Odd Man Out Post Engel

Who will be the odd man out once Engel is back?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the odd man out once Engel is back?

• Leury Garcia
    • Jake Lamb
    • Billy Hamilton
    • Danny Mendick
  2. 2. Who would you like to see go when Adam is back?

• Leury Garcia
    • Jake Lamb
    • Billy Hamilton
    • Danny Mendick

For me, I think Mendick will get the short end of the stick.  He’s got the option and Leury can play all the same positions as him.  That being said, I’d probably get rid of Leury if it were up to me.  He’s just so bad offensively and while Hamilton is a little bit worse, I like his defensive & base-running abilities in late game situations and he seems like a great clubhouse guy.  Hard to get rid of Lamb until we add another bat that is strong against RHP and Mendick is simply a better player.

Lamb definitely bought more time with the way he hit yesterday. We just need guys who can hit righties. As much as I'd like to not see Leury in the lineup everyday, he's just a much better outfielder than Mendick defensively. Mendick is probably getting sent down unfortunately.

It may shock a few of you that Lamb has a .362 OBP  , .487 SLG , .849 OPS , .138 OPS+ , .141 wRC+ .256 ISO ,14.9 BB% .4 fWAR on the season.

In the last 28 days which includes 6 games started and appearances in 2 other games   .286 BA, .348 OBP , .762 SLG ,1.110 OPS

Early in the season when he wasn't hitting he was taking walks. Now that he is hitting he has only 1 walk in those 8 games he's been in.

He isn't going anywhere with the way the Sox struggle against RHP . In fact you may see more of him in the OF even with the return of Engel.

Mendick is the odd man out  and that's probably as it should be. Leury will sit more. Eaton may also sit more until he is fully healthy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Recent glovework and HR aside, Hamilton is really the only guy Engel makes redundant.  It would be nice to keep Hamilton but you can't lose Leury due to his all-around versatility, and it's also nice to have a PH HR threat on the bench in Lamb.

IMO Mendick gets sent down because he has options.

I also wouldn't be too surprised to see a Mendick trade.  The Sox have Marco Hernandez behind him in Charlotte as a backup, and I really wouldn't be surprised if there are other teams interested in Mendick, especially rebuilding teams with 2B to trade (like the Pirates).  I think Mendick could be a nice fit on a lot of teams, and if the Sox are going to live or die with Madrigal, he is moveable.  And even though I like him, it would be nice to see him get an opportunity elsewhere.  Even if it came back to bite us a little bit.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It may shock a few of you that Lamb has a .362 OBP  , .487 SLG , .849 OPS , .138 OPS+ , .141 wRC+ .256 ISO ,14.9 BB% .4 fWAR on the season.

In the last 28 days which includes 6 games started and appearances in 2 other games   .286 BA, .348 OBP , .762 SLG ,1.110 OPS

Early in the season when he wasn't hitting he was taking walks. Now that he is hitting he has only 1 walk in those 8 games he's been in.

He isn't going anywhere with the way the Sox struggle against RHP . In fact you may see more of him in the OF even with the return of Engel.

Mendick is the odd man out  and that's probably as it should be. Leury will sit more. Eaton may also sit more until he is fully healthy.

The HR power threat is nice, whether the numbers are there (they are ATM) or not.

Collins is also a HR threat but really only against some RHP and he needs regular playing time to really be much of a threat.  So keeping Lamb makes some sense.

6 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Mendick/Mendick

I like the dickman, but that how I see it.

If we send Mendick down, we're a better team via not losing extra depth.  The other guys we all have to DFA or trade, and then we lose depth.  Mendick will go down and it will be purely a baseball move.  

I share your opinion.  I'm a big fan of Danny.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

Danny really doesn't have the arm strength to cover the IF.  Dumping Leury is a dumb and short-sighted move.  He has had a bad start offensively which has been greatly exaggerated thanks to TLR playing him like every single day.  This team really needs 2 MIFs anyway.

It really should be Lamb or Hamilton, with Hamilton the easiest guy to take out because Engel basically takes all his PT away.  But Lamb's power bat off the bench is valuable ATM with our power so low due to injuries.

Lamb has a real hard time getting playing time also with Vaughn doing so well in the OF.  You're rarely going to sit Yoan and Lamb in the OF or at 1B isn't great defensively so basically he makes the most sense as a PH power bat.

Sending Mendick down ATM is an easy call.  He is a MLBer and will be back up soon.  

And sentimental feelings aside, when Robert is back, you really can't justify carrying Hamilton unless Leury is going to be IF-only and Eaton is hurt.  And when Eloy is back you can't justify Lamb either.  So both of these guys have helped the cause, but they will both eventually have to go.  And when they do, Mendick becomes even more necessary.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

Glad Lamb had a few good games this year, but too much hype over a NRI player using ratios over 49 PAs. When Engel returns, he should be playing on a regular basis.

People loved/love trashing McCann for having protected at bats the prior two years, and he covered a majority (2019) or nearly half (2020) of all games, plus serving as the defacto pitching coach and the great game calling and handling of Lucas and other younger pitchers. 

A start a week for a defensive cipher / DH only type (the way Oakland used him) is more than enough. There is a reason Tony only played him 4 full games (going 0-16) over the first 2 months, pulling him both for defensive purposes and cherry picking at bats to avoid facing fresh relievers and non platoon advantage at bats.

Mendick is the easy call. 

1. He has an option, so it the easiest to send down and recall when needed.

2. Lamb is the much better hitter, and is a lefty, which we could use more of.

3. Garcia is more versatile because he can also play CF, and switch hits. He's been overplayed this year, but that's because he's covering for injured players. 

4. Hamilton has had some nice games where he's made real impact.  HRs in back to back 3-1 wins over Baltimore.  Great catch with the bases loaded yesterday. He has value for spot roles. 

54 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Mendick is the easy call. 

1. He has an option, so it the easiest to send down and recall when needed.

2. Lamb is the much better hitter, and is a lefty, which we could use more of.

3. Garcia is more versatile because he can also play CF, and switch hits. He's been overplayed this year, but that's because he's covering for injured players. 

4. Hamilton has had some nice games where he's made real impact.  HRs in back to back 3-1 wins over Baltimore.  Great catch with the bases loaded yesterday. He has value for spot roles. 

Switch hitting is meaningless when you are garbage from one side.