox hitter outside of Burger and Robert this year. 

Although Robert's Ks fit right in. 

It's an odd profile. Strikes out 33% of the time, walks like 8.5%, swings at pitches in the zone 69% of the time, outside zone is a decent 32%.  Robert is over 40% ozone and over 70% in it.

Kelenic's hard hit percentage is 48% and that's really good, I have no idea if that means anything. I'm sure there's some research out there on if hard hit % is an uptick in true talent or is just a "hot streak" after 50-60 games.

He's still on pace for like a 3.5 fWAR season, so overall doing good, but he's been stuck on 1.5 fWAR for a few weeks now, it's a slump or is it more?

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's an odd profile. Strikes out 33% of the time, walks like 8.5%, swings at pitches in the zone 69% of the time, outside zone is a decent 32%.  Robert is over 40% ozone and over 70% in it.

Kelenic's hard hit percentage is 48% and that's really good, I have no idea if that means anything. I'm sure there's some research out there on if hard hit % is an uptick in true talent or is just a "hot streak" after 50-60 games.

He's still on pace for like a 3.5 fWAR season, so overall doing good, but he's been stuck on 1.5 fWAR for a few weeks now, it's a slump or is it more?

I rode him for fantasy after that initial burst but he's on the borderline of moving on from in the next week or two.

Elly de la Cruz is the new flavor of the month, haha.

I guess the only thing you can say from watching prospects for so long is that the normal progression is a really strong rookie season...followed by the sophomore slump as pitchers make adjustments.

Now with all the video and technology, players will go through multiple streaks and then readjustments within a single season.

Seems like the biggest thing with Kelenic is to stay consistent with his approach and to stop doubting himself (easier said than done) and attempting to make mechanical changes from game to game and at-bat to at-bat.

Same thing with James Outman, who was the flavor of the month in the early going before hitting a prolonged slump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

All Kelenic sucks/Harold jokes to the side, I feel for the kid. It was a stupid thing he did, but he definitely wears his heart on his sleve. Feel terrible for him.

I honestly don't feel bad for injuries like this. It's just like Quentin's.

Controlling emotions is part of the game. If Eloy did this, it'd be non-stop mockery. If Moncada did it, it'd be "he finally shows emotion and of course he gets hurt."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mental makeup is so important...for every Konerko, there's 100 Gordon Beckham's and CQ's who never realize their potential.

Many others never experience success or have that initial positive tear of weeks or months that mysteriously disappears when scouts later suggest adjustments that don't take or failure snowballs.

14 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Truly shocked that the guy who acts like the smartest person on this forum was wrong yet again.

That's not Balta lol?

There was another one who seemingly took the opposite er contrasting view...who had a lot of high school and college baseball experience...name having something to do with Ray Durham or Hawk's "love to watch Ray run" saying.

Edited by caulfield12