5/23 White Sox vs Yankees

reiks12

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I forgot about something. Wow, how absolutely stupid of me. What human being does that? Surely not you.

When you play logic police around here, get expect to get called out when you don’t have easily obtainable information correct. 

Anything else? Or do you want to keep going? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'm not defending Hendricks...of course he should've grooved on with 3 balls.

My central point was that he was brought into a no-win situation and yet, because he gets paid a lot of money, you think he should be able to overcome any situation thrown at him.  TLR fucked him, plain and simple.

So they intentionally walked LeMaheiu which I agree with and kept Bummer in to face a left handed hitter.  I get that it wasn't a good situation to put Hendricks in, but I don't think it's asking a lot of your closer to be able to throw a strike when he absolutely needs to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron jeremy said:

completely missing the point. You bring in Hendriks with a clean inning. Not with bases loaded and 1 out. 

LOL then who do you bring in with the bases loaded?

Eventually someone will have to come into the game with the bases loaded.  If it can't be the guy who is paid like the best player in the bullpen then who can it be?

It's also not a save situation.  To win that game we need 6 outs anyway, not 3.  If we use Hendriks for the 9th and he blows it, people would have said TLR should have stayed with Bummer anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

When you play logic police around here, get expect to get called out when you don’t have easily obtainable information correct. 

Anything else? Or do you want to keep going? 

Again... logic has nothing to do with remembering a number. 

You having to reach just to take a swipe at me is so desperate and also already getting old. 

Stay focused. 

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, RG23SoxFan said:

So they intentionally walked LeMaheiu which I agree with and kept Bummer in to face a left handed hitter.  I get that it wasn't a good situation to put Hendricks in, but I don't think it's asking a lot of your closer to be able to throw a strike when he absolutely needs to.

Throwing a strike and getting out of a bases loaded, 1 out jam in the 9th are two different things. Very few people are defending the performance of Hendricks today. Everyone agrees the dude needs to throw strikes in that situation. A walk in simply unnaccetpable.

We’re talking about the bigger picture here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defense lost this game.  Sox gave the Yanks 4 of their 5 runs!  If Kuekel makes that play in the first inning, they don’t score those two runs.  Then the overthrow On the DP attempt, and then we walk in a run!

Just now, Tomtom said:

Defense lost this game.  Sox gave the Yanks 4 of their 5 runs!  If Kuekel makes that play in the first inning, they don’t score those two runs.  Then the overthrow On the DP attempt, and then we walk in a run!

A lot of things lost this game, and this series. 

Just now, RagahRagah said:

Again... logic has nothing to do with remembering information. 

You having to reach just to take a swipe at me is so desperate and also already getting old. 

Stay focused. 

1. Don’t think you know what the definition of a “reach” is, this seemed fairly cut and dry. You were wrong, I called you on it. You’re a clown and can’t take being called for your awful posts. Again, simple. 

2. It “getting old” is obviously a subjective opinion. I’m sure you do feel that way. I don’t. So as long as you want to keep questioning anyone that doesn’t agree with your “logic” You better believe I’ll all over your shit posts when you make them. As I said early, be better. Because I’m plenty focused, buttercup. 

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

Eventually someone will have to come into the game with the bases loaded.  If it can't be the guy who is paid like the best player in the bullpen then who can it be?

It's also not a save situation.  To win that game we need 6 outs anyway, not 3.  If we use Hendriks for the 9th and he blows it, people would have said TLR should have stayed with Bummer anyway.

again missing the point. Hendriks should have started the 9th. You know Closers can pitch in non save situations right? especially with randomness of extra inning rule with runner on 2nd. You still had crochet who could pitch 10th if need be. Every closer will tell you they liked coming in clean innings. I would have had no problem going with hendriks in 9th and if he blows it thats on Liam not on TLR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Throwing a strike and getting out of a bases loaded, 1 out jam in the 9th are two different things. Very few people are defending the performance of Hendricks today. Everyone agrees the dude needs to throw strikes in that situation. A walk in simply unnaccetpable.

We’re talking about the bigger picture here. 

That's fine, I am just talking about specifically the 9th.  I don't really have a strong opinion on either side of TLR being the manager.  Just seems those that are against him will never give him credit and those that are for him will never give him blame.  I was fine with his decisions regarding pitching in the 9th, and didn't like bringing Ruiz into a 3-2 game.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. Don’t think you know what the definition of a “reach” is, this seemed fairly cut and dry. You were wrong, I called you on it. You’re a clown and can’t take being called for your awful posts. Again, simple. 

2. It “getting old” is obviously a subjective opinion. I’m sure you do feel that way. I don’t. So as long as you want to keep questioning anyone that doesn’t agree with your “logic” You better believe I’ll all over your shit posts when you make them. As I said early, be better. Because I’m plenty focused, buttercup. 

You called me out for being wrong when I stated that I might have been from the get go. Well, I guess you deserve a gold star.

I haven't said anything about logic in this thread and nothing I have said is pertinent to the subject of logic yet you continually seem to want a needle me as if I did because again, you need something to reach for out of personal dislike.

Be better? Um, OK. You're *not* better all the time. Difference? You handle it much worse. Take your own advice. Basically you're telling me never to be wrong. Good look with that for anyone, especially you. 

No, you aren't focused on what matters here, just a pathetic personal vendetta. The point is that almost a 3rd of the way into the season, the Sox are not at all poised to be the team all the optimists keep insisting they will be, and there is little reason at this point to think they will, both based on deductive reasoning and on history. And if things continue like this, they WILL eventually have to address it and reevaluate.

