White Sox are still a World Series Contender

vilehoopster

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

People aren’t applying the same critical eye to other teams apparently to be so negative on the Sox. Let’s look at the Yankees. Two of their best hitters never make it through a season. Voit goes down they replace him with Bruce. Which means they have poor middle infield depth, otherwise they just move DJLM over for the time being. Their bullpen after Aroldis and Green garbage compared to ours. After Cole every member of their rotation is questionable. Would you trade Kluber,  German, Taillon and Montgomery for Lynn, Keuchel, Cesase and Rodon? I sure wouldn’t. If you don’t trust Cease and Rodon how you gonna trust German and Montgomery? Same issues without the upside. Maybe Kluber rebounds I’d rather take my chances with Lynn. Keuchel or Taillon. Taillon is pure projection. Keuchel actually gets the job done. They’ve got one the worst defensive catchers in the game who also forgot how to hit. He isn’t going to help that shaky staff any. Torres is one the worst shortstops defensively. Sox have the better team

The difference is Yankees fans aren't desperate for "championship windows" and good development and coaching. The Yankees have a lengthy history of making stars, winning championships and always being in the playoff picture. 

You have to understand how this affects people's thoughts on their team, whether we are better this year or not (and it still remains to be seen!).

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What, so you can welch again.

That said, I had no takers when I offered a ban bar after posters were claiming Grandal would catch over 120 games, or the Sox would win over 105 games, this upcoming season.

AngelicSneakyDesertpupfish-max-1mb.gif

It’s weird that you are so eager to both reduce the number of posters on this site and bet against things that would be positive for the Sox. Just saying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vulture said:

People aren’t applying the same critical eye to other teams apparently to be so negative on the Sox. Let’s look at the Yankees. Two of their best hitters never make it through a season. Voit goes down they replace him with Bruce. Which means they have poor middle infield depth, otherwise they just move DJLM over for the time being. Their bullpen after Aroldis and Green garbage compared to ours. After Cole every member of their rotation is questionable. Would you trade Kluber,  German, Taillon and Montgomery for Lynn, Keuchel, Cesase and Rodon? I sure wouldn’t. If you don’t trust Cease and Rodon how you gonna trust German and Montgomery? Same issues without the upside. Maybe Kluber rebounds I’d rather take my chances with Lynn. Keuchel or Taillon. Taillon is pure projection. Keuchel actually gets the job done. They’ve got one the worst defensive catchers in the game who also forgot how to hit. He isn’t going to help that shaky staff any. Torres is one the worst shortstops defensively. Sox have the better team

Severino? Andujar?

22 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Part of free agent negotiations are understanding timing and the maturity of the market. The sox being in a hurry to sign a mid to low level player is nonsense when holding out in that space for the past ten years has been the smart move, that is not something to excuse away. There was no reason they had to rush to sign Eaton. Being a bad negotiator and market analyst isn't a viable excuse for missing out on a player.

Hahn may be the worst executive ever but he is far from a bad negotiator.  He was burned with prolonging the process into the spring in the past.   Joc may have gotten the Sox and cubs into a bidding war and made more money.  Seems like Joc and his agent are the one's that was burned but that doesn't fit the White Sox are cheap Hahn sucks narrative of the self loathing sector of Soxtalk.

This thread is the culmination of a long and for some reason dreary Soxtalk offseason that saw Soxtalk clamoring for them to spend money then piss and moan about the money that was spent previously.  Trade for veterans and take on money then tell everyone that Dane Dunning is the next Shane Bieber.

I am still waiting for Tim Anderson to demand a trade because the manager is a right wing lunatic.

The veteran catcher that had a great spring was released to open two opportunities for young players, the years of service game was once again not a part of the White Sox business model but yet here we are again pissing and moaning in the thread that was created to talk about the potential of the White Sox.

I really think this site is more trolls than fans or maybe White Sox fans really just do hate the White Sox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

What about them

He was left off the list of Yankees’ pitchers earlier...when he’s their most important pitcher arguably, along with Cole.

