Gloves

Texsox

How have I not heard of Nokona gloves until now? An ad on my favorite White Sox site popped up and after clicking I couldn’t believe they are made in the US.

When I was playing my fielder’s glove was a Wilson A2000 and my catchers mitt was a Rawlings. I’m thinking it’s about time to buy my grandson and I matching gloves. Nothing better than breaking in a new glove.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Texsox said:

How have I not heard of Nokona gloves until now? An ad on my favorite White Sox site popped up and after clicking I couldn’t believe they are made in the US.

When I was playing my fielder’s glove was a Wilson A2000 and my catchers mitt was a Rawlings. I’m thinking it’s about time to buy my grandson and I matching gloves. Nothing better than breaking in a new glove.

Breaking in a mitt is an amazing tradition.  I took my time with my son's infield mitts.  It took months doing it correctly so I didn't ruin the leather or screw up the shape.  He liked a flared style.  Shallow pocket as an infielder.  Nokona's are great for OF and pitchers. They are relatively easy to break in.  They are a bit too flexible for an infield mitt IMHO.  Infield mitt shaping has to be done correctly for a pro-style mitt.  A2000/A2k from Wilson and Rawlings Heart of the Hide line are what I consider a pro-style mitt.  For breaking it, don't do crazy things like steaming it or putting it in the dryer.  That screws up the integrity of the leather.  Wilson's glovemaster Shigeaki Aso has a ton of videos of him breaking mitts in for the pros.  If the grandchild is under 12 he doesn't need a pro-style mitt.  They really don't take care of it as an older child would.  I would say 12 and older is good to go for a pro-style mitt.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Once I made traveling ball I always had two mitts going. A gamer and one I was breaking in. 

My son used a valle training glove for offseason work. PBP Pro also sells them as well. It was undersized.  Also he has a pancake mitt. 

• 1 month later...

Nokonas are interesting:  super high-quality, expensive, beautiful...never owned one but I'm told they're a little heavy but extremely durable and easy to break in. Been around forever, beloved by youth players, but the pros don't use them for reasons I've never fully understood.  I'm a big Mizuno guy myself.