But you just stay fixated on splitting every little hair with me to make yourself feel better about your glaring insecurity.

Edited by RagahRagah

Just now, fathom said:

This bullpen seems to have never recovered from the debacle at the end of last season. So many guys choking under pressure.

It seems like more than not when he brings a bullpen guy out for a 2nd inning it does not work (unless their name is Kopech) but it is the pitchers who have not gotten it done.  Like you said, they have not been the same since last season's meltdown.  Strange to say, but they really miss Cordero.

4 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

That's fine, I am just talking about specifically the 9th.  I don't really have a strong opinion on either side of TLR being the manager.  Just seems those that are against him will never give him credit and those that are for him will never give him blame.  I was fine with his decisions regarding pitching in the 9th, and didn't like bringing Ruiz into a 3-2 game.

Some of that may be true. And I’m 100% more critical of TLR at this point in the season because he’s given us plenty of reason to be. I know for a fact in the first week or so of the season, I posted how that I felt the hardest part of the TLR stuff was going to be the players accepting him, but once they seemingly got past that in Spring Training, I really felt like he was going to be OK in the dugout. X’s and O’s. He seemed to be pulling the right levers. That QUICKLY changed after the Foster stuff, Hendricks on 2B, Giolito being gassed, etc. So there is no question that a bigger microscope is being placed on TLR right now. But I agree it’s not totally fair to not at least notice some of the good stuff as well, and there certainly has been at times and I’m sure there will be in the future. But as a whole..it’s been pretty bad, in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You called me out for being wrong when I stated that I might have been from the get go. Well, I guess you deserve a gold star.

Wrong. 

14 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

You bring in Alex McRae!

You bring in your closer in the 9th! No ifs, ands or buts about it. No matter what the score is. We paid him so much money to face one batter? No we paid him to come in and shut the door down no matter what the situation is. Period. No excuses! TLR is totally mismanaging the bullpen. He needs to wake up and change things or else he will only be the manager of the Sox for one season or less. 

Edited by maloney.adam

16 minutes ago, ron jeremy said:

again missing the point. Hendriks should have started the 9th. You know Closers can pitch in non save situations right? especially with randomness of extra inning rule with runner on 2nd. You still had crochet who could pitch 10th if need be. Every closer will tell you they liked coming in clean innings. I would have had no problem going with hendriks in 9th and if he blows it thats on Liam not on TLR. 

Bummer: ground ball single basehit; INT BB to set up double play; then weak groundball in the IF which instead of a GIDP turns into an IF single.  

That actually wasn't that bad of inning at all.  He got 2 groundballs and that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Meanwhile Hendriks came in and couldn't hit the broadside of the barn.  Now you can look at this as (1) he would have come in even during a clean inning and still been wild, or (2) maybe he was just wild because he was rattled by the bases being loaded and would have shown better if it was a clean inning.  But if (1) then he's still starting off the inning with a leadoff walk, then that's even worse, because Bummer got a groundball, and at least Bummer forced the opposition to put the ball in play to get a hit.  So Bummer throwing a groundball that gets through the IF is still a better bet than a guy who can't find the zone at all.  And if (2) then if Hendriks gets rattled by a bases juiced situation then why the fuck is he a closer and why is he getting paid so much money?

As a person who will gleefully bash TLR all day long, I do have to say there is nothing to see here.  Game 1 was on TLR.  Games 2 and 3 were on the team.  We should be leaving 1-2, not 0-3 here, but this game isn't the one TLR cost us.

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Remember how awful Hendriks was in game 2 last year without a slider?  Well the problem is he’s had awful command of his slider almost all year.

I mentioned that (to the chagrin of many others) in that long offseason thread where for some odd reason, SoxTalk was all happy about the idea of throwing top market value at a FA closer.  The guy who couldn't get the ball over in the playoffs is still going to show up on the mound here at least some of the time.  

The worry now is the contract.  Can be be a quality-if-overpaid closer?  Hopefully because he's here now.  But so many people were way too excited to sign this guy and I have no idea why.

I also don't know whether this was any of Hahn's intention at all.  Maybe Hahn had different thoughts for the closer spot but the TLR hire pushed the team to a Hendriks signing.  I've read those rumors and to me it is believable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Bummer: ground ball single basehit; INT BB to set up double play; then weak groundball in the IF which instead of a GIDP turns into an IF single.  

That actually wasn't that bad of inning at all.  He got 2 groundballs and that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Meanwhile Hendriks came in and couldn't hit the broadside of the barn.  Now you can look at this as (1) he would have come in even during a clean inning and still been wild, or (2) maybe he was just wild because he was rattled by the bases being loaded and would have shown better if it was a clean inning.  But if (1) then he's still starting off the inning with a leadoff walk, whereas Bummer got a groundball, and at least Bummer forced the opposition to put the ball in play to get a hit.  So Bummer throwing a groundball that gets through the IF is still a better bet than a guy who can't find the zone at all.  And if (2) then if Hendriks gets rattled by a bases juiced situation then why the fuck is he a closer and why is he getting paid so much money?

As a person who will gleefully bash TLR all day long, I do have to say there is nothing to see here.  Game 1 was on TLR.  Games 2 and 3 were on the team.  We should be leaving 1-2, not 0-3 here, but this game isn't the one TLR cost us.

Dont think you can assume he would have come in in a clean inning and been wild. No runners on compared to bases loaded and 1 out are 2 very distinct experiences. 

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

You didnt mention the guy easily stealing 2nd off Bummer...that changed the inning and it is a real problem if people can run at will off your set up guy.

Right.  Also he could steal off of Hendriks too.  If Hendriks walks him, he can still steal just the same.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic