ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

devastating all around.

On Eloy for being a dumbass. How many times has he screwed up in the OF when all he needs to do is stay put?

On CWS for not getting more depth when it was easily acquirable and also thinking the Eloy experiment would work in LF (I called it many many times in many different threads stating eloy in LF would lead to an injury).

This really puts a big blow on the season. Obviously injuries were going to happen, but taking eloy away before game 1 is massive. Twins easy #1 favorite in AL Central now and it puts a LOT more pressure on a guy like Luis Robert to step up when we know regression is coming from the overachievers like Abreu last year. 

I know a coach can't overcome everyything, but add to your list the coaching staff failing to correct him from doing something really stupid before it got really bad. 

8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

why does it become less likely to re-dislocate as you get older?

Because aging is just your body's ability to retain water in the cells. There are glycoaminoglicans (GAG) in your cells that are hydrophyllic meaning they attract water. Those cells become less hydrophyllic as you age. In essence aging is your body drying out, hence you hear to drink more water as you age. The drying out of the tissue make tissue tighter and less flexible. This is why people pulls muscles and get wrinkles in the skin. However, if you have a loose joint capsule from a dislocation, the capsule tightens up and is more stable.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Whats the status on Engel injury?  Is he even gonna be able to break camp with the Sox and avoid a DL stint.  

When he got hurt they said what, 3 weeks, and that was only a few days ago?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-opening-day-roster-what-adam-engels-hamstring-injury-means

That absence, cited by manager Tony La Russa on Sunday, bleeds into the regular season, of course, meaning Engel isn't likely to be ready for Opening Day. And with the team's obvious fourth outfielder on the shelf, there's a roster spot open with a week and change remaining in spring training.

"We are thinking about that," La Russa said when asked about options for a replacement. "It creates a spot open, so we’ll look at what we do with it.

"It’s not a good break for us. But Adam does so much, and he was really coming. It’s a tough time to pull the plug on it, but he knows what he was working on and when he comes back, he’ll be ready to go."

He's probably going to need some reps to get himself back ready for the season, so mid-April barring any setbacks? 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I know a coach can't overcome everyything, but add to your list the coaching staff failing to correct him from doing something really stupid before it got really bad. 

It’s always something with him though. He didn’t run into the wall this time, he just hung on it for some reason. 

If it truly is a year ending injury I'd still stay the course. Leury, Engel, etc. aren't terrible replacements, especially with how Engel has loooked of late. That said, Eaton is also the type of guy to get hurt. I'd go with a band-aid in Cespedes & then make some calls to guys like Nick Markakis and see if he'd want to come out of retirement. You don't need a ton from that position seeing the rest of our lineup. Guys like Kevin Pillar come available at the deadline for super cheap usually and probably even more so this year. You could easily scoop a guy like Avi Garcia up in a pinch. All in all, we should be fine. This is the freakout phase, but don't worry. If it's like 4 months? 5 months? Gives enough time for him to be back for the postseason, otherwise it's a lost year. Our young pitching was never going to hold up to the rigors of a full season and postseason to hang with a Padres or Dodgers. Let's just have a productive year, win some games and get some experience. 

Let's start the clock on our #1 prospect and stick him at DH when we already have 2 everyday players that shouldn't be in the field AND the second best best offensive catcher on the planet who also needs plate appearances at DH.

Our front office is aggressive in only the wrong ways.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

If it truly is a year ending injury I'd still stay the course. Leury, Engel, etc. aren't terrible replacements, especially with how Engel has loooked of late. That said, Eaton is also the type of guy to get hurt. I'd go with a band-aid in Cespedes & then make some calls to guys like Nick Markakis and see if he'd want to come out of retirement. You don't need a ton from that position seeing the rest of our lineup. Guys like Kevin Pillar come available at the deadline for super cheap usually and probably even more so this year. You could easily scoop a guy like Avi Garcia up in a pinch. All in all, we should be fine. This is the freakout phase, but don't worry. If it's like 4 months? 5 months? Gives enough time for him to be back for the postseason, otherwise it's a lost year. Our young pitching was never going to hold up to the rigors of a full season and postseason to hang with a Padres or Dodgers. Let's just have a productive year, win some games and get some experience. 

Respectfully, no

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Fuck it. Get Vaughn an OF glove. Considering he's not an OF makes him more likely to be able to fake it better, right? There's logic somewhere in that sentence. 

lol, the Vaughn in LF was really only an option with Eloy at DH

now that he's done for the year, you leave Vaughn at DH and sign Cespedes or trade for Bryant imo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Fuck it. Get Vaughn an OF glove. Considering he's not an OF makes him more likely to be able to fake it better, right? There's logic somewhere in that sentence. 

I don't totally disagree. Sometimes when shit hits the fan, you need to be able to react. If Eloy is really this bad in LF (We have confirmed he is) could Vaughn be worse? And does he stand the same chance of hurting himself? Does it screw with him at the plate? I know you don't want to make the kid look like a fool......but I don't know what other options they have....and trading Abreu and Vaughn doesn't seem like it's in the cards, seeing the puff piece USA Today just ran for Vaughn with Kenny quoted...

• Like 1

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

lol, the Vaughn in LF was really only an option with Eloy at DH

now that he's done for the year, you leave Vaughn at DH and sign Cespedes or trade for Bryant imo

Haha I meant more going forward. Let him work there on the side shagging fly balls and shit and then see if it can be a thing next year.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Bryant is a huge draw. If youre going to pay for someone, pay for him

People have been talking Bryant in this thread, but that's long gone.

Cubs did a bit of a 180 on their offseason plans last month or so. They are trying to win. Their holding Bryant at least until the trade deadline and then they will determine whether to sell or not. 

Just get Gallo already. Isn't he under contract for 2 years?

Solves the power void issue and is a LH bat and a corner OF. Good bridge to Colas 

Eloy can play DH next year if he still has his power. 

Jose/Vaughn at 1B/DH this year.

2022 Vaughn/Eloy if he is 100 percent health and power wise. 

Just get it done. Might need to part with a couple young pitchers. It sucks but it is what it is.