Umpire Score Cards This Season

beautox

5 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

For those interested in tracking along at home, Ump Scorecards just released a searchable database of all games, umps, teams, etc. Very cool tool.

Now you can use data when you say "we got jobbed!"

https://umpscorecards.com/site-data/games.html

Awesome, love having access to something like this. Just closed on a house here in CO so i've been a bit busy.

They are currently 28th in MLB with being favored in only 39.3%. The crazy part is the the best teams tend to be at the bottom in general and the worst teams tend to be at the top with some outliers. Maybe the umps consciously or unconsciously favor the underdogs.

Edited by ptatc

On 5/18/2021 at 10:18 AM, fathom said:

So then my question is if Sox catchers do a bad job at framing?  Great work on this 

And conversely the opponent has great framing ? Remember a lot of the bad calls that go against the Sox are when they are hitting. I actually believe framing means so little it shouldn't even be a a thing. Since the Dodgers don't get calls either can you ask the same question about their catchers or any of the top 10 teams who don't get calls in their favor ?

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, beautox said:

As we near the mid point of the season here are where the sox are according to Umpire Scorecard.

#3 overall in getting screwed behind SF and TB, 9th for hitters, and 2nd for pitchers

I saw an article on Sox Machine that said we get screwed on calls way more when Collins catches. Grandal is like +0.25 umpire runs and Collins is around -10. Collins is also a much worse framer. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I saw an article on Sox Machine that said we get screwed on calls way more when Collins catches. Grandal is like +0.25 umpire runs and Collins is around -10. Collins is also a much worse framer. 

I'm willing to buy some of that but how does one explain for the reds and d-backs when their catchers rank middle of the pack or below? according to baseball savant. Also looking at that data how did Salvador Perez fall off that much?!?

1 minute ago, y2chae said:

We need robot umps

the umps' performance this year has been abysmal and has certainly hastened the adoption of robot umps.  I think most fans don't mind an umpire that has a slightly low zone or slightly wide or whatever but what we are seeing is that there is much more going on then just the occasional ump with a slightly askew strike zone -- it's horrifically bad calls, some that are so far outside or inside the zone that there is absolutely no way they should be missed.