ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Wow. this is much better for the longterm. If he ruptured it they can tack it back down and all is good. A tear in the middle of the muscle could cause long term issues. It sucks but could definitely have been worse longterm

how long after surgery would he be able to rehab it enough to just swing a bat?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

When Pt jumps in - this sounds different than a torn pectoral muscle, would love to hear differences in prognosis and recovery.

It's much better as I posted. He won't have any where near structural issues in the muscle that he would have if it was a tear in the middle of the muscle and it involved more of the muscle fibers as opposed to the tendon.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes. Healing is around 8-12 weeks. Then it's getting it stretched out and strengthened which it usually another 8-12 weeks. However, he must be really tight to tear the muscle before the shoulder went so it may take a little longer.

That's bad training right?  How is this guy so tight?  He's a baseball player!  His entire upper body should be pretty limber.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Someone noted in the game thread yesterday how, after having one guy injured playing LF poorly, putting another guy out in LF who has never played there seems...risky.

So is hoping to make the playoffs with Leury or Engel as your everyday LF.  Maybe this will cause Vaughn to finally agree to an extension.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

OK, well... seeing some crazy reactions everywhere

I do not think we should or that we will trade for anything significant (gallo/Bryant). Those are overreactions. Other teams aren't just going to trade them now when the season starts in a week.

We might sign Cespedes (that makes the most sense) or trade for Tauchman. I think one of these things happens.

I'm just going to leave it at that and not berate this organization today. I'ma focus on my fantasy drafts. 

The thing is, the lineup needed to carry the lack of rotation depth.

If we had signed Quintana, I'm less worried about Eloy being out for most of the season because he goofs around in the OF. Now we're relying on Engel, our 1B prospect, or Sheets to pick up the slack in LF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

how long after surgery would he be able to rehab it enough to just swing a bat?

He will need to wait probably 6-8 weeks before he can to much of anything. The tack they use to keep the ruptured tendon in place needs to dissolve and the tendon needs to heal into the periosteum. then they will need to regain the flexibility before strengthening can begin.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just judging by Hahn’s tone, I think they trade for someone. Vaughn talk likely just to give Sox more leverage.

I would agree.

Vaughn in LF is a scary thought...for him.  Last thing we need is for someone else to go down.

Possibly too many question marks signing Yoenis.

A proven OF and bat makes the most sense.

Bring up Yermin! 

But for real if Vaughn is in LF it kinda opens a spot. 

Either way, between Vaughn and Leury and eventually Engel? Not terrible. 

DH can be Collins. Not great, not awful. See what happens and assess again in May to see if you need to go outside the orginization.