ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

10 hours ago, pcq said:

Vaughn and Zack make for an easy pivot. Give it a couple weeks and see.

Eloy was a clutch hitter and I for one have my doubts that this team could win the WS  without him.  He is part of the heart and soul of this team along with Abreu, TA Robert and Moncada. We needed them all to get there and one is gone even before the season starts.

7 hours ago, tray said:

Eloy was a clutch hitter and I for one have my doubts that this team could win the WS  without him.  He is part of the heart and soul of this team along with Abreu, TA Robert and Moncada. We needed them all to get there and one is gone even before the season starts.

Eloy will be ready for the World Series. Meanwhile the rotation is looking solid. Tony as manager could add a few more wins to the mix. Maybe Nick Williams will contribute. We have to acknowledge that Eloy in LF was bad thinking and now they are adjusting.  You have to play the hand you were dealt. But I don't disagree with you. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Eloy will be ready for the World Series. Meanwhile the rotation is looking solid. Tony as manager could add a few more wins to the mix. Maybe Nick Williams will contribute. We have to acknowledge that Eloy in LF was bad thinking and now they are adjusting.  You have to play the hand you were dealt. But I don't disagree with you. 

VAFAN in disguise? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Compared to last season the Sox lose essential production in LF while expecting upgrades at RF 3B and DH. For now they will adapt but will miss the loss of depth during the season. 

Robert has to be the threat he was the last week and into the playoffs again... 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

All of those options are worse than if the Sox just gut it out with Leury and Engel. That's probably why Jim Bowden hasn't GM'd for 10+ years.

I feel like the only person who would be super cool with Engel as a starter. 

14 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Last year he had a .767 OPS vs RHP but in only 35 PA. If I thought he could repeat that, or even within 20 points of that, his defense would justify starting him. I wouldn't be shocked if he could do it, but I wouldn't want to count on it.

Eloy is a huge loss but if the Vaughn thing works somewhat and collins hits at DH the lineup still is very strong. 

Obviously the experiment could also fail because Vaughn is unplayable in left and the Sox are forced to play Williams or leury there and then offense would take a very big hit. 

8 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if collins and Vaughn both make the team, my worry is that TLR is gonna try to divvy up ABs between them and Garcia. only way I would want Collins at DH is if he played everyday or damn near,same for Vaughn.

It would be wrong to start Collins and Vaughn nearly everyday.

1. Collins has 102 ML at bats, a .599 OPS, .361 vs. LHP. He should platoon only, the Sox have plenty of other hitters to start against LHP.
  2. Vaughn has 0 ML at bats above A ball. He should sit against tough RHPs, ease him against weaker RHP to ensure he can handle the jump.
  3. Garcia should rotate covering Eaton vs. LHP, and some starts for Engel in LF when he is subbing for Robert or against tough RHP.
  4. The Sox should get a utility infielder, claim Yolmer Sanchez (he's on waivers) if they are not comfortable with Mendick.
  5. If you are going to worry about anything, worry about Tony getting all veteranastic, starting Eaton regularly against LHP, Lucroy every time Grandal is off/DH/1B, and God Forbid fucking Billy Hamilton (2020 OPS .390, .564 in 2019) gets any starts ever, unless they literally don't have 9 batters that day because of COVID.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if collins and Vaughn both make the team, my worry is that TLR is gonna try to divvy up ABs between them and Garcia. only way I would want Collins at DH is if he played everyday or damn near,same for Vaughn.

Vaughn getting work in left I would say is directly linked to them wanting to play Collins every day (especially against righties). If Vaughn hits and Collins doesn't, then you just shift Vaughn to DH and then play Garcia/Engel/pick up in LF.

9 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I didn't see this posted but I would think a torn pec ligament would be a pretty open and closed case, wonder what would lead to getting a second opinion. 

They are sending him to them John Cena doctors"

On 3/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, RagahRagah said:

Adam Engel is my candidate for break-out player of the year for the Sox. I think he's going to do great things, and I've thought that ever since the beginning of the 2020 season. Now he has his shot. 

• Like 2