ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tony LaRussa saying it will happen doesn't mean it's anything other than insane. 

They've been playing Vaughn in left for a year now. I hope they'd know if he is competent out there or not. I still think they bring in an outside guy to soften the blow. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

They've been playing Vaughn in left for a year now. I hope they'd know if he is competent out there or not. I still think they bring in an outside guy to soften the blow. 

To be fair, they also thought Eloy was competent out there...  But I'm sure Vaughn will at least be better than Eloy out there.  Let's hope he is a baseball player and not just someone who can hit the ball.

Talked to my buddy who's a surgeon - kinda confirmed what I was guessing - Eloy will be basically nothing this year. He can recover in 5 months, but a power hitter having to regain strength is going to take a while. Said it will be a full year before a full, full recovery. Which makes sense - the man isn't going to be able to touch weights, going to have to rebuild strength, conditioning, go through PT, build up, etc. Can't really see that happening too quickly. Maybe being young time will be on his side and he can contribute something, but I think if we get him back he'll be Eloy Lite for the year. 

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I'd definitely pay close attention to who gets cut on other team. Could find someone more interesting than some of the guys who are stated to make the team at least.

Ya, there's going to be a few guys without options that get cut. There will be options out there. They won't be Eloy, but there will be options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

4 years of control for Santander. Idk what it would take but don't think Orioles would just give him away.

Yea I’d be very curious because dude has breakout potential written on him.

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I mean, run through the list. In 3 years of college, Vaughn actually pitched 10 innings, but never once played the OF. The team has said they've put him to work in the OF for backup roles, but even when they resigned Abreu they didn't give him long stints there. They were looking at him as a DH this season, and even Engel getting hurt didn't make them suddenly start working him out there as a backup. He has 0 innings in the OF in spring training. They've literally told you the answer to this question. 

They may hope that they can "Get away with it anyway", but everyone who has worked with Vaughn has said "naw he's a 1b just deal with it". 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Talked to my buddy who's a surgeon - kinda confirmed what I was guessing - Eloy will be basically nothing this year. He can recover in 5 months, but a power hitter having to regain strength is going to take a while. Said it will be a full year before a full, full recovery. Which makes sense - the man isn't going to be able to touch weights, going to have to rebuild strength, conditioning, go through PT, build up, etc. Can't really see that happening too quickly. Maybe being young time will be on his side and he can contribute something, but I think if we get him back he'll be Eloy Lite for the year. 

I would disagree to an extent. The lower extremities and trunk are major part of hitting and he'll continue to work on those. The left pec is not really involved in hitting for a right handed hitter because that shoulder really does extension. So while he won't be perfect, he has a chance to be a major contributer by September. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think they need to do a trade (or sign puig). Vaughn can play left once a week maybe but definitely not every day. 

And I wouldn't want leury or Engel play almost every day especially since we don't know how much Eaton has left in him. 

Puig is under investigation for domestic abuse. NO THANK YOU.