GT 5/29: ORIOLES @ SOX G2

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If Lynn gets hurt it will have nothing to do with three days rest.  He had a minor trap muscle injury he probably strained it grabbing a beer out of the clubhouse fridge because the one he wanted was all the way in the back.

This is a team with pennant and WS aspirations there no punting games.  Lance had a nice little breezy 82 pitches today and should be good for 80 more in a few days.  No problem at all with the move and if the team's trainers and Hahn didn't clear it it wouldn't be happening. 

Giving up one game now to avoid losing more games later is just smart.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Giving up one game now to avoid losing more games later is just smart.

Eh, play to win each game on that day and worry about the next day the next day.  Good advice in sports and life I'd say.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Bingo! Why miss a opportunity to be smarter than everyone else though. 

I do more know about baseball and saw no need to insult TLR for things that are so obviously not his fault. There's already a lot to criticize him for.  But just for your sake right after the game was over I read the whole game thread . That takes time. Then I quoted as many posts as I could about taking Lynn out. Then I checked who pitched on what days and the upcoming schedule. Wrote it all down on a piece of paper so I could make a very long post to make it as clear as possible that Lynn was taken out for reasons that were not apparent to many. All that took at least an hour.

So no not Bingo ! I am also in California so I don't get to see or hear post game comments on Chicago radio or TV. All I get to see is the game .  Post game comments do show up sometimes on my MLB app an hour or 2 after the game. If people don't like being called out for making thoughtless comments maybe they should try thinking.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I do more more about baseball and saw no need to insult TLR no things that are so obviously his fault. There's already a lot to criticize him for.  But just for your sake right after the game was over I read the whole game thread . That takes time. Then I quoted as many posts as I could about taking Lynn out. Then I checked who pitched on what days and the upcoming schedule. Wrote it all down on a piece of paper so I could make a very long post to make it as clear as possible that Lynn was taken out for reasons that were not apparent to many. All that took at least 45 minutes.

So no not Bingo ! I am also in California so I don't get to see or hear post game comments on Chicago radio or TV. All I get to see is the game .  Post game comments do show up sometimes on my MLB app an hour or 2 after the game. If people don't like being called out for making thoughtless comments maybe they should try thinking.

I'm sure you do. I was just making a lame joke.  Yes I like to believe most things managers do are for a reason.  They obviously all don't work out.  That's also the percentages. I didn't watch the game or read the game thread.  So I admit to know nothing.  Just happy the sox swept the DH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I do more know about baseball and saw no need to insult TLR for things that are so obviously not his fault. There's already a lot to criticize him for.  But just for your sake right after the game was over I read the whole game thread . That takes time. Then I quoted as many posts as I could about taking Lynn out. Then I checked who pitched on what days and the upcoming schedule. Wrote it all down on a piece of paper so I could make a very long post to make it as clear as possible that Lynn was taken out for reasons that were not apparent to many. All that took at least an hour.

You did all this just to shame a handful of Soxtalk posters? 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

You did all this just to shame a handful of Soxtalk posters? 

If they get to make clueless comments which may influence other posters do I not have the right to make corrections to better educate our posters ? I consider what I did  a service . But yes shame on them for blaming TLR for everything that they perceive is wrong when they have no clue. I've criticized TLR on plenty of his moves but that doesn't mean I can't stick up for him, when there are legitimate reasons for not criticizing him especially such a simple reason as 2 DH's in 3 days.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, play to win each game on that day and worry about the next day the next day.  Good advice in sports and life I'd say.

It's the same idea as throwing your closer four days in a row.  Sometimes you just need to understand that the risk isn't worth it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's the same idea as throwing your closer four days in a row.  Sometimes you just need to understand that the risk isn't worth it. 

Oh @tray if you have something to say, just say it.  The laugh react thing is trite.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If they get to make clueless comments which may influence other posters do I not have the right to make corrections to better educate our posters ? I consider what I did  a service . But yes shame on them for blaming TLR for everything that they perceive is wrong when they have no clue. I've criticized TLR on plenty of his moves but that doesn't mean I can't stick up for him, when there are legitimate reasons for not criticizing him especially such a simple reason as 2 DH's in 3 days.

Come on.

Anyways this was a nice day of baseball. Let’s do it again tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh @tray if you have something to say, just say it.  The laugh react thing is trite.

Why do you think your judgment is better than an experienced Major League Manager who confers with coaches, has access to advanced stats and analytics, and has direct contact with players and  trainers?

I enjoy using emojis where appropriate.  They can get a message across efficiently. 😊

• Like 3

Just now, tray said:

Why do you think your judgment is better than an experienced Major League Manager who confers with coaches, has access to advanced stats and analytics, and has direct contact with players and  trainers?

I enjoy using emojis where appropriate.  They can get a message across efficiently. 😊

You mean the major leagues where basically no one starts on 3 days rest anymore?  Talk about walking into your own rhetoric. 

• Like 1

Just now, tray said:

Yea that's what I was about to post. Lynn is a well respected vet, a guy that is a leader and surely knows his body.  The Sox do a good job keeping players on the field for the most part.  They've earned the benefit of the doubt here and so has Lynn and frankly La Russa.  This is the sort of thing you hired him for.  He does do out of the box stuff once and awhile and personally I think it's because he's a very good man manager, all his other foibles aside.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I for one, appreciate how you put a lot of thought into your posts. I value them more than those by others who often  react out of some obvious and lame agenda or  those who perpetually involve themselves in a laughable one-upmanship game.   These are just anonymous posters who have an opinion about a game, so don't feel the need to counter them at every turn.

Edited by tray
  • Like 3

Would be nice if we could cut the “us vs them” mentality within the fanbase. I didn’t like the hiring of Tony. I think he’s made too many mistakes so far. I also hope he succeeds, and credit where it’s due I think he’s had a few solid games in a row now. 
We all want the same thing. White Sox victories. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mharkins said:

I’m in Arizona and heard TRL’s comments on the MLB app radio stream.

Cool I don't ever use the radio stream. Once the TV broadcast is over I like to post in the winner's thread and read through the game thread.TLR isn't going to say much I didn't already know unless he announced if Engel was coming back on Monday or Lopez or someone was being called up to start a game.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea that's what I was about to post. Lynn is a well respected vet, a guy that is a leader and surely knows his body.  The Sox do a good job keeping players on the field for the most part.  They've earned the benefit of the doubt here and so has Lynn and frankly La Russa.  This is the sort of thing you hired him for.  He does do out of the box stuff once and awhile and personally I think it's because he's a very good man manager, all his other foibles aside.

After a season last year where literally no one went 100 innings, injuries are up by crazy amounts all over baseball,  and the guy you are pitching on short rest already had an arm injury this year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I for one, appreciate how you put a lot of thought into your posts. I value them more than those by others who often  react out of some obvious and lame agenda or  those who perpetually involve themselves in a laughable one-upmanship game.   These are just anonymous posters who have an opinion about a game, so don't feel the need to counter them at every turn.

This is a spectacular self own.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, tray said:

You do the same things from the opposite perspective. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After a season last year where literally no one went 100 innings, injuries are up by crazy amounts all over baseball,  and the guy you are pitching on short rest already had an arm injury this year.

Well clearly we disagree here on the crux of it but the details are important and it wasn't an arm injury.  It was a "my upper back and neck feels stiff" injury.  He rested it for a week and a half and it healed.  Go figure.  Just another dad bod trying to be athletic in his mid 30s.

• Haha 1

If would like to assume Hahn, Katz and Lynn are at least reasonably comfortable with him going on short rest with a limited pitch count.

That said, a Lopez call up gives him a chance to prove if he’s had an any progress the past few months, to give him confidence if a pitcher goes down and he needs to fill in for multiple starts, and allows him to work personally with Katz.

Don’t see any team going all season with 6 total SPs, especially this season with the severe increase in games. Also wouldn’t mind seeing a six man rotation for a few weeks before or after the ASB.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I mean if you looked at the winning game thread (which you did) it was already posted and people acknowledged after the fact. 

50 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Would be nice if we could cut the “us vs them” mentality within the fanbase. I didn’t like the hiring of Tony. I think he’s made too many mistakes so far. I also hope he succeeds, and credit where it’s due I think he’s had a few solid games in a row now. 
We all want the same thing. White Sox victories. 

I fully agree with your sediment, but there is very clearly a group of posters here who place La Russa above all else for reasons unknown.  I’m one of La Russa’s biggest critics, but I defended his decision to bat Lamb 6th today.  I’d rather us win with him as manager than lose because of him, but it gets annoying when the same handful of posters post “years of experience” as an excuse for every dumb decision he makes.

I am not a Tony LaRussa fan, anyone who visits this site is aware of that. 

Pulling Lynn at 82 pitches was puzzling in the moment. But considering the upcoming schedule, the opponent today, and having Bummer and Hendricks available for the 6th and 7th...I really have no problem with it. Bummer needs to get his shit together, plain and simple. Love the guy, think he’s nasty...but today was an unacceptable performance. Credit to Heuer for the great work to get them out of the inning. 

Also...Lance Lynn is a boss. This team is TOTALLY different with Dane Dunning in his spot right now. Lynn really elevates this rotation into another place. Very happy he’s here. 

• Like 1