2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The subtext being that Glasnow just admitted he had been cheating.

Yeah, I mean that part is obvious. But the bigger issue here, to me…is how MLB handled it. 

Yes, this is a large problem, these guys shouldn’t have been “cheating” and it needs to stop. But MLB knew it was going on and did nothing for years. Then in the middle of the season, they threw the hammer down. Sorry, but that’s not right. I believe Glasnow. Right or wrong, MLB enabled these guys and allowed them to skirt this…and when you take it away without notice….there are issues that are bigger than guys just losing spin rate. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Fascinating listen

Can’t wait to see how this all shakes out. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Tony said:

This is WILD stuff

He's not wrong. It makes sense with gripping the ball tighter. The medial forearm is where the finger flexors originate. When those muscle get fatigued the stress goes to the ligament which is already under stress. 

Orioles last road win was John Means no-hitter … 18 losses since

Diamondbacks last road win was Madison Bumgarner's 7-inning no hitter...22 losses since, tied for longest in modern era. They play this afternoon vs Kevin Gausman.

Edited by flavum

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Orioles last road win was John Means no-hitter … 18 losses since

Diamondbacks last road win was Madison Bumgarner's 7-inning no hitter...22 losses since, tied for longest in modern era. They play this afternoon vs Kevin Gausman.

In a similar stat story, I read yesterday that Vlad Jr has hit 18 home runs since Arizona last won a road game  

On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, southsider2k5 said:

So when people call Jerry cheap, realize there are a whole other class of bottom feeding owners out there.  There is zero reason Wander shouldn't have been up last September, let alone Opening Day.

Yeah since when do teenagers need any experience above A Ball?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently he is sub-optimal for TB.

You're saying there is zero reason he wasn't on the roster last year when he was 19 and played ~50 games in A+ in his career. You're just wrong. Not sure what brought you to the brazenly false opinion or what makes you think you know better than maybe the best run organization in baseball but I'll trust the Rays approach. 

10 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You're saying there is zero reason he wasn't on the roster last year when he was 19 and played ~50 games in A+ in his career. You're just wrong. Not sure what brought you to the brazenly false opinion or what makes you think you know better than maybe the best run organization in baseball but I'll trust the Rays approach. 

The Rays approach is to pinch pennies by having the best prospect in baseball playing in the minor when he should be on their team so he doesn't become a FA or super 2 too soon.  I would call that sub-optimal.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Rays approach is to pinch pennies by having the best prospect in baseball playing in the minor when he should be on their team so he doesn't become a FA or super 2 too soon.  I would call that sub-optimal.

Your argument was he should have been in the MLB last season when he was a teenager who had never played a game above A ball. I know you're very confident in your argument because you've seen others use it effectively in reference to other players with different circumstances. However, it doesn't apply to a teenager who has never played above A ball and wasn't even playing affiliated ball because of COVID last year. If a given team wants to call that kid up, so be it, that's their right. If they don't call that teen up from A-ball, they are not penny-pinching, service-time manipulating meanies. There is more nuance here than you're picking up and there is no precedent for a teenaged position player having such a path to the majors. 

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Your argument was he should have been in the MLB last season when he was a teenager who had never played a game above A ball. I know you're very confident in your argument because you've seen others use it effectively in reference to other players with different circumstances. However, it doesn't apply to a teenager who has never played above A ball and wasn't even playing affiliated ball because of COVID last year. If a given team wants to call that kid up, so be it, that's their right. If they don't call that teen up from A-ball, they are not penny-pinching, service-time manipulating meanies. There is more nuance here than you're picking up and there is no precedent for a teenaged position player having such a path to the majors. 

So not last season, not opening day, not May, but the middle of June when all of those deadlines have passed.  I would be curious what change in all of that time that NOW Wander is a better option than what Tampa has had in place at all of those points in time, where he wasn't the most optimal option before today?

Rabbit is 2/3rd’s right.

It is suspicious with their recent slide and deadlines passing...but look at Kelenic’s struggles, or Vaughn against RHP.  Those were much more experienced players.

Then factor in the Covid season and lack of quality at-bats in real game conditions.

This is not Kris Bryant 2.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So not last season, not opening day, not May, but the middle of June when all of those deadlines have passed.  I would be curious what change in all of that time that NOW Wander is a better option than what Tampa has had in place at all of those points in time, where he wasn't the most optimal option before today?

My point is there was no precedent for a player like him to be called up last year. You were calling the rays a bunch of names for not calling him up but if they did they would be doing something unprecedented. 

The correct move was to start Franco in the minors this year. He hasn’t played affiliated ball since 2019 and has never played above a-ball. After that, there are multiple arguments that can be made. 

Just now, raBBit said:

My point is there was no precedent for a player like him to be called up last year. You were calling the rays a bunch of names for not calling him up but if they did they would be doing something unprecedented. 

The correct move was to start Franco in the minors this year. He hasn’t played affiliated ball since 2019 and has never played above a-ball. After that, there are multiple arguments that can be made. 

So there are arguments that not playing your best players is OK.

Perfect.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So there are arguments that not playing your best players is OK.

Perfect.

You were calling the Rays names for not calling up a teenager who never played above A ball in a COVID season where he wasn’t even getting game time. There is no argument from me that Franco isnt good and doesn’t belong in the MLB. You can move goal posts however you like to convince yourself you have an understanding of what is appropriate/inappropriate re: the service time dilemma in MLB but your inaccurate posts are still there.