And Andujar has significant value as a trading chip, moreso than any young Sox player we could plausibly trade without creating another hole.  Same with Sanchez, for that matter.

The Yankees are still on the tier ahead of us.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He was left off the list of Yankees’ pitchers earlier...when he’s their most important pitcher arguably, along with Cole.

And Andujar has significant value as a trading chip, moreso than any young Sox player we could plausibly trade without creating another hole.  Same with Sanchez, for that matter.

The Yankees are still on the tier ahead of us.

Severino is coming off TJS, he first threw off a mound two weeks ago.  Andujar has nothing to do with them constantly losing production from Lemahieu Judge and Stanton being injured all of the time, or Voit now.  Honestly those two names do nothing to refute his point 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Severino is coming off TJS, he first threw off a mound two weeks ago.  Andujar has nothing to do with them constantly losing production from Lemahieu Judge and Stanton being injured all of the time, or Voit now.  Honestly those two names do nothing to refute his point 

The Yankees getting Severino back is even more important than the White Sox with Jimenez in August.

Without him, the rotation still has plenty of question marks.

The Yankees have more depth to cover injuries, period...or make trades if they need to.  It’s why they make the playoffs 85-90% of the time.   For example, Andujar and Tauchman.   And every year they seemingly have a guy like Frazier or Voit go off for 30-40 dingers.

The poster was arguing the Yankees have a number of flaws as the AL favorites, but they still have a more predictable path to the World Series than the White Sox.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Yankees getting Severino back is even more important than the White Sox with Jimenez in August.

Without him, the rotation still has plenty of question marks.

The Yankees have more depth to cover injuries, period...or make trades if they need to.  It’s why they make the playoffs 85-90% of the time.   For example, Andujar and Tauchman.   And every year they seemingly have a guy like Frazier or Voit go off for 30-40 dingers.

The poster was arguing the Yankees have a number of flaws as the AL favorites, but they still have a more predictable path to the World Series than the White Sox.

Their path is no more predictable than the Sox and you know it.  None of what you have said has disproven his point that they have tons of question marks, just like the Sox 

one team has a predictable path and they are in LA

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Their path is no more predictable than the Sox and you know it.  None of what you have said has disproven his point that they have tons of question marks, just like the Sox 

These are correct words

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Hahn may be the worst executive ever but he is far from a bad negotiator.  He was burned with prolonging the process into the spring in the past.   Joc may have gotten the Sox and cubs into a bidding war and made more money.  Seems like Joc and his agent are the one's that was burned but that doesn't fit the White Sox are cheap Hahn sucks narrative of the self loathing sector of Soxtalk.

This thread is the culmination of a long and for some reason dreary Soxtalk offseason that saw Soxtalk clamoring for them to spend money then piss and moan about the money that was spent previously.  Trade for veterans and take on money then tell everyone that Dane Dunning is the next Shane Bieber.

I am still waiting for Tim Anderson to demand a trade because the manager is a right wing lunatic.

The veteran catcher that had a great spring was released to open two opportunities for young players, the years of service game was once again not a part of the White Sox business model but yet here we are again pissing and moaning in the thread that was created to talk about the potential of the White Sox.

I really think this site is more trolls than fans or maybe White Sox fans really just do hate the White Sox.

How was he burned? Top free agents are not the same as bottom. No one gets burned waiting out the bottom of the market.

Again with this nonsense that people expect management and ownership to do what they said they would after 4 years of tanking are some how trolls. I guess you expected a payroll lower than 2006 while they're all-in after years of not spending a dime on the on the field product. The only trolls are the people like you who think viable criticism is somehow not allowed and all we can do is praise a team and management group that has accomplished nothing.

The cubs weren't getting into a bidding war over Joc Pederson. Bottom freee agents don't cause bidding wars. Nothing you said makes any sense. 

The la russa hiring was shit - both process and outcome wise. Nothing will change that. 

