Moncada has 1 hit against offspeed or breaking pitches all season, 15 hits off non-fastballs since 2020

Jack Parkman

This is very interesting. Thanks Jack!

First impression... This is still a very small sample size for 2021. His batting average has actually never been higher against fastballs. That will probably come down a little.

Second impression is that he hasn't always struggled against breaking balls and offspeed. In 2019 he was almost as good against offspeed as fastballs.

Hopefully things start returning to a more normal rate against breaking and offspeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

His whole full season stats

image.png

He destroyed almost all pitch types in 2019, including changeups.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/yoan-moncada/17232/stats?position=2B/3B#pitch-values

I'm putting it down to COVID and a slow start to 2021.  If he's still scuffling in June we'll have more data points that 2019 was a fluke.  Luckily Yoan does not take his at bats into the field and he is a rock at 3B.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He destroyed almost all pitch types in 2019, including changeups.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/yoan-moncada/17232/stats?position=2B/3B#pitch-values

I'm putting it down to COVID and a slow start to 2021.  If he's still scuffling in June we'll have more data points that 2019 was a fluke.  Luckily Yoan does not take his at bats into the field and he is a rock at 3B.

I always thought COVID was a bullshit excuse personally..  I am HOPING this is a slow start.. But we have seen it an awful lot.. 2018, 2020 and now 2021.  I was hoping 2019 was the turning point.. Now, I am getting slightly nervous.

• Thanks 1

Moncada is the biggest disappointment in the entire organization for me ATM.  I'm hoping he can pick it up, but he's always had issues controlling himself at the plate.  COVID aside, he gets way too passive and way too aggressive way too often to truly become an elite hitter.  He has the tools though.  I'm hoping he's like a .275 guy at the end of the year who just gets on these long hot streaks between his cold streaks.  As Hawk would say, when he's hot he can carry the team.  That's part of the reason we need guys like Eaton, TA, and we need Vaughn to develop, etc., because we need those consistent performers on offense to deal with the cold spells of the other guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I always thought COVID was a bullshit excuse personally..  I am HOPING this is a slow start.. But we have seen it an awful lot.. 2018, 2020 and now 2021.  I was hoping 2019 was the turning point.. Now, I am getting slightly nervous.

I thought the COVID thing was legit given he apparently had a pretty bad case and it hit just as conditioning was already abbreviated.  Now I'm with you, getting a bit nervous.  Luckily other guys are stepping up so if Yoan is "just" a 3 WAR player instead of 6 that might work out.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Moncada is the biggest disappointment in the entire organization for me ATM.  I'm hoping he can pick it up, but he's always had issues controlling himself at the plate.  COVID aside, he gets way too passive and way too aggressive way too often to truly become an elite hitter.  He has the tools though.  I'm hoping he's like a .275 guy at the end of the year who just gets on these long hot streaks between his cold streaks.  As Hawk would say, when he's hot he can carry the team.  That's part of the reason we need guys like Eaton, TA, and we need Vaughn to develop, etc., because we need those consistent performers on offense to deal with the cold spells of the other guys.

10.5 fWAR over 411 games is the biggest disappointment? Wow. 

That’s 4.15 fWAR per 162 games. 

18 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Opinion: With Moncada, the expectation was peak Jose Ramirez but it looks like we're getting Joe Crede instead. The angst comes from the high prospect ranking. You could claim he's a mild disappointment, but he's definitely not a bust. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Opinion: With Moncada, the expectation was peak Jose Ramirez but it looks like we're getting Joe Crede instead. The angst comes from the high prospect ranking. You could claim he's a mild disappointment, but he's definitely not a bust. 

Joe Crede? Come on.  There is a decent chance Moncada passes Crede in career fWAR this season...in under half the games it took Joe to put up 13.1 for his career.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What is the current trend? 2019 was spectacular but he has struggled outside of that season. Hopefully this is a step in the process and he can be consistently good for the long haul.