How can you say no one can critique hahns negotiating lol. Amazing nonsense in this post all around.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hmmm who is more likely to fill their holes by acquiring quality players via money at the deadline. The team that's done it every year for 4 decades or the team who has the 15th ranked payroll in baseball during an all-in year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things that come front of mind while reading this thread:

1. These so-called "new posters" seem to come with built-in knowledge and experience and prejudices on this site. I wonder who they were before they got banned, now that they've come back to this site. 

2. I'm of the mind that yes, we can be optimistic about this teams chances. I also think that we can be colored by this orgs failures in the past, as well as their failures to fix very fixable flaws. It really ain't that hard.

If you want nothing but positivity, and Thought Police-enforced sacchariney-sweet happiness, here you go:

Your Home For Mindless Posìtivity

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hmmm who is more likely to fill their holes by acquiring quality players via money at the deadline. The team that's done it every year for 4 decades or the team who has the 15th ranked payroll in baseball during an all-in year?

I keep telling myself we aren't dumb enough to not fill out this roster to ensure a legit title run, but then they amaze me. I hope that we bring someone in once Collins and Lamb flop that can provide some Eloy relief. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's yet to be seen, but it isn't as if the Sox have never made big acquisitions during the season before.  Right now sox and Yankees both have issues

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Two things that come front of mind while reading this thread:

1. These so-called "new posters" seem to come with built-in knowledge and experience and prejudices on this site. I wonder who they were before they got banned, now that they've come back to this site. 

2. I'm of the mind that yes, we can be optimistic about this teams chances. I also think that we can be colored by this orgs failures in the past, as well as their failures to fix very fixable flaws. It really ain't that hard.

If you want nothing but positivity, and Thought Police-enforced sacchariney-sweet happiness, here you go:

Your Home For Mindless Posìtivity

😂 yes this is always an issue 

to your second point, as I have stated before it isn't negativity for me, it is constant negativity harping the exact same points in multiple threads and starting arguments regarding those same points.   When multiple posters point out that one poster is dragging threads down, it's a problem.  We don't demand saccharine sweetness here, just try and talk to people sometimes rather than tell them they are wrong every chance you get.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It’s weird that you are so eager to both reduce the number of posters on this site and bet against things that would be positive for the Sox. Just saying.

No, people just come up with ridiculous opinions, perhaps weed induced, and when confronted with backing their talk with walking the walk, they back off.

Watched baseball long enough to know what’s realistic, and what’s bullshit, be it optimism or pessimism.

Would offer the same ban bet to someone saying the Sox won’t win 75, it’s as unlikely as winning 105.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No, people just come up with ridiculous opinions, perhaps weed induced, and when confronted with backing their talk with walking the walk, they back off.

Watched baseball long enough to know what’s realistic, and what’s bullshit, be it optimism or pessimism.

Would offer the same ban bet to someone saying Hahn’s streak of finishing under 79 wins (entire GM tenure) won’t snap this year. Anything is possible, but it’s not probable unless several more key players get hurt or have unexpectedly horrible seasons.

Lmao what?  Are you declaring reefer madness in the lords year 2021 😂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao what?  Are you declaring reefer madness in the lords year 2021 😂 

Weed was far less potent back in the day vs. what the government sanctioned weed dealers sell today.

Gave up menthols and weed in 8th grade, the year the Sox were Winning Ugly. Good decisions and great baseball.

Damn it feels good to be a gangster. 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

😂 yes this is always an issue 

to your second point, as I have stated before it isn't negativity for me, it is constant negativity harping the exact same points in multiple threads and starting arguments regarding those same points.   When multiple posters point out that one poster is dragging threads down, it's a problem.  We don't demand saccharine sweetness here, just try and talk to people sometimes rather than tell them they are wrong every chance you get.

But the same positive threads over and over again that call out anyone who thinks something not positive, enticing a response, are somehow fine. Good stuff as always, Kyle. Calling it Hypocritical would be putting your stance lightly